The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

10 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't disagree, but here is my only fear...........

Tanev is on a high right now, as much as he has his injuries woes, he is at a apex in his career....that is not to say he doesn't have a better year next year, but the chances are he doesn't get any better, or marginally at best...... now, he could have another injury, and if it is substantial and misses another 20 games, is one year older, one less year on his contract and his value drops.

At the same time, as this year is an off year, with no "generational" talent, Tanev buys a higher pick, not necessarily a better player, but a higher pick....but the scouts say this isn't a bad draft, just that the top 2 aren't as high.......so I would take the ball when it is there for me to grab.....aka Hamhuis and Russel to a degree

I am not sure you take the risk of waiting with Tanev.............Edler, yes let's wait, but if we are going after top end prospects, there will be some and it's Benning's job to find them

To me it is a similar risk to that of a NCAA pick. Once drafted, the quicker they want to sign in most cases, or suffer the possibility of injury, or a bad season before trying to negotiate a contract .....the risk is theirs......most agents will push them to sign before their last year, while they are on top and someone else hasn't taken their place.... same goes for Benning and Tanev

That may be a poor example......but the risk is they don't have as good of a season, for what ever reason and loose value

Agree with all your points but you still don't trade him just because of potential injury etc. If the deal is solid sure pull the trigger. But when I see trade suggestions out Toronto of 2 middling prospects that don't have elite upside and a later first rounder, that's more of a trade for the sake of it.

Bring us a high first (Dallas #3 overall), or Buffalo #8 and an elite prospect like Nylander, then you have my attention and likely JB starts thinking about it.

Edited by PassittoBoeser
  • Upvote 1

I'm not really a fan of picking defencemen with top-5 or top-10 picks unless they're highly touted and projected to become elite. Too much can change in a defenceman's development from the draft whereas centers and wingers picked in the top-10 have far less room to change. I think you take a center in this draft and use later picks on D-men unless there's a real elite guy out there. 

Juolevi was a controversial pick of course but the right one for the team at the time. We just watched a classic center vs defence matchup in the SCF and this time, the generational centers won. I'd still pick defence over forwards when constructing a team, but right now the Canucks need a top-6 center and Vilardi, Mittelstatd, Petterson, Glass and even Necas have that potential. It's no secret we need centers and defence, and in a draft where we have a stab at both but neither being elite, I say we go for the center. The 2018 draft looks flush with elite defencemen apart from Dahlin so lets hope we snag a defenceman then, but for 2017 I'd try and pick the best center.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We just watched a classic center vs defence matchup in the SCF and this time, the generational centers won.

That "generational center" you mentioned could go down as one of the top 5 best players in the league. Just imagine if I compared Bobby Orr's impact with the other All-Star centers of his time - guess who'd win the comparison. Generational players should never be included in comparisons. 

• Upvote 4

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/05/28/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-47-jesper-boqvist/

Jesper Boqvist is a speedy, skilled player that has some evaluators divided on what his future holds. It’s not so much the ceiling that is up for debate (all seem to agree that it’s quite high), but whether he can still provide any value if he doesn’t reach it. Showing flashes of elite skill and a high level of intelligent, Boqvist’s effort level waxes and wanes, and he seems to have little regard for physical play or working his way into the high percentage areas of the ice.

Despite some red flags, Boqvist’s obvious talent will have teams hoping that they can coax a complete game out of him. Boqvist lands at #47 on our list of draft eligible players.

Bio:

• Birthplace: Falun, SWE
  • Frame: 6’0″ / 179 lbs
  • Position: Centre/Wing
  • Handedness: Left
  • Draft Year Team: Brynas IF
  • Accomplishments/Awards: SHL SM-silver Medal (16/17); Hlinka Memorial Silver Medal, U18 WJC Silver Medal (15/16); J18 SM Gold Medal (14/15)

Stats

Career

jesper-boqvist-ep.png

2016-17

jesper-boqvist-point-tracker.png

Cohort Based (pGPS)

jesper-boqvist-pgps.png jesper-boqvist-bubbles.pngjesper-boqvist-xpro-bubbles.pngjesper-boqvist-lines.png

Scouts

jesper-boqvist-scouts.png

From Future Considerations:

A speedster with lethal offensive skill…possesses a smooth-skating style and often makes use of his speed to beat defensemen on the outside…his speed combined with very fine hands is what makes him such a dangerous player…reads the play and defense well…can both find teammates with passes or deke defenders…is strong on the puck for a player his size, and is difficult to catch…will carry the puck into the offensive zone and hold on to it in order to let his teammates get into position…his intensity can go from high to non-existent so his consistency will need to be addressed…can use both speed and hands to create scoring chances…great playmaking skills, but could use a little work on his shot…his combination of quick feet and quick hands makes him dangerous…high-upside, offensive forward on the next level.

