The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Truth is somewhere in the middle.

Like I said, I think the 'only 3 hits?!? :frantic:' narrative is massively overplayed. Particularly as that's never been his play style. 

But you can also tell he looks (understandably) unhappy, defeated, lacking confidence etc and it's affecting his play. He doesn't look like 'classic' LE, giving 110%. He's playing like defeated LE and it shows. Let's not gloss that over as it's just as bad as the folks who are broken records about the 3 hits.

He's got a massive uphill battle to fight through both that ^^^, and the depth we've added pushing him closer to the edge of the roster. We're highly unlikely to waive a younger, cheaper, more valuable player to keep him and that doesn't even include a guy like Goldobin, Gaudette, MacEwan, Bailey etc pushing for a spot either. He's FAR from anything resembling a secured roster spot and there's pretty clear reasons for that.

yeah its hard to argue with any of that :sadno:

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And that's not to say he can't still be an NHL player (can't stand that narrative either), he just might not be able to be one HERE.

I think you'd see a different player on a top 9 role with Dallas. Problem is the cost to get him there. I guess we'll find out in 9 days or so if Loui's at camp. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you'd see a different player on a top 9 role with Dallas. Problem is the cost to get him there. I guess we'll find out in 9 days or so if Loui's at camp. 

A cost I don't think the Canucks are in any hurry to pay. If he wasn't turning down trades to places like OTT...then maybe that situation could be different. I think he's overplayed his hand there.

I think he'll be at camp but the chances of him nailing a top 13 spot are SLIM IMO, barring injuries. At best, he's likely 13th F until Roussel's back. Whether after camp or when Roussel's back...he's highly likely Utica bound IMO.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

While I agree the 'lacks effort' argument is quite overplayed by some, even ex-NHL'ers were commenting on him 'floating around' out there FWIW. It's not just a bitter fan theory.

Personally I think that's more of a confidence issue than 'try' issue though (as much as we may dislike what he's shown in Vancouver, I can guarantee he's even less happy about how he's played here).

IMO, his confidence, lack of production, age related decline, poor fit etc are the reasons he looks somewhat listless out there. He's going to have to fight through that or...

Just curious, which ex-NHLer's were commenting on it? These ex-NHLer's could be the work hard types that also do not understand (or aren't able to process the game in the same way) that being positionally sound (being able to read plays rather than react to it) can accomplish the same job and can deem him as "floating". It's like people are annoyed because they think that Goldobin doesn't have the passion for the game because he's isn't overly pissed off when making mistakes or what not, yet he's talking to his coach every week about how to improve his game.

Green is mocked for saying that LE is doing the "little things" that work, but it's exactly that in that he knows how to read the game which is what makes him effective in a role defensively. LE wants to produce more offense and he's paid to do so, so it's understandable that he would like to be given more of an opportunity to do so (yes he has to earn it). He's shown short stints where he does click on an offensive line, but because he can play the defensive game and others are learning, he gets bumped back to the defensive line more often than he would like I imagine.

There's definitely decline and most likely a confidence issue here and I agree that he needs to battle through it to win a spot, but I just think there are many here trying way too hard to justify that he doesn't have any worth to the team. Even if he's in Utica, we are still paying him, so we should hope that he can be productive enough to earn a spot and hopefully give himself enough value to be traded or help this team out. That's all we (as Canucks fans) should hope for in this situation at this point rather than run him down unnecessarily.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Just curious, which ex-NHLer's were commenting on it? These ex-NHLer's could be the work hard types that also do not understand (or aren't able to process the game in the same way) that being positionally sound (being able to read plays rather than react to it) can accomplish the same job and can deem him as "floating". It's like people are annoyed because they think that Goldobin doesn't have the passion for the game because he's isn't overly pissed off when making mistakes or what not, yet he's talking to his coach every week about how to improve his game.

Green is mocked for saying that LE is doing the "little things" that work, but it's exactly that in that he knows how to read the game which is what makes him effective in a role defensively. LE wants to produce more offense and he's paid to do so, so it's understandable that he would like to be given more of an opportunity to do so (yes he has to earn it). He's shown short stints where he does click on an offensive line, but because he can play the defensive game and others are learning, he gets bumped back to the defensive line more often than he would like I imagine.

