The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Loui Eriksson [6 year x $6M AAV]

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Tampa? You've heard of Stamkos and Hedman, right?

I have, they had a couple of top 5 picks and hit on other lower picks, as a result, they didn't basement dwell for an extended period of time. We've already got Juolevi with the top 5. Sure, 1 more would help, but it's not impossible without it.

From what I've seen, there's no set formula for building a contender.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I want to be excited, I'm happy for the Sedins, but man, I just want to stop signing players with no push back. 

Anyway, he's a Canuck now so I'm right behind him. 

Go Loui!!!

This was a great signing, no doubt. But if this were to be the only signing, it would be semi bad since we really need offense for the other lines too. The Sedins can get it done as we all know, but the issue we have is not fixed by any means. Couldn't be happier about today, but we need more. Not just to satisfy my need for signings.

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

The Detroit model was drafting the best defenseman of all time and riding him till he retired.  Most of that happened before the current cap era when 2/3 of the league had no chance. 

The Edmonton model is also the Hawks model (3 cups). It's also the Kings model (2 cups).  It's also the Penguins model (2 cups). 

Vancouver is using the old Toronto model.  Try to push a below average team into the playoffs though old free agents (Vrbata, Miller, Erikson).

Lol so we suck for years just so those players we draft can MAYBE be as good as Loui one day?

Or

Be a competive team and just sign players like Loui to compliment our prospects.  

13 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I have, they had a couple of top 5 picks and hit on other lower picks, as a result, they didn't basement dwell for an extended period of time. We've already got Juolevi with the top 5. Sure, 1 more would help, but it's not impossible without it.

From what I've seen, there's no set formula for building a contender.

I agree. Which is why my original post on this subject took issue with building through the draft being referred to as "the Edmonton model".

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree. Which is why my original post on this subject to issue with building through the draft being referred to as "the Edmonton model".

Then I misunderstood. I thought you were advocating tanking and stockpiling top 5 picks for several years as the only viable option.

Sorry for the confusion.

2 minutes ago, <DarkGhost> said:

Lol so we suck for years just so those players we draft can MAYBE be as good as Loui one day?

Or

Be a competive team and just sign players like Loui to compliment our prospects.  

Yup.  Exactly.  Crosby, Kane, Toews, Doughty, Malkin.   One day they'll MAYBE as good as Erikson.

He's going to lead us to multiple cups.  :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

Then I misunderstood. I thought you were advocating tanking and stockpiling top 5 picks for several years as the only viable option.

Sorry for the confusion.

No worries. I've always maintained that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

FTR: I wanted to go for draft picks the last two seasons, because I believed there was a real possibility of getting a McDavid/Eichel/Matthews/Laine. The timing would have been right, IMHO and signing Miller and Vrbata in an effort just to make the playoffs was a mistake.

That ship has now sailed, but I stand by that sentiment. We'd be further down the road to building a contender if we hadn't made those two deals.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 2

I'm going to go on record as not being a fan of this signing.

I'm sure the Sedins and the coach are extremely happy to have another solid forward that can play well and understand systems in all zones.

So I'm probably wrong. But still not a fan.

• Upvote 1

What are realistic expectations this year now that we've got Loui with the Sedins? 

I'd say 70pts for Loui is not out of the reach. Considering he got 63 without playing with prized playmakers like the twins.

30g, 40a would be nice. 

Really happy with Eriksson signing here. He'll mesh perfectly with the Sedins. I also expect the Sedins' point totals to go up next year. Eriksson plays with a bit of grit, in that he's not afraid to go to the front of the net and the tough areas. He'll also help in shootouts and the PP. Still hoping Benning can sign Matt Martin.

• Upvote 1

We are all assuming Loui is with the twins (even me) but would that work in the NHL. 

The Twins need a live wire fore checker and back checker to take the strain off the twins and I don't see that being Loui's style. I don't say we won't try him there but I think Hansen will eventually displace him.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Really happy with Eriksson signing here. He'll mesh perfectly with the Sedins. I also expect the Sedins' point totals to go up next year. Eriksson plays with a bit of grit, in that he's not afraid to go to the front of the net and the tough areas. He'll also help in shootouts and the PP. Still hoping Benning can sign Matt Martin.

Agreed, the best player the Canucks have ever put with the Sedins. 

Loui Eriksson was traded for Seguin just a couple years ago.

We don't have a Seguin to trade, but now we have Loui...

Funny that people are looking at this with the hindsight of the Vrbata deal. 
Wow with Vrby we signed an aging skilled forward with the promise of playing with the twins, he scored 30 goals, then we took him off that line and he fizzled! I can't believe we did that, why'd we even bother?! What an idiot Benning.

Eriksson is not Vrbata. Even in their freakin' primes Eriksson is the better player. He'll be better WITH the twins and better WITHOUT them.

I seem to recall our fanbase really enjoying Vrbata when he was playing well with the Twins. We were like "ohh yeah! That's why we sign skilled players to play with our Twins!". Though I don't like the term, Eriksson will look great in our lineup. Certainly won't be the difference between us being bottomfeeders and contending for the cup, but he buys us another couple years of mentorship/wisdom even AFTER the Sedins are gone.

I think Loui Eriksson at the end of his contract will be far closer to the player he is today than Lucic will.

• Upvote 1