From Corey Pronman of ESPN (Excerpt only – full article behind pay wall):

Boqvist possesses very good speed and puck skills. You occasionally see him have a “wow” moment where he makes a very creative play with the puck, or evade pressure in a difficult manner. He can be taken out of the game physically, though. I have never been a huge fan of his defensive play, but the way he’s transitioned to the pro game gives me some optimism that he could be a competent forward in his own end.

From Jimmy Hamrin of McKeen’s Hockey (Excerpt only – full article behind pay wall):

A creative offensive player with quick feet and quick hands. He has NHL potential but needs to get stronger and more consistent in his decision making on the ice. If he reaches his potential it will be as a top 6 player because that is where he can contribute. His best asset is his puck control at high-top speed. He has impressively been able to produce points at any level that he has faced so far and his skill set has elite potential. For the upcoming draft, I see Boqvist as a good second round pick that has the chance to pan out well for the team that picks him. He still has a lot of ground work to do with his game and will need a couple more years of development before reaching his potential.

From The Draft Analyst:

The stats are really impressive – almost half a point per game through two upper tiers of Swedish hockey. While I can make a strong case for a roadrunner like Boqvist to be closer to the first round, his marginal all-around game and over-confidence with the puck makes him somewhat of a gamble. But this kid has game-breaking skills and can beat goalies just about any way imaginable.

Our Take

Boqvist fits the traditionally bill of a boom-or-bust player. Although some prospect evaluators have soured on that term, I believe it simply needs to be used in a specific context – and this is one of them. Boqvist has a boatload of speed and skill, and the potential to be a top six producer at the NHL level. However, he must bulk up and learn to deal with the physicality of professional hockey, especially North American professional hockey, in order to stick around at that level. He’s not there yet, and if he doesn’t develop that, he may never play an NHL game. Boom/bust.

Across the pond, Boqvist has found some semblance of success in the top Swedish leagues, netting 12 points in 19 games in the Allsvenskan, and six assists in 16 games in the Swedish Hockey League. While that isn’t an elite level of production, it’s nothing to scoff at.

In the SHL, Boqvist averaged 8:15 of ice time, with a smidgen of power play time (0:28 per game, for 7:46 in total over 16 games) and no penalty kill time. He started out getting next to nothing, before being bumped up to middle six minutes after a stint in the Tier-2 league. He rewarded his coach with six points in a four game stretch, but he went quiet after that. He played a further 10 games for Brynas in the SHL playoffs, with his ice time increased to an average of 10:23, but he collected just one point (his first SHL goal) and his shot rate crashed.

jesper-boqvist-toi-tracker1.png

Whatever happened to Boqvist’s offence, he didn’t appear to hurt the team too much – they scored 12 goals while he was on the ice at even strength, and allowed only six against, including not being on the ice for any goals against in the post-season.

Boqvist’s time in the Allsvenskan yielded better raw production. He played for Timra IK, spending a fair bit of his time there with top 2017 prospect Elias Pettersson and Canucks prospect Jonathan Dahlen, who surely helped boost his production. They certainly helped his on-ice numbers, as seen below – luckily I happen to have WOWY numbers from Timra thanks to the Deep Dive I did on Dahlen when the Canucks acquired him.

jesper-boqvist-timra-wowy.png

In the SuperElit league, Boqvist was a point per game player for the brief time that he spent there, scoring 10 goals on 26 shots for a slightly ridiculous 38.5% shooting percentage. He played centre during at that level, losing more draws than he won (he had a faceoff percentage of 46%) though that didn’t seem to effect his production at all, nor his on-ice results – he also had a 69% Goals-For percentage in the junior league.

Boqvist figures to go at some point in the second round at the end of June, and he will be a very interesting prospect to follow over the next few years. If he fulfills his potential, the team that nabs him could make out like bandits – but the situation could just as easily end in disappointment for all involved. A lot of this will depend on Boqvist’s ability to develop a more well rounded game to survive at the North American professional level for an extended period of time

i dont really understand the statistical charts very well, but he would be a guy i'd keep an eye on for the second round.

I know this scares people a lot, but reminds me exactly the same kind of player like Anton Rodin was when first scouted.

