The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

11 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Just looking at raw statistics, Juuso Valimaki looks really good. Left hand shot defenseman, 6'2" and 200 lbs, has 26 points in 24 games in the WHL including 6 goals. He captained the gold-medal winning Finnish U18 team this past summer, the same team that had Puljujarvi as a later addition. 

Current rankings have him in the early to mid 20s. Could be a good pick up, but obvs we need forwards.

He had a hat trick last night too. Up to 9 goals on the season, and 29 points in 25 games

5 hours ago, Derp... said:

He had a hat trick last night too. Up to 9 goals on the season, and 29 points in 25 games

Wowww!!! Apparently he's on quite a hot streak too. A poster on HFBoards said at the end of 24 games in his last 11 games played he's had 4 goals and 14 assists.

Add in last night's hat trick performance against the Giants, and in his last 12 games he's had 7 goals and 14 assists for 21 points!

15 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

If we don't get a top 3 pick I wouldn't mind taking a big look at Middlestadt. Centre, Slick hands and good speed. Looks like he could be a good playmaking centre. 

Mittelstadt is by far the best offensive player in this year's draft aside from Nolan Patrick. He's also pretty good defensively and he's very competitive. It should be a no brainer for him to be going in the top 5. By the time the Canucks pick, he could be gone.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Mittelstadt is by far the best offensive player in this year's draft aside from Nolan Patrick. He's also pretty good defensively and he's very competitive. It should be a no brainer for him to be going in the top 5. By the time the Canucks pick, he could be gone.

Yeah he looks offensively gifted and that's what we need in our forward group going forward but I guess we will see where we land in the draft. As of right now I agree he looks like a top 5 pick.

3 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I've been following Mittelstadt since his USHL season started, and I have to say, he's a very intriguing prospect.

46 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

I've been following Mittelstadt since his USHL season started, and I have to say, he's a very intriguing prospect.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with Middlestadt, Hischier, Tolvanen, or Vilardi. Obviously if we finish top 3 it's either Patrick or Liljegren. 

And to be honest, Horvat is making a case to be our future 1st line 60-70 point centerman. In just his 3rd year in the NHL, Horvat's on pace for 60 points and nearly 30 goals. I would much rather get Liljegren who excites me more and will be our best defender this franchise has ever had. Doughty 2.0. Also bigger than Doughty too.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Honestly, you can't go wrong with Middlestadt, Hischier, Tolvanen, or Vilardi. Obviously if we finish top 3 it's either Patrick or Liljegren. 

And to be honest, Horvat is making a case to be our future 1st line 60-70 point centerman. In just his 3rd year in the NHL, Horvat's on pace for 60 points and nearly 30 goals. I would much rather get Liljegren who excites me more and will be our best defender this franchise has ever had. Doughty 2.0. Also bigger than Doughty too.

We'll see how it all folds out in June. I think both are phenomenal prospects, and the Canucks could certainly find a place in their lineup for both. 

Imagine Liljegren, and Mittelstad. Would go a long way for this franchise. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, SwedeHockey said:

We'll see how it all folds out in June. I think both are phenomenal prospects, and the Canucks could certainly find a place in their lineup for both. 

Imagine Liljegren, and Mittelstad. Would go a long way for this franchise. 

Wouldn't mind getting another top 15 pick. But I agree on the bolded part. Thing about this draft is that there's no consensus 1st overall pick, it's up for grabs. Patrick, Middlestadt, Hischier, Liljegren, hell even Valimaki, basically everybody in the top 10 are making their cases. 

I think it comes down to Patrick, Hischier, Liljegren, or Middlestadt for the 1st overall pick. 

• Upvote 2

Sedins will retire either after the 2016/17 season or after the 2017/18 season. I think our weakest position for prospects is first line LW. With our first round pick. Hopefully we get to pick in the top 5. I say we take the best LW available or C who can play LW. We need to draft a core franchise player who will dominate on our 1st line and score goals. 

28 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Wouldn't mind getting another top 15 pick. But I agree on the bolded part. Thing about this draft is that there's no consensus 1st overall pick, it's up for grabs. Patrick, Middlestadt, Hischier, Liljegren, hell even Valimaki, basically everybody in the top 10 are making their cases. 

I think it comes down to Patrick, Hischier, Liljegren, or Middlestadt for the 1st overall pick. 

Liljegren has definitely made a case for first overall, to the point that nobody would question the team that takes him instead of Patrick. He and Patrick are going to be for-sure elite players. Mittelstadt has a bit less going for him, as he is in that range where he'd be considered a potential elite player. In my eyes I see him as less of a sure shot, but a higher ceiling. 
A "maybe" when it comes to being an elite player, and the potential to bloom into a franchise center is what I'd say.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

I wouldn't mind having a late 1st rounder to be honest. Guys like Comtois, Necas, Valamaki would all likely be available around 15-20 and Comtois was projected to go top 5. He would be a nice steal in my opinion. Like a Boone Jenner pick lets say

Or in the same draft, Brandon saad, who was projected to be a top 10 pick and feel to the second round 

8 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

What are your thoughts on Hischier? Do you think he has similar upside of becoming a potential elite player?

Edited by Blömqvist

11 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

What are your thoughts on Hischier? Do you think he has similar upside of becoming a potential elite player?

Everybody I've talked to has him in the top 10. I think he's definitely a potential elite player, and, in the same boat as Mittelstadt, where he could bloom into a franchise player. Not a sure shot though. Potential is there to reach really high.

• Upvote 1