The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

32 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Then why is CDC so infatuated in picking Mitelstadt and Vilardi, when many scouts have said both players are more than likely to become wingers than centermen?

They didn't say that at all actually. They said that both players could have success at the NHL playing wing. However it is not the end all plan for both players. 

50 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I wouldn't want to do it but I'd be willing to move the 33 pick down into the 40s to flip 3 for 5 and lock in on Vilardi as it's probably the only way that happens for us. I'd play with Colorado too but only at the draft and only if Vilardi is still there. I really think something like this could happen as Dallas and Colorado are both probably looking at Makar or Heiskanen anyway based on team need. Stay tuned I guess eh.

Unfortunately, it would take a hell of a lot more then swapping 33 for 40 something to get up to the number 3 pick. The value of having that 3rd pick to select Vilardi, is so much more valuable then having to select between Heiskanen, Liljegren, Makar, Mittlestadt, Glass, Necas, Rasmussen, Pettersson, etc. (Those are all the different names you hear at number 5)

Like you mentioned though, I hope both Makar and Heiskanen go at 3 and 4. Im confident one of the two will take Heiskanen, but Vilardi to get past over twice is unlikely.

**This draft kind of reminds me of a few years ago. Patrick is the Reinhart, Hischier is the Ehlers, Heiskanen is kinda the Ekblad, Glass is the Dal Cole, and Rasmussen is the local boy Virtanen. But its possible that Vilardi, the Draisaitl, becomes the best player in the draft

Vilradi will be something like 6`3 220 at the NHL level. He is 11 months younger then Nolan Patrick. He has the best fancy stats on Windsor by far. Every single forward on the team had stronger numbers with Vilardi on their line. He`s the only guy outside the top two that makes you feel comfortable that you have your future 1st line centre.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You should be able to squeeze more out of Dallas for taking that contract.  

Benning needs to somehow pry that 3rd away from them without giving up our 5th 

Tanev + prospect/young player or draft pick    for      Goalie + 3rd 

I'd honestly prefer to see if we couldn't get their ANA 1st (+?) for taking Lehtonen alone.

Move Tanev to ARZ for their 7th+

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd rather Benning figure out out a way to acquire another high pick then simply "move up".

But JB, for the love of God, don't trade the farm away just to move up a couple of spots. Can anybody say with any certainty that Patrick or Hischier will be better than Vilardi, Glass or Mittelstadt?

Middlestadt could easily be the best of the draft.  So could Makar.  

51 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd rather Benning figure out out a way to acquire another high pick then simply "move up".

But JB, for the love of God, don't trade the farm away just to move up a couple of spots. Can anybody say with any certainty that Patrick or Hischier will be better than Vilardi, Glass or Mittelstadt?

No not even close

2 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

That might depend on whether Clayton Keller is loaned to them or not.

Fair point. It's always a little extra reason for me to grab a player that makes one of the national teams and has instrumental role in a run... Mittel, Necas, Glass... we really can't go wrong in that department. I think it's great for their development and learning how to be in the spot light. 

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I wouldn't mind trading up to third if the price isn't too bad maybe swap picks and take one of their goalies. Guarantee Vilardi at 3rd if he's really the guy they like also I think there is a small small chance of Vilardi going 2nd and Patrick going 3rd.

If they could make the trade with just taking on one of those goalie contracts I'd be all over it 

37 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I'd rather glass or Mittlestadt and whoever they're targeting in the 55th range for sure

Mittelstadt is a player I wouldn't mind having. I like Glass too but he's not the next Johansen. 

Edited by messier's_elbow

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You should be able to squeeze more out of Dallas for taking that contract.  

Benning needs to somehow pry that 3rd away from them without giving up our 5th 

Tanev + prospect/young player or draft pick    for      Goalie + 3rd 

Agree. I'd only do the trade with Dallas if we can somehow not give up the 5th.

Draft a C and D.

Edited by CANUCK-EXPRESS

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Sounds like pure speculation. But even if it's true that there have been conversations, who is to say that Dallas didn't initiate them because they would like to trade their lottery ticket for some immediate help?

In the interview JB didn't really seem like he was to interested.. He basically just said, yeah we will call them but we are happy picking at 5

I found this quote from Devils director of amateur scouting, Paul Castron, quite interesting, it talks about their interview with glass a bit

I have to keep reminding myself and the whole staff that we're in the projection business. I think it's so easy to get caught up in the thought that this guy scored 40 goals this year and that guy only got 15, but maybe the 40 guy got way more ice time or was on a better team and that's why he had better numbers … does that necessarily mean he's a better player? What about five years from now? It's hard because numbers do jump out at you and they're hard to ignore. For example, Cody Glass (projected as a top-10 selection) had 94 points last year and there's nothing to him (6'2", 170). When he puts on 25 pounds, how much better can he be? He's got a lot of upside. So in his interview I asked him to compare himself to other players in the WHL, and what I really wanted to know is if he thought he was better than Nolan Patrick and he said, "Not today, but maybe in a few years I will be." That's what we need to keep in mind as we put this draft list together. We're not trying to decide who is the better player today, but who's going to be the better player in two, three, five years - once they've filled out physically and developed their skills a little bit more. It's hard. 

• Upvote 3