The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

On 1/14/2020 at 11:31 PM, -AJ- said:

I already mentioned your fallacious way of representing Loui's production. He hasn't been on the second line all year and don't pretend he has. I'm not going to sit here and argue that he's definitely the best option for our second line, because I'm not convinced of that. It's very possible that Leivo or Virtanen could be better--that said, I don't think there's a good case that he's a problem on that line either. I think a lot of people are blinded by the past and can't evaluate without Loui's bad play from other years obscuring their judgement of his current play.

Ok, I am still not a fan of Loui, and still don't think his production and the  'eye test' suggests he should be on the second line, but I have to concede that he is playing so much better and this is the best that Loui has played for some time.  He definitely has played better and helped this line, and is contributing to the team's success.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Stormriders said:

Ok, I am still not a fan of Loui, and still don't think his production and the  'eye test' suggests he should be on the second line, but I have to concede that he is playing so much better and this is the best that Loui has played for some time.  He definitely has played better and helped this line, and is contributing to the team's success.

I agree with you. If the goal is to ice a CUP competitive team in 3 years it does come down to hard choices. Ericksson was a easy target for some kind of axe simply because of the numbers. Benning has to skate a fine line of having enough vets to cushion and mentor the younger players. Those young players will be the core in 3 years. 

The Pearson-Horvat-Ericksson line are vets who are playing a major role in the 3 year transition. We know Ericksson, Roussel, Sutter, Beagle and Schaller won't be on that team. Baer and Goldy are already gone from last year. It is a timing process as youth will push harder for them to leave. 

On 1/17/2020 at 4:29 PM, J-P said:

The line of LE, Bo and Pearson is very heavy

Maybe so, but I don't think Loui does anything to make the line heavier. His only saving grace is the smarts to read the play and position himself well. 

I'm glad Loui is playing better and with more confidence and drive. But I don't think for a second he is the long term answer there.

As nice as it is to have our 6 million dollar player playing like a 3 million dollar player instead of a plug, I feel this should be an opportunity to try to raise his value to net zero in attempt to trade him to a rebuilding team with extra cap and the desire to get a prospect as a sweetener.

Lets not forget LE's very reasonable real cash cost after his bonus. If I was a GM in such a position, I see that as great value.

Edited by kloubek

29 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Maybe so, but I don't think Loui does anything to make the line heavier. His only saving grace is the smarts to read the play and position himself well. 

I'm glad Loui is playing better and with more confidence and drive. But I don't think for a second he is the long term answer there.

He’s heavy in the sense that it’s almost impossible to get the puck by him along the boards and he has a great hustle with stick work and positioning. Combine that with two equally tough players (and in Pearson’s case literally physically tough) and you have a heavy line to deal with. 

I’d say for the rest of the season I don’t mind LE as the long term solution. After that I agree he’s not, and the best thing for everyone would be if he retired after his bonus money is payed out during the summer. 

It does kind of seem to me that he is on that line solely to try to show he can still be a player and reduce what it may cost to dump his contract to some other team.  It is nice to have a little positive news, but nothing has really changed with his fit.

Having Boeser on the third line doesn’t make a lot of sense longer term, as much as you argue that Eriksson helps Horvat not have to be the defensive presence on that line.

Listening to Weisbrod on the radio today the first thing he talked about was the need to clear cap space.  I suspect we may see a move or two that sends out bad contracts at the cost of some futures.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:03 AM, Mackcanuck said:

Empty net goals = wins  :)

Very true.  Before the trio of Bo-Pearson-LE came along, it seemed that the other team could pull the goalie for 5min and we wouldn't score.  We hung on for dear life.  With empty net goals comes more guaranteed wins rather than potential for loser points in OT/shootout.

Honestly, LE has been playing very well.  Not a $6M man, but playing well enough that he's noticeable on the ice when something goes right.

An example was a few games ago where a Canuck flew up the boards and battled through a defender to assist on a goal.  I would have swore it was Bo or Miller, but lo and behold it was Loui!  He's got new life on this Bo-Pearson-LE line, and I say stick with what is working.  It brings depth to the lineup.

• Upvote 1

I find it interesting that if you critique Eriksson certain people label it "hate" What does hate have anything to do with it?  Look at the stats below - before and since he became a Canuck.  Benning paid Eriksson based on the pre-Canuck numbers in good faith.  Good for Loui bad for Benning.  Fair enough.  But to say people are hating on him or don't want to see him succeed because they haven't been impressed with his play or performance up until the last little stretch is not realistic.   

I hope he has a long and healthy life.  I have no ill feelings toward Loui as a person. I hope his family is blessed. I hope he pots 25-30 again - for the next 3 years please. Because that's what he has been paid to do.  This little stretch is nice and I hope it continues for 2 and a half more years.

These numbers aren't fabricated based on hate.  This is his performance and this is a professional sport paid based on merit.  The real issue is the cap crunch it has caused and will continue to unless it can be dealt with.  Hate has nothing to do with it.

image.thumb.png.ec7475e283fe7ace5b990beae0bbc734.png

image.thumb.png.5bef65e985eb5cfd36a1f8d8eab5f5e2.png

Edited by Borvat

On 1/19/2020 at 2:16 PM, joe-max said:

Not sure if it has been posted, this are Eriksson's stats before and after Dec 21:

Until Dec 21: 18 games, 1 goal, 0 assists, -3

Since Dec 21: 12 games, 4 goals, 3 assists, +7

Would be nice to see him keep it up.

hmmm, that's interesting.. 

if that was projected over a full season, he would be pushing 50pts.. that's still not worth 6 million, but likely 4..? and a responsible 2 way game as well.. 

