The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Anyone know what his plans are after this season? 

Seems like a possibility he could sign with the Canucks 

hes finally healthy and playing lights out 

and at that age where players usually make the jump 

I’d like him to sign with the Comets for a playoff run.  Then sign with the Canucks, and try o make the big club next fall.  

• Upvote 1

Have not seen too much of Lockwood this season. Hi-lite stuff only. The question at the start his season was, could he cut back on his kamikaze defensive style and stay healthy ? He's done well, health wise. Has he, in fact, toned things down in that area ? Has it affected his overall game or is he still flying around hitting everything in sight ?

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

There's no guarantee he would get much ice time with the Comets this year. Cull is pretty strict with the young guys.

But a pro cheque though.

You want to offer him something and his play doesn't warrant burning a year off his ELC. I imagine he'll get an ELC and then be sent to Utica, but wont play unless injuries decimate the team.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Echo Park said:

What kind of player do you think that Lockwood projects to in the NHL if/when he gets there? Does anyone have a comparable in mind? 

Lockwood is a play driver, a checker and a guy who is totally involved, he is not a perimeter player or a guy that loses confidence easy....

So maybe a faster more talented Burrows or a slightly less fiesty but more talented Rousell...to use Canuck players as comparison's...I am sure there are better ones to be made.... 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Comparable? Probably a guy like Tyler Motte 

I'm a little skeptical he gets offered a contract.  This is his third season of college hockey, comparing his numbers to Motte's third season.  Motte had 56 points in 38 games, Lockwood isn't even getting a ppg right now.  Maybe he has a chance to be a decent AHLer?

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

I'm a little skeptical he gets offered a contract.  This is his third season of college hockey, comparing his numbers to Motte's third season.  Motte had 56 points in 38 games, Lockwood isn't even getting a ppg right now.  Maybe he has a chance to be a decent AHLer?

Tyler Motte played on a fairly stacked team though didn't he? Other than QH and Josh Norris, who's missed basically half the season, there aren't very many high pedigree guys on Michigan this year. 

As for the comparison part, I see a lot of the good qualities Matt Cooke had in his early days as a Canuck. The fiesty attitude, with good two way play. 

Edited by WonderTwinPowers
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Tyler Motte played on a fairly stacked team though didn't he? Other than QH and Josh Norris, who's missed basically half the season, there aren't very many high pedigree guys on Michigan this year. 

As for the comparison part, I see a lot of the good qualities Matt Cooke had in his early days as a Canuck. The fiesty attitude, with good two way play. 

Motte was on a team with Kyle Connor who scored 31 goals as an NHL rookie and had probably the best NCAA rookie year in recent history. JT Compher is also a good NHL second line player now. Lockwood has nobody to play with. 

Zach Hyman had only 17 points in 35 games in his 3rd college season. 

Lockwood will get a contract but he probably isn't a top 6 player. 20-30 point energy guy. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Dungass said:

Canucks would be foolish to not offer him a contract. Question is whether they do so this year or next (hopefully he doesn't take himself to free agency). He's got tonnes of speed to burn, but just needs to stay healthy. I project him to be more of a 3rd/4th liner and maybe Hansen as a comparable. His offense is a bonus, but I think he will be a very effective PKer and checker.

18 hours ago, Dungass said:

Lockwood missed half a year due to that shoulder injury as well...

His chemistry with Hughes can't be overlooked either...I think he will be a solid middle 6 guy with upside.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 10:20 AM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Lockwood is a play driver, a checker and a guy who is totally involved, he is not a perimeter player or a guy that loses confidence easy....

So maybe a faster more talented Burrows or a slightly less fiesty but more talented Rousell...to use Canuck players as comparison's...I am sure there are better ones to be made.... 

Clutterbuck maybe?

• Cheers 1