The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Well Jimbo, hitch these two stations up to the Canuck’s cart, and get ‘em signed.  Quinnup here and Will in Utica.  If JB doesn’t get both boys signed andplaying within a week, I’d consider that a fail.  

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well Jimbo, hitch these two stations up to the Canuck’s cart, and get ‘em signed.  Quinnup here and Will in Utica.  If JB doesn’t get both boys signed andplaying within a week, I’d consider that a fail.  

Will might be a tough sign this summer. I’m pretty sure he’s been offered the C next year. If they don’t sign him this summer I still think Lockwood would sign with us next summer. I hope it’s this summer but I have a feeling this captaincy could lure him back to college.

5 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

I kind of hope Lockwood signs an ATO and plays the year out in Utica. But I could also see him getting a chance to play a couple games in Vancouver.

I’m not sure how much leverage Lockwood has but Griffin Molino got to play some NHL games right out of college. 

I think Molino was used more because of a lack of depth at the time and a rash of injuries. Combine that with not wanting to upset the playoff push by Utica. 

42 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I think Molino was used more because of a lack of depth at the time and a rash of injuries. Combine that with not wanting to upset the playoff push by Utica. 

I think to some extent, but I also think it was part of the deal he negotiated because we signed him as NCAA UFA, if it wasn’t us it would’ve been some other team offering him the opportunity.

It will be interesting to see what happens. We have so many “meh” middle six forwards right now that need to show something, that I just don’t know if we have room to put him in the lineup. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

I think to some extent, but I also think it was part of the deal he negotiated because we signed him as NCAA UFA, if it wasn’t us it would’ve been some other team offering him the opportunity.

It will be interesting to see what happens. We have so many “meh” middle six forwards right now that need to show something, that I just don’t know if we have room to put him in the lineup. 

At the same time.  A bunch of 'meh' middle six forwards is an improvement on where we were.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

is there any insight on Lockwood to if he wants to sign pro this year? I say sign our guys sooner rather than later, worst case they can marinate and hone their game in Utica

Wouldn't hurt to play another year in the NCAA, we shall see though.

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

Wouldn't hurt to play another year in the NCAA, we shall see though.

If he play another year in the NCAA he could bail on us because he will become a UFA on Aug. 15th, 2020. Not saying he would, but you don't want to risk losing a prospect for nothing. If he feels like he is ready, we could bring him in this year as well. Regardless, I feel like it's best for him to play in the AHL next season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

If he play another year in the NCAA he could bail on us because he will become a UFA on Aug. 15th, 2020. Not saying he would, but you don't want to risk losing a prospect for nothing. If he feels like he is ready, we could bring him in this year as well. Regardless, I feel like it's best for him to play in the AHL next season.

its not really up to the Canucks, I'm sure they would sign him now. Its got to be a tough decision for a kid like this, one more year, get a degree, then you're basically a free agent. But would he get a better opportunity on a different team? Probably not. I'm sure its not easy for him. 

6 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

is there any insight on Lockwood to if he wants to sign pro this year? I say sign our guys sooner rather than later, worst case they can marinate and hone their game in Utica

I was saying a couple pages back but I think he’ll be a tough sign this summer. I know Michigan offered him the captaincy for next season. That and he would be finishing his degree might be hard to walk away from just for playing in the AHL. It would be his fourth year so you really don’t want him to go back to school and risk him being tempted by other teams next summer.

On 3/9/2019 at 4:15 PM, Alflives said:

Lockwood's in a very different situation to Hughes tho Alf. It can make sense for Will to go back for another year, but for Hughes its clear he's ready, and there's gaping holes for him to fill. 

Even as a UM student, I don't know much more than the average Canucks super fan about these guys' plans.

However, without giving away details, I know that Lockwood isn't as committed to the Canucks as most prospects would be for fair reasons. I still think he's gonna sign eventually, perhaps even in the coming days, but it might take some work since this is known a little bit around UM fans.

I know I'm being vague, but there's not much more to it other than that. I just think it'd be like breaking an honor code if I were to say more.

But yeah, don't take my word as fact, it's really just speculation more than anything.

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Lockwood's in a very different situation to Hughes tho Alf. It can make sense for Will to go back for another year, but for Hughes its clear he's ready, and there's gaping holes for him to fill. 

True, but Lockwood could play in Utica and get into his elc one year sooner, no?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True, but Lockwood could play in Utica and get into his elc one year sooner, no?

Signing a PTO contract with Utica will not burn a year of his ELC. Signing with the Canucks would mean that he is ineligible to play for Utica in the playoffs this year. Tough decisions for everyone on this one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Signing a PTO contract with Utica will not burn a year of his ELC. Signing with the Canucks would mean that he is ineligible to play for Utica in the playoffs this year. Tough decisions for everyone on this one.

it is. But, since he's already 20 he'd burn a year off his ELC if he plays just 1 game, correct? that could be the deciding factor if Jim's willing to let him suit up for a game. 

Signing him now so he can play for Utica to finish out their season and playoffs would make him draft expansion eligible. If he thrives right outta the gate might make it another guy you have to protect. You never know. Signing him in the summer or a PTO then sign him in the summer might be the best route.