1 hour ago, Caniners77 said:

I for one believe the Canucks need to keep building our D corps. Maker is the guy we should absolutely take at 5. The more defensemen we have and develop the better the trade apportunities we'll have later. Teams are absolutely clamouring after D every year. You can't go wrong. We take Makar finish bottom 10 next year in a better draft we'll get our centre. Who knows Benning may even stumble on a gem this year ! 

The only thing is next years d corps could be the best in a long time. I like both Dahlin and Merkley better than Makar. I want to go forwards this year because I really want Dahlin or Merkley next year.

http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/04/11/2018-nhl-draft-led-defensemen/

• Upvote 1

I know a team should always take the BPA and if they feel a dman is the way to go this year I'm all for it but was just thinking next years draft is very top heavy with defence (Dahlin, Merkley, Wilde and McIssac) all potentially going top 10 and very thin when it comes to C so if they feel it's close enough to take a C talent wise, they should! 

16 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The only thing is next years d corps could be the best in a long time. I like both Dahlin and Merkley better than Makar. I want to go forwards this year because I really want Dahlin or Merkley next year.

http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/04/11/2018-nhl-draft-led-defensemen/

For me, Dahlin's much better for sure, but I like Merkley and Makar just the same. But next year, for the center position, it's actually arguably more stacked than this year with Svechnikov (who some think will ultimately play center) or Veleno or Brady Tkachuk (who can play both center and wing). 

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this has been already posted (The 2017 "Do Not Draft" List, The Hockey Writers, published on June 11, 2017):

The 2017 “Do Not Draft” List

Casey Mittelstadt (Rank: 3rd NA)

Don’t get me wrong, Mittelstadt will become a good hockey player. I just think he’s not the third best player in this draft. I’d rather have Gabriel Vilardi, Owen Tippett, Cody Glass, Miro Heiskanen and Cale Makar over Mittelstadt. If Mittelstadt starts falling down on draft night, then it’s a good idea to grab him. He’s in the top 10-12 for me, not top three.

Timothy Liljegren (Rank: 6th Euro)

This might be an unpopular opinion, but Liljegren is not a first rounder for me. The reason he makes this list is that there are teams that could take him in the top-10. Given skating and injury concerns, that’s not a chance I’m willing to take. I’ve seen a lot of chatter that the Sabres would take him eighth overall. He’s my eighth-ranked defenseman. The other seven? Heiskanen, Makar, Valimaki, Foote, Timmins, Hague and Jokiharju.

This writer holds the view that Liljegren is not even a first rounder. Wow. Interesting Stuff, I would say. If that's truly the case and he drops out of the first round Canucks have to snag him at #33. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

This writer holds the view that Liljegren is not even a first rounder. Wow. Interesting Stuff, I would say. If that's truly the case and he drops out of the first round Canucks have to snag him at #33. 

Imho, that's very much wishful thinking. Liljegren is easily one of the most talented players in this draft, and he's playing such a prime position.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Not sure if this has been already posted (The 2017 "Do Not Draft" List, The Hockey Writers, published on June 11, 2017):

Casey Mittelstadt (Rank: 3rd NA)

Don’t get me wrong, Mittelstadt will become a good hockey player. I just think he’s not the third best player in this draft. I’d rather have Gabriel Vilardi, Owen Tippett, Cody Glass, Miro Heiskanen and Cale Makar over Mittelstadt. If Mittelstadt starts falling down on draft night, then it’s a good idea to grab him. He’s in the top 10-12 for me, not top three.

Timothy Liljegren (Rank: 6th Euro)

This might be an unpopular opinion, but Liljegren is not a first rounder for me. The reason he makes this list is that there are teams that could take him in the top-10. Given skating and injury concerns, that’s not a chance I’m willing to take. I’ve seen a lot of chatter that the Sabres would take him eighth overall. He’s my eighth-ranked defenseman. The other seven? Heiskanen, Makar, Valimaki, Foote, Timmins, Hague and Jokiharju.

Both guys could be considered high risk high reward picks. Shouldn't go top-5 for sure though. Mittelstatd's favour has really dropped off of late and to be honest I'd take Vilardi or Glass over him any day. That being said he deserves going in the top-15 or even top-10, but he won't be elite. Got a feeling he'll be similar to McCann and the probability he lives up to that potential is more likely with Mittelstatd.

There was a time when Liljegren was supposedly going first overall. If these injuries are purely a thing of the past, he could end up being the steal of the draft like Chychrun was. Deserves to go in the top-20 for sure but I doubt he's a top-10 pick anymore. High risk because he could end up a bust but very high reward because he might end up being a slick, big puck moving defenceman like Ekholm with more offence or a poor-man's Karlsson at the very best.

