The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Tolvanen looks like he has some really great offensive instincts. He seems to always be in good position and can find open teammates or unleash his lethal shot. The quickenss in his release and the overall shot velocity reminds me of McCann, and a lot of the same instincts are there as well. Style wise, he looks like Kucherov out there, but I'm not really sure about how likely he is to reach that ceiling. He would be a great add to our prospect pool at forward though and give us two dangerous snipers along with Boeser:

Tolvanen - Horvat - Virtanen

Baertschi - ______ - Boeser

Granlund - Gaunce - Lockwood

In theory, I'd rather take a centre or a defenseman this year and a winger next year. But if it works out that Tolvanen is the best player available, then we can't really complain.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Qwags said:

Besides Nolan Patrick, I know next to nothing about this draft class, other than the fact that it's decidedly weaker than previous drafts. Any potiential big names?

It isn't weaker, anybody who says that doesn't know what they're talking about. Just because there's no generational talent to look forward to doesn't mean there aren't solid players to be had. The parity in the top 10 alone is absurd.

5 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

It isn't weaker, anybody who says that doesn't know what they're talking about. Just because there's no generational talent to look forward to doesn't mean there aren't solid players to be had. The parity in the top 10 alone is absurd.

Bob Mackenzie stated something along the lines of "this years draft is a notch down from last years". 

IMG_0337.JPG

17 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

The top 5 could even go Patrick, Mittelstadt, Liljegren, Hischier, Vilardi at this point. It's so variable and early on in the year. 
This top five was recently suggested to me by a Sportsnet source; not naming. Whether I'd agree with it... Hischier has definitely risen to that point. Thoughts?

There is certainly not the hype of previous drafts in this one.  How many of these top five are sure NHL players?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

There is certainly not the hype of previous drafts in this one.  How many of these top five are sure NHL players?  

That's the thing, we don't really have an idea of what this year's draft class will look like in the NHL. It's kind of... well, there aren't a whole lot of sure shots. In other years, there have already been visions of futures for players. McDavid, we already knew, was going to fit in as a league leader and point getter. Nolan Patrick and Mittelstadt have the potential to be league leaders in points, Liljegren has potential to be a #1 franchise D, Vilardi/Hischier/Poehling have potentil to be #1 centers. There's more potential in this draft than many others, but whether potential translates to success and 0% chance of failure is... well that hasn't really been talked about. I would say there aren't any sure shot NHL players yet. We'll see later on in the year whether any players cement themselves as prominent NHLers. Right now, the closest to those ideals are Patrick, Mitelstadt, Liljegren, and Tolvanen.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Prospects website, Mckeens with the first shock in there rankings. Btw they are notorious for different rankings than most. 2012 having galchenyuk first, 2016 having laine over AM. 

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2017-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-nov-2016-swiss/

As per that McKeen's Hockey article,

"He can beat you in so many ways," says Halifax Mooseheads head coach Andre Tourigny. 'He can beat you with faceoffs. he can beat you with defensive play. He's really, really proud of his defence, he can beat you with his work ethic, his intensity, his skill, he can beat you on the rush. He can beat you on the power play, he can beat you on the PK. He's a really complete player. I compare him a lot to Henrik Zetterberg when he was in his prime. When you were playing against him he was always efficient in every area of the game.'

"As is often the case with young European players it took Hischier a few games to adapt to the North American game. After starting the season goalless in his first five games, Hischier has been lethal. In his last 11 games, Hischier has scored 14 goals and 12 assists, vaulting him to third overall in QMJHL scoring."

Those rankings though... they are really... well... confusing? Gabe Vilardi at 16 and Michael Rasmussen at 3? Rasmussen needs some love and is probably a top-15 pick because of his size and his production.

5 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

As per that McKeen's Hockey article,

"He can beat you in so many ways," says Halifax Mooseheads head coach Andre Tourigny. 'He can beat you with faceoffs. he can beat you with defensive play. He's really, really proud of his defence, he can beat you with his work ethic, his intensity, his skill, he can beat you on the rush. He can beat you on the power play, he can beat you on the PK. He's a really complete player. I compare him a lot to Henrik Zetterberg when he was in his prime. When you were playing against him he was always efficient in every area of the game.'

"As is often the case with young European players it took Hischier a few games to adapt to the North American game. After starting the season goalless in his first five games, Hischier has been lethal. In his last 11 games, Hischier has scored 14 goals and 12 assists, vaulting him to third overall in QMJHL scoring."

Those rankings though... they are really... well... confusing? Gabe Vilardi at 16 and Michael Rasmussen at 3? Rasmussen needs some love and is probably a top-15 pick because of his size and his production.

Yeah I agree. Vilardi is going to challenge Patrick and Liljegren for the 1st overall. He's so promising. If we get a top 3 pick and he's available, I would have no regrets picking Gabe. He's going to flourish in the NHL no doubt when it's all said and done. 

Vilardi reminds me of a Jason Spezza type of player. Great stick handling, excellent distributor on the PP, creates a lot of room with above average speed and great stickhandling. Hes got great hockey sense too. 

If we finished in the bottom 6. Id be happy with any of - Patrick, Liljegren, Vilardi, Middlestadt, Hischier, Tolvanen. 

If we were in this position with next years draft, id be more than excited. Everybody keeps talking about Velano, yes he loos like a great prospect. But, for me Dahlin is number 1. He looks unreal. He checks all the boxes for a franchise changing dman. 

Edited by KKnight
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Vilardi reminds me of a Jason Spezza type of player. Great stick handling, excellent distributor on the PP, creates a lot of room with above average speed and great stickhandling. Hes got great hockey sense too. 

If we finished in the bottom 6. Id be happy with any of - Patrick, Liljegren, Vilardi, Middlestadt, Hischier, Tolvanen. 

If we were in this position with next years draft, id be more than excited. Everybody keeps talking about Velano, yes he loos like a great prospect. But, for me Dahlin is number 1. He looks unreal. He checks all the boxes for a franchise changing dman. 

Next year is quite heavy on d-man. Perfect year for teams needing help on d to get some of those gems. Very loaded

Edited by Odd.

19 hours ago, KKnight said:

For those who dont know. Rasmus Dahlin is a left handed Dman, can play either side, is an absolute force, plays in a mens league and is dominating. 13 points in 10 games. 

To me it looks like 13 points in J 20 league.

2 points in 8 games in mens league? 

Link

Still impressive for a 16 y/o

I think we could get away with not completely tanking this year, but next year shouldn't be an option. If we do bottom out this year and next year, we could end up with possibly the best defense in modern hockey history:

Dahlin - Liljegren

Juolevi - Tanev

Tryamkin - Stetcher

Gudbranson

I doubt we would keep all those guys, but it would be worth the relatively short wait.