The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Payback is a Bitch

Anyone think that GMJB is going to claim a player off waivers from the Leafs or the Oilers?  Both teams took one of our players last year. I'm thinking he may take a forward since we aren't as deep in that area compared to defense. 

I havent had a chance to look at their rosters to see if there is someone who may be exposed, but every team has those fringe players that they try to sneak through waivers at the beginning of the year. 

Seriously? :huh:

Only take a player off waivers if you genuinely think he will help your team. Don't waste a contract and roster spot on a player just because you think taking someone who wasn't good enough to make the only two teams worse than us last season is some sort of retribution.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Seriously? :huh:

Only take a player off waivers if you genuinely think he will help your team. Don't waste a contract and roster spot on a player just because you think taking someone who wasn't good enough to make the only two teams worse than us last season is some sort of retribution.

I know some people disagree, but JB's not an idiot

9 minutes ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

Anyone think that GMJB is going to claim a player off waivers from the Leafs or the Oilers?  Both teams took one of our players last year. I'm thinking he may take a forward since we aren't as deep in that area compared to defense. 

I havent had a chance to look at their rosters to see if there is someone who may be exposed, but every team has those fringe players that they try to sneak through waivers at the beginning of the year. 

So why create a post about it?  You want us to do the research for you?

Also this is the NHL, not kindergarten or "well, he punched me first" kind of things.  If there is a legitimate interest of course JB will look at it, so will the 29 others team (although we might have priority), otherwise JB's not going to waste a roster spot.  If anything, we might end up losing someone again, since we don't have that many waiver eligible players.

16 minutes ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

Yeah I heard GMJB is planning on claiming Austin Mathews and Conner McDavid off waivers. muhwahwa

5 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

So why create a post about it?  You want us to do the research for you?

Also this is the NHL, not kindergarten or "well, he punched me first" kind of things.  If there is a legitimate interest of course JB will look at it, so will the 29 others team (although we might have priority), otherwise JB's not going to waste a roster spot.  If anything, we might end up losing someone again, since we don't have that many waiver eligible players.

I didn't realize you spoke for all of cdc. Been a slow summer, maybe someone has looked and can give some positive feedback. 

14 minutes ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

I didn't realize you spoke for all of cdc. Been a slow summer, maybe someone has looked and can give some positive feedback. 

It has been slow.

Do the work yourself.

55 minutes ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

This is the type of move Gillis would do (not that he's ever done it but I wouldn't put it past him if he was still employed in the nhl). These are the kind of moves that you make if you want to lose respect from other gm's.  Which is where we were with Gillis. That being said, if Toronto keeps doing what they're doing they will be in the same spot. Maybe others see it differently  but this is what I see.

Purposely tanking

Only signing players to 1 yr deals and shipping them out continuously

Claiming young players off waivers to have them sit in the box all year (corrado)

Placing players on waivers without even contacting them (Cowen?)

Hiring unqualified family members to lure players (vesey)

I'm sure I could think of more if need be.

8 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

This is the type of move Gillis would do (not that he's ever done it but I wouldn't put it past him if he was still employed in the nhl). These are the kind of moves that you make if you want to lose respect from other gm's.  Which is where we were with Gillis. That being said, if Toronto keeps doing what they're doing they will be in the same spot. Maybe others see it differently  but this is what I see.

Purposely tanking

Claiming young players off waivers to have them sit in the box all year (corrado)

How about bringing the CEO of Canadian Tire in to freak Stamkos out?

6 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

How about bringing the CEO of Canadian Tire in to freak Stamkos out?

I don't know what was said but it must have spooked him. I was thinking about adding a stamkos point  but we don't know the facts.  I think it has to do something with stamkos wanting to play center. Guaranteed  Mathews is already penciled in that top c spot.

Just now, Gooseberries said:

I don't know what was said but it must have spooked him. I was thinking about adding a stamkos point  but we don't know the facts.  I think it has to do something with stamkos wanting to play center. Guaranteed  Mathews is already penciled in that top c spot.

We know that the CEO came in.