The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

If we picking in the top 10 I would mind taking a chance on Nikita Popugaev. He is huge almost 6'6 and is fifth in scoring in the WHL. He has a high skill level and shot but he skating is his main criticism. Skating can be improved tho look at Bo Horvat. He could be a gem, I cant think of another 6'6 winger with his level of skill. 

8 hours ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

I will bet you $10,000 that the 3rd overall draft pick in this summers NHL draft will be Las Vegas.

They're only guaranteed 3rd position in the lottery.

"Las Vegas will be given the same draft lottery odds as a team that finishes third to last in the league. This gives them an edge over the 2000 Minnesota Wild and Columbus Blue Jackets, the NHL’s most recent expansion teams who chose third and fourth respectively in their inaugural drafts, as Las Vegas will at least have a possibility of picking first overall. However, Las Vegas also stands the risk of falling as far as #6 overall if the lottery balls don’t bounce their way." Link

Edited by Canorth

I started the season expecting a top 5 pick but have had to lower my expectation. Van goal tending is stealing games and the d-core has leap frogged its evolution by 2 - 3 years. I suspect a bottom third finish now. Further injuries could of course change all this. Canucks do not have any depth to absorb injuries.

Columbus is having a great season. Does this mean we get Tort's 2nd Rounder this year? It is supposed to be a weaker draft so maybe they decide to bite the bullet now rather than next year.

Edited by Boudrias

We will most likely get a top 10 pick but probably end up with a late 1st rounder since there's always a shot of making it into the playoffs. Our young guys probably want to experience what it's like playing in the big stage. If we do end up with top 3 and #3 overall, Hischier and Vilardi would probably have to be on their radar. While in the late round pick, I'd go with a guy like Comtois. He could be the one that got away and has lots of upside. 

1) Liljegren

2) Hischier

3) Patrick

4) Mittlestadt

5) Andersson

I think Liljegren has the highest potential of any player in this draft. If he hits it he will be the best player by far.

The main reason Patrick is below Hischier for me is the injury history. Other than that, he would be #2.

I'm not really seeing what others are about Vilardi. His skating is an issue for me and it seems he's being inflated by his team, namely Brown.

I dont expect them to win the draft lottery, its the Canucks afterall and not only that Vegas is in this lottery too.  

That said, who is the best C besides Patrick?  This organization needs an elite C.  The rankings have Gabe Vilardi at #3.  I dont know anything about him other than the stats.  Anyone seen him play?  Could he be > Horvat?

40 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I dont expect them to win the draft lottery, its the Canucks afterall and not only that Vegas is in this lottery too.  

That said, who is the best C besides Patrick?  This organization needs an elite C.  The rankings have Gabe Vilardi at #3.  I dont know anything about him other than the stats.  Anyone seen him play?  Could he be > Horvat?

Hischier is the second best C prospect IMO.

Yeah im just kidding about the bet. They have 3rd highest odds which is where we were last year and ended up 5th. 

I guess technically the percentages will be skewed compared to last years as it is now divided by 15 teams rather than 14. I guess this means more chances of teams moving up on the lottery.

• Upvote 1

I do not see us winning the lottery and we will probably end up picking anywhere from 5-10. I am ok with that because I do not think there are any sure fire Elite/Franchise players in this draft with the exception of Timothy Liljegren. With that in mind, there are a lot of different type of players we can go after, as I am not sure that the range that we are drafting in is set in stone. 

But for me, Lias Andersson is the guy we should be targeting. He plays a game very comparable to Henrik Zetterberg imo, with more edge in his game. He is a very good 2-way player, a good skater, has good vision, and perhaps one of the best shots in the draft(good release, very deceptive). Having watched him in the 4 Nations U20 tournament, as well as in several SHL games, I think this kid is the real deal. 

To be honest, I am at the point where I like this kid so much that I would take him as high as second overall (assuming Liljregen goes 1)

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

wtf, Vegas should be given the 31st pick, this year, they play their 1st season, then after the completion of their season,  is the pick they should be given, not just handed them a bottom 3 pick.

I guess when you pay $500+ mill to join a league you get some benefits :lol:

side question.... Anyone know what Canucks had to pay in 1970? 

3 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

FYI Jack Adams is 6'5, plays RW, and has 26 points in 19 games. He's in his draft +1 year, so perhaps a late round pick?

Well even if it doesn't translate in the NHL, I hope he has an excellent coaching career for the name alone.

• Upvote 2

Edit**  Posted in another thread, think it is viable here as well

Everything I've seen of Patrick shows him to be a shoot first player.  His passes are not playmaking material it is getting the puck off of his stick.  he is a large body and drives the net down the gut or ala Raymond from the wings.  We had Kesler for a decade.  If you didn't watch the way he plays that isn't my fault.  There are very strong similiarities there. He is currently where he is due to the lack of what is perceived high end talent in this draft.  Being a center doesn't hurt either.  

Liljegren is not #1 for the same reasons Patrick is.  D is not sexy, forwards are.  Forwards are almost universally taken before D.  See the last decade of drafting anyone not named Ekblad (who was taken by Tallon because Tallon knows what a need is not a want like Edmonton) the very fact Patrick hasn't slid is very very questionable given his injury now and over the last 4 years.  Every season he has long term injuries and while he may be young that raises serious questions about his viability or the potential for future complications as he ages.  Drafting the future sami salo at center 1st overall is not a sexy idea knowing he's going to miss 25-40 games a season

LIljegren is out with mono I believe and would never be taken first and could very well Seth Jones his way out of the top 3 due to his position and illness.  Hischier is climbing and could very easily supplant Patrick (rightfully should) based on his amazing play and his ability to go from draft to AHL.  Strong WJC showings by Vilardi, Middlestadt, Hischier should be mroe than enough to bump Patrick out of 1st overall.  But then there's bias.  The fact so many people ignore the failings of Patrick who doesn't have dynamic speed, skating or passing ability and still want to jump on him at #1 isn't cause for concern.  Unless their name is Benning and they are holding the 1st overall pick.  But even then I would expect Benning to take Liljegren/Hischier or trade down and enjoy a massive return.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 3