The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

Re-reading what Green said about Loui doesn't reveal much.  I think that people have tried to project their wishes into what he said.

• No surprise that Loui isn't in 100% agreement with his coach and how he has been deployed. 
  • Loui hasn't been performing up to his own expectations and this has been discussed [presumably in exit interviews]. 
  • Players have to earn their ice time regardless of salary and
  • Since they have added some good players, they will have tough decisions to make.

There's nothing new here.  Didn't Green say exactly the same thing last summer?  He isn't throwing anybody under the bus or saying that Loui will be placed on waivers.  It's not really his call anyways.  It's up to Benning and decisions like this will be made at camp.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Re-reading what Green said about Loui doesn't reveal much.  I think that people have tried to project their wishes into what he said.

• No surprise that Loui isn't in 100% agreement with his coach and how he has been deployed. 
  • Loui hasn't been performing up to his own expectations and this has been discussed [presumably in exit interviews]. 
  • Players have to earn their ice time regardless of salary and
  • Since they have added some good players, they will have tough decisions to make.

There's nothing new here.  Didn't Green say exactly the same thing last summer?  He isn't throwing anybody under the bus or saying that Loui will be placed on waivers.  It's not really his call anyways.  It's up to Benning and decisions like this will be made at camp.

With Loui’s complaining about his usage under Green going on this last season, I think JB (and Loui’s agent) has been trying trade Loui for a full year.  This summer that’s now public.  I think Loui is learning, through this process where no team wants him, he’s no longer an NHL player.  As this reality further sets into Loui, he will move toward retirement.  He may or may not show up to camp.  However, he will retire before being put on waivers.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With Loui’s complaining about his usage under Green going on this last season, I think JB (and Loui’s agent) has been trying trade Loui for a full year.  This summer that’s now public.  I think Loui is learning, through this process where no team wants him, he’s no longer an NHL player.  As this reality further sets into Loui, he will move toward retirement.  He may or may not show up to camp.  However, he will retire before being put on waivers.  

I fully expect Loui to be at camp and play his hardest but will be one of the final cuts which will lead to a domino effect of decisions made by management and Loui's family. 

1. Does he report to Utica?
2. Does he get loaned to an AHL affiliate closer to Dallas?

3. Does he go to Europe if he has a clause in his contract?
4. Does he retire?
5. Does he not show up to AHL allowing for the termination due to breach of his contract?
6. Does he make the team as a 13th forward?

7. Does a strong preseason performance lead to a trade?
There are many avenues Loui and MGMT can take if it is decided he will not be playing for us next season.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Loui is learning, through this process where no team wants him, he’s no longer an NHL player.  

I do not agree with this part  Alf.

I believe he could still play in the NHL but not as a top 6 forward and definitely not at 6 mil per year. His current salary and cap hit are what is preventing JB from being able to easily move his contract and not because he is unable to play in the NHL anymore. JB made a big mistake in signing him to that salary and term but I do not hold that against JB as many GM's got taken to the cleaners in the 2016 UFA frenzy; Lucic and Brower just to name a couple of others that were vastly overpaid

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui still puts up 10 goals every year.  This is his record as a Canuck:

11-13-24

10-13-23

11-18-29

And ya, you might think that he'd be attractive after his bonus was paid on July 15 as a player with half the salary as cap hit but there are no takers.  Still, what if Benning is putting him out there at 50% retained?  $1.5M average for a 10 goal forward who is good on the PK.  All teams pass.

I expect him to go on waivers and it looks like nobody will touch him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Loui still puts up 10 goals every year.  This is his record as a Canuck:

11-13-24

10-13-23

11-18-29

And ya, you might think that he'd be attractive after his bonus was paid on July 15 as a player with half the salary as cap hit but there are no takers.  Still, what if Benning is putting him out there at 50% retained?  $1.5M average for a 10 goal forward who is good on the PK.  All teams pass.

I expect him to go on waivers and it looks like nobody will touch him.

I do think there are teams where he could score more than that, but it sure seems like this is just going to end up a deal we eat. I can see Jim loaning Loui to the Stars AHL team similar to what he did for Gag's. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do think there are teams where he could score more than that, but it sure seems like this is just going to end up a deal we eat. I can see Jim loaning Loui to the Stars AHL team similar to what he did for Gag's. 

I think you raise a good point about the offer to loan Loui to the Dallas AHL team.  Now, would Loui accept any demotion?  Is he going to play in the AHL?  

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think you raise a good point about the offer to loan Loui to the Dallas AHL team.  Now, would Loui accept any demotion?  Is he going to play in the AHL?  

he probably would report there since its close to his family and at least play out this year. Benning seems like a guy that will treat people as well as possible so I expect that to be the situation. 