14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

he’s a back-to-back winner of most valuable player and top blueliner in the Canadian Junior Hockey League.  In his last two full seasons in the Alberta Junior Hockey League, he amassed 35 goals and 100 assists in 111 games. That alone commanded attention, but there was much more.  At the 2017 World Junior A Championship in December, he had five goals and four assists in eight games.  Makar also assisted on both goals in the RBC Cup final but the Bandits fell 3-2 in overtime to Ontario’s Cobourg Cougars.

But...but...but...that's only the best in Junior A and against the best in Canada and the world.  That skill won't translate.  I mean...come on

Am I Forsberging right :P

12 hours ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

Haha Canuck luck is awful

You want Canuck Luck?

Canucks DO trade to 3, Patrick falls to 3; we draft Patrick.  Patrick flames out 4 years later due to chronic injuries and never progresses past oft injured 3rd liner.

Canucks draft Petterson at 5.  People moan, Petterson comes to the AHL and tears it UP.  But never grows past 179 pounds and is unable to handle the abuse at the NHL level becoming a great international player, a solid AHL player but never establishes himself as a regular 3rd line player.

canucks do though find a serviceable bottom 6 player in the 5th round and people claim a moral victory over it

Now that sir, is canuck luck

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm not really a fan of picking defencemen with top-5 or top-10 picks unless they're highly touted and projected to become elite. Too much can change in a defenceman's development from the draft whereas centers and wingers picked in the top-10 have far less room to change. I think you take a center in this draft and use later picks on D-men unless there's a real elite guy out there. 

Juolevi was a controversial pick of course but the right one for the team at the time. We just watched a classic center vs defence matchup in the SCF and this time, the generational centers won. I'd still pick defence over forwards when constructing a team, but right now the Canucks need a top-6 center and Vilardi, Mittelstatd, Petterson, Glass and even Necas have that potential. It's no secret we need centers and defence, and in a draft where we have a stab at both but neither being elite, I say we go for the center. The 2018 draft looks flush with elite defencemen apart from Dahlin so lets hope we snag a defenceman then, but for 2017 I'd try and pick the best center.

Agreed, it was a pretty cut and dry C v D scenario but

When the C's you're speaking of are two of the best to possibly ever play the game in the modern era in Sid and Malkin, vs a D corps with no Lidstrom, Pronger, Neidermeyer, Stevens or "pure generational D" with their top line center as well out of the series it's going to be one sided.

High props to the Preds no doubt but the writing was on the wall for them.  Defense like theirs took that Pens team to 6 and I for one am happy if the canucks for the first time ever start stockpiling D like that in 3-5 consecutive drafts.  It is called the long game.  Drafting and developing D knowing they will take longer; ensuring that cornerstone D is there before then swinging in to top offensive forwards via the draft and trade routes.

51 minutes ago, CAkNUCKle sandwich said:

Makes the countdown to draft day all the more exciting!! 

Well that sure is interesting.  

Quick everyone go back and edit your posts so that the 3rd overall proposals are now 1st overall lol

Edited by Baratheon
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Caniners77 said:

I for one believe the Canucks need to keep building our D corps. Maker is the guy we should absolutely take at 5. The more defensemen we have and develop the better the trade apportunities we'll have later. Teams are absolutely clamouring after D every year. You can't go wrong. We take Makar finish bottom 10 next year in a better draft we'll get our centre. Who knows Benning may even stumble on a gem this year ! 

Next year only has 2 centers projected to go in the top 15, yes things can change but. Next years draft is loaded with defense. 

And yes plenty could go wrong if you take makar, he could never pan out and then you just wasted a 5th overall pick. 

41 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You want Canuck Luck?

Canucks DO trade to 3, Patrick falls to 3; we draft Patrick.  Patrick flames out 4 years later due to chronic injuries and never progresses past oft injured 3rd liner.

Canucks draft Petterson at 5.  People moan, Petterson comes to the AHL and tears it UP.  But never grows past 179 pounds and is unable to handle the abuse at the NHL level becoming a great international player, a solid AHL player but never establishes himself as a regular 3rd line player.

canucks do though find a serviceable bottom 6 player in the 5th round and people claim a moral victory over it

Now that sir, is canuck luck

not to mention we missed out on  Gilbert Perreault  my an mm,  lafontte hitting the post in 1994, and bure missing a open net in game 7, dan cloutier centre ice, mumps, and falling to fifth overall two times