There's definitely decline and most likely a confidence issue here and I agree that he needs to battle through it to win a spot, but I just think there are many here trying way too hard to justify that he doesn't have any worth to the team. Even if he's in Utica, we are still paying him, so we should hope that he can be productive enough to earn a spot and hopefully give himself enough value to be traded or help this team out. That's all we (as Canucks fans) should hope for in this situation at this point rather than run him down unnecessarily.

IIRC a few of them were Ferraro, McLennan and O'Neill...I think there was a couple other guys too but here's probably the most vitriolic (if largely true) instance:

I agree some people are going too far to try to justify the '3 hits?!!' and 'not an NHL'er' narratives. The sad part is...they don't really need to go that far to reach largely the same (albeit less dramatic) conclusion.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

IIRC a few of them were Ferraro, McLennan and O'Neill...I think there was a couple other guys too but here's probably the most vitriolic (if largely true) instance:

I agree some people are going too far to try to justify the '3 hits?!!' and 'not an NHL'er' narratives. The sad part is...they don't really need to go that far to reach largely the same (albeit less dramatic) conclusion.

Ah a bunch of TSN hires commenting on the Canucks. Wonder how their commentary would change if a Toronto player was in the same situation.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Ah a bunch of TSN hires commenting on the Canucks. Wonder how their commentary would change if a Toronto player was in the same situation.

Baby. Bath water.

They're not wrong.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Let's not gloss that over as it's just as bad as the folks who are broken records about the 3 hits.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Baby. Bath water.

They're not wrong.

Didn't say they were "wrong", but I'm sure the emphasis would've differed otherwise. If the motive is to run down a player (or in this case, create unnecessary drama), then you exaggerate like saying he "floats" or whatever.

Bottom line is he's overpaid for someone expected to produce offense. He's effective defensively and a "floater" would not be. His confidence is low or simply he's declining, but to suggest he isn't trying isn't fair. They seem to ignore the fact that Green puts LE on the ice for key defensive situations and assignments and are making the comments like he can't play at all. Much like the drivel that gets posted here. Just because they're "ex-NHLers' doesn't make it all that much more credible in this case IMO.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

A cost I don't think the Canucks are in any hurry to pay. If he wasn't turning down trades to places like OTT...then maybe that situation could be different. I think he's overplayed his hand there.

I think he'll be at camp but the chances of him nailing a top 13 spot are SLIM IMO, barring injuries. At best, he's likely 13th F until Roussel's back. Whether after camp or when Roussel's back...he's highly likely Utica bound IMO.

did he turn down Ottawa? I only heard about Edmonton (can't really blame him on that one :lol:). Ottawa is a really nice city tho. 

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Baby. Bath water.

They're not wrong.

I like people that are real / honest and everything they said is true! While I haven’t been one to dump on Eriksson, I agree with them and I’d rather he wasn’t on the team. 1) because he’d be of no use and someone else more useful could take that spot. 2) because there’s no need to have his attitude / example on the team. I hope they end up sending him to Utica. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

did he turn down Ottawa? I only heard about Edmonton (can't really blame him on that one :lol:). Ottawa is a really nice city tho. 

'Rumours'

Nobody's going to substantiate anything but it's rumoured he turned down EDM as well as possibly OTT and was trying to force a deal to DAL that we quite understandably aren't willing to pay the price DAL demanded on.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

'Rumours'

Nobody's going to substantiate anything but it's rumoured he turned down EDM as well as possibly OTT and was trying to force a deal to DAL that we quite understandably aren't willing to pay the price DAL demanded on.

Oy.

Well apparently he was skating with the guys today. Maybe thats a good sign, I'm sure he wants to settle things with Green asap and who knows, maybe he's REALLY motivated now. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Oy.

Well apparently he was skating with the guys today. Maybe thats a good sign, I'm sure he wants to settle things with Green asap and who knows, maybe he's REALLY motivated now. 

The prevailing view here is that he has played his last regular season game with the Canucks. 

And it isn't about the money.  It's about the fact that he seems not to be good enough anymore to play in the top 6.  And the bottom 6 or 7 forwards all have greater upside or are simply better at that role.  My guess is that he plays some pre-season games but gets sent to Utica.  Motivation isn't going to matter, presumably.

Top 6:  Pearson, Horvat, Ferland, Baertschi, Pettersson, Boeser.  (I can't see him replacing any of these guys, not even  close.)

Bottom 6: Miller (more likely a top 6 guy, especially if Baertschi is too fragile), Sutter, Virtanen, Beagle, Roussel, Leivo.

13th forward: Motte.

Remaining special players with upside: Goldobin, and Gaudette.  That makes 15.  Actually 2 too many players I believe.

I don't see Eriksson placing above Motte, or Gaudette or even Goldobin.  So, Utica for him, as would be the case for Schaller I think.  As was the case with Gagner and Higgins previously. We aren't short top 6 guys anymore, that makes all the difference for him, pushes him down and out of the lineup.  Pearson came late in the season, and Ferland and Miller came in the summer: that's 3 starting players, possibly all of them top 6, certainly top 9. 

It has been hard for most fans -- myself included -- to fully appreciate how much this team has changed in a couple of months. Eriksson is going to experience what Hutton did, but unlike the situation of Hutton, it will be fully deserved and will receive very little sympathy or fanfare.  I'd rather have Hutton by far than LE.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, gameburn said:

The prevailing view here is that he has played his last regular season game with the Canucks. 

And it isn't about the money.  It's about the fact that he seems not to be good enough anymore to play in the top 6.  And the bottom 6 or 7 forwards all have greater upside or are simply better at that role.  My guess is that he plays some pre-season games but gets sent to Utica.  Motivation isn't going to matter, presumably.

Top 6:  Pearson, Horvat, Ferland, Baertschi, Pettersson, Boeser.  (I can't see him replacing any of these guys, not even  close.)

Bottom 6: Miller (more likely a top 6 guy, especially if Baertschi is too fragile), Sutter, Virtanen, Beagle, Roussel, Leivo.

13th forward: Motte.

Remaining special players with upside: Goldobin, and Gaudette.  That makes 15.  Actually 2 too many players I believe.

I don't see Eriksson placing above Motte, or Gaudette or even Goldobin.  So, Utica for him, as would be the case for Schaller I think.  As was the case with Gagner and Higgins previously. We aren't short top 6 guys anymore, that makes all the difference for him, pushes him down and out of the lineup.  Pearson came late in the season, and Ferland and Miller came in the summer: that's 3 starting players, possibly all of them top 6, certainly top 9. 

It has been hard for most fans -- myself included -- to fully appreciate how much this team has changed in a couple of months. Eriksson is going to experience what Hutton did, but unlike the situation of Hutton, it will be fully deserved and will receive very little sympathy or fanfare.  I'd rather have Hutton by far than LE.

in a vacuum I think Loui still has more utility and bigger skill set than Motte and even Leivo, but with the new-look top 6 and need for space for Baer, Sutter, Jake, Beagle, Roussel and Goldy,  Loui's the odd guy out. There's no use putting him in as the 13th F either. 

I think Loui's decline has been overblown and given too much personal blame. I do think the guy is trying. But as you point out, the fit is hard to see. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

in a vacuum I think Loui still has more utility and bigger skill set than Motte and even Leivo, but with the new-look top 6 and need for space for Baer, Sutter, Jake, Beagle, Roussel and Goldy,  Loui's the odd guy out. There's no use putting him in as the 13th F either. 

I think Loui's decline has been overblown and given too much personal blame. I do think the guy is trying. But as you point out, the fit is hard to see. 

As a man who is older now, I have come to feel some sympathy for him.  It was tough watching Higgins go through this a few years back. If there was no salary cap, I wonder if Loui wouldn't simply move on to another team.  Such high expectations, such a wad of cash... if everyone were paid a flat 3 million a year, and then productivity bonuses (according to a formula) were added on to players from there...  I suspect that his experience and pk work (at 3.9 million a year) would not have made him a target.  

My outsider's opinion on the CBA is that they need this kind of system: a flat rate for half of the available money, then additions to players according to measurable utility/productivity as well as ranking on the team.  Hard to come up with that second set of numbers, I know, but something has got to change.  The RFA problem is only half of what's wrong, imo, and that is bad enough (wait til we see Boeser miss 30 games and play rusty for two thirds of the year.) 

• Upvote 1