Plus it might be a real motivator for him to play well. If he goes down there and rips up the AHL and looks like he's a player again he just might be movable. He's 1.025 mil more tradable being in the AHL too, so teams can pick him up as an AHL player to begin with and move him up closer to the end of the year once they've accumulated some cap space and/or injuries. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I wanted to give Loui the benefit of the doubt the past 3 years because he seems like a good teammate and hasn't complained.  But this summer he has the nerve to question the coach.  He has not played hard enough, not scored enough and nowhere near earned his money.  As I understand it he already has $27mil of the $36 he is owed.  This means he has made 9 per season.  A real man would mutually terminate his contract and move on.  He can play somewhere else for 1.5-2.5 mil and not bring down the Canucks anymore than he already has.  I am now on the F@ck Loui wagon.  He should stand up and do the right thing for his team and himself and move on.  He is dead to me!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

This echoes my sentiments about Loui: https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/loui-eriksson-s-agent-claims-his-client-s-comments-have-been-blown-out-of-proportion-1.23906685?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Now Eriksson’s agent, Peter Werner, suggests that Eriksson’s comments have been blown completely out of proportion. In an interview with HockeySverige, Werner went to bat for his client, claiming that the media in Vancouver have made a mountain out of a molehill.

“It feels like a very, very small story has got strange proportions in my world,” said Werner (with help from online translators and a Swedish-to-English dictionary). “From my side everything feels a little strange. I have known Loui since he was 14 years old and in my world he is the world's finest guy.”

Accusations from Canucks fans that Eriksson doesn’t give an honest effort seem to have particularly rankled Werner, as he was quick to emphasize that Eriksson, “works hard, trains hard, and he loves hockey, above all.”

Read the entire article via the link provided.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I can understand being disappointed in Loui, but I think the idea that he's not putting in a real effort is fiction. Its all getting way too toxic, I hope something resolves soon. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Yep, his agent definitely has no ulterior motive for lying and saying that his client isn't a lazy, entitled punk who has no place in the NHL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Sure he has his reasons, but the hate against Loui has gone far beyond reasonable. Like @Jimmy McGill says, it's reasonable to be disappointed, but the slander and libel that's gone on since his comment has been absolutely brutal and over the top. You'd think after what happened with Botchford, some people would remember the human side of the game again, but it seems some things never change.

tbh its like Loui's gone full Sean Avery or something the way people are talking. Yeah, Loui's a big disappointment offensively. But I think his agent is correct on effort - the proof being you can't be a good penalty killer with no effort. By all accounts Loui has been good at that. 

I dunno, it just seems to have taken on its own life now. I think all fan bases go through this kind of thing tho, I bet even Edmonton has people that put up McDavid trade proposals on HF Boards :lol:

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Sure he has his reasons, but the hate against Loui has gone far beyond reasonable. Like @Jimmy McGill says, it's reasonable to be disappointed, but the slander and libel that's gone on since his comment has been absolutely brutal and over the top. You'd think after what happened with Botchford, some people would remember the human side of the game again, but it seems some things never change.

Okay, Loui is trying his hardest.  Then he’s definitely done.  He’s slow, weak, and his hands are gone.  No team wants him, as evidenced by no trade happening.  Loui is learning the hardest lesson for a once top player; his career is over.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Okay, Loui is trying his hardest.  Then he’s definitely done.  He’s slow, weak, and his hands are gone.  No team wants him, as evidenced by no trade happening.  Loui is learning the hardest lesson for a once top player; his career is over.

Sadly I think he is. His reaction time around the net is gone, thats where he made his living. His skating is OK, his positioning is good, which is what makes him a very good PK player. Can still pass, which is why he did well with Bo and Pearson, which is probably why Loui still thinks he can be a top 6 guy.

We need to reset the discussion around Loui, its getting to nasty. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sadly I think he is. His reaction time around the net is gone, thats where he made his living. His skating is OK, his positioning is good, which is what makes him a very good PK player. Can still pass, which is why he did well with Bo and Pearson, which is probably why Loui still thinks he can be a top 6 guy.

We need to reset the discussion around Loui, its getting to nasty. 

One problem for Louie is that we have players that are much better in the top line spots that he desires.

But the real problem is Loui, and here is why:

2014-2015 GP 81  Hits 29 with Boston

2015-2016 GP 82  Hits 22 with Boston

2016-2017 GP 65  Hits 11

2017-2018 GP 50  Hits 7

2018-2019 GP 81  Hits 3

It's not about the hitting exactly, Loui was never much for contact, it is about his increasing general level of disengagement - and that is what fans see. He doesn't pry pucks loose, he lets others do it.  He doesn't go to scoring areas, he lets others do it. He avoids contact, he lets other, less entitled guys do it. Penalty killing is mostly about positioning, and Loui is a smart guy,; he knows where to be and when.  Penalty killing is not about running around the ice initiating contact for most players, it is about discipline - and PK is a very happy circumstance for Loui - he doesn't have to chase and he doesn't have to initiate contact - that has become his game.  The thing that falls out of that, is that he doesn't create loose pucks, he doesn't get to scoring areas, and he sure as heck doesn't earn his 6 mil per.  A simple glance at the stat line above shows that when Loui got his big contract, he mostly retired to non-contact, oldtimer's league hockey. Unfortunately for the Canucks, they play in a full contact league.

• Upvote 3