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Listening to Weisbrod on the radio today the first thing he talked about was the need to clear cap space.  I suspect we may see a move or two that sends out bad contracts at the cost of some futures.

Probably not till the off-season. Don't see us making move while competing for the playoffs

I do see us trading Sutter and Baer in the off-season. Both will be easier with 1 year left. That's almost 8 million in cap right there.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably not till the off-season. Don't see us making move while competing for the playoffs

I do see us trading Sutter and Baer in the off-season. Both will be easier with 1 year left. That's almost 8 million in cap right there.

I don’t think that Sutter, Eriksson, or Baertschi make a big impact on our playoff run or chances of success.

The reason it has to happen now, is that as it stands we are going to have to push about $3.7 of Petterson and Hughes ELC bonuses into next year, effectively dropping our cap for next year by that much.  If we ditched Eriksson now, we could pay most of this bonuses this year and not handcuff ourselves next year.  Next year we also have to stay under the cap by the amount of the potential/likely ELC bonuses.... because we can’t afford to push those bonuses into the 2021-22 season when we are paying Petterson and Hughes on their next contracts.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t think that Sutter, Eriksson, or Baertschi make a big impact on our playoff run or chances of success.

The reason it has to happen now, is that as it stands we are going to have to push about $3.7 of Petterson and Hughes ELC bonuses into next year, effectively dropping our cap for next year by that much.  If we ditched Eriksson now, we could pay most of this bonuses this year and not handcuff ourselves next year.  Next year we also have to stay under the cap by the amount of the potential/likely ELC bonuses.... because we can’t afford to push those bonuses into the 2021-22 season when we are paying Petterson and Hughes on their next contracts.

Chance we don't find a suitor for Baer. Hope I am wrong. Moving Eriksson is gonna require a lot of luck between now and the deadline. I find it highly unlikely we find someone willing to take his contract atm.

I doubt we move Sutter this year. Sutter does have his uses here for a playoff push despite what people think. Would be very surprised if anyone wanted him after 2 injuries during the season. Needs to end the season healthy. If he does I can see teams being interested in Sutter for a year. Off-season deal makes the most sense.

Other moves can be made before the deadline. Like getting rid of Schaller who has no place now because of Sutter's return.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Chance we don't find a suitor for Baer. Hope I am wrong. Moving Eriksson is gonna require a lot of luck between now and the deadline. I find it highly unlikely we find someone willing to take his contract atm.

I doubt we move Sutter this year. Sutter does have his uses here for a playoff push despite what people think. Would be very surprised if anyone wanted him after 2 injuries during the season. Needs to end the season healthy. If he does I can see teams being interested in Sutter for a year. Off-season deal makes the most sense.

Other moves can be made before the deadline. Like getting rid of Schaller who has no place now because of Sutter's return.

Just because Sutter has “some” use, it doesn’t balance his usefulness against the cost of losing both Tanev and Stecher plus other players next year because we pushed those ELC bonuses into next year and costing us cap space in a crunch year.

At this point over halfway through the season you would need to ditch over $7 million in cap to pay for those bonuses.

Don't believe Me, believe Weisbrod who literally said as the first item on their plans was that they were actively trying to create cap space.

8 hours ago, Provost said:

Just because Sutter has “some” use, it doesn’t balance his usefulness against the cost of losing both Tanev and Stecher plus other players next year because we pushed those ELC bonuses into next year and costing us cap space in a crunch year.

At this point over halfway through the season you would need to ditch over $7 million in cap to pay for those bonuses.

Don't believe Me, believe Weisbrod who literally said as the first item on their plans was that they were actively trying to create cap space.

I do believe you but I don't think moving Sutter is our only option. I also don't think there's a market for him yet. Hence why I said the off-season.

I also don't think we re-sign Stecher. His qualifying offer is gonna be too much. Similar situation to Hutton.

Bonuses kick when? Would Ferland/Leivo being on LTIR affect that? I need clarification so I can so I can give you an appropriate response.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I do believe you but I don't think moving Sutter is our only option. I also don't think there's a market for him yet. Hence why I said the off-season.

I also don't think we re-sign Stecher. His qualifying offer is gonna be too much. Similar situation to Hutton.

Bonuses kick when? Would Ferland/Leivo being on LTIR affect that? I need clarification so I can so I can give you an appropriate response.

Petterson and Hughes ELC bonuses will be about $3.7 million.  Nothing I have seen in the the CBA or anyone writing about it suggests you can use LTIR overages to pay those bonuses.

If you can’t fit them under the cap, you can push them into next year.

Just now, Provost said:

Petterson and Hughes ELC bonuses will be about $3.7 million.  Nothing I have seen in the the CBA or anyone writing about it suggests you can use LTIR overages to pay those bonuses.

If you can’t fit them under the cap, you can push them into next year.

Those bonuses kick in after the deadline?

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Those bonuses kick in after the deadline?

I don’t think it matters when they kick in,   They aren’t part of the daily cap limit but are part of a separate bonus pool.  You get to put any cap leftover at the end of the year towards covering them and any additional can push into the next year.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t think it matters when they kick in,   They aren’t part of the daily cap limit but are part of a separate bonus pool.  You get to put any cap leftover at the end of the year towards covering them and any additional can push into the next year.

Aren't there two types of bonuses? Do both A-level and B-level count toward the cap?

Then there has to be a deadline when that cap carries over. I would figure it is in the off-season before the new season's cap is announced.

Theoretically could you trade the player before that deadline? If you were, perhaps, out of the playoffs to another team that was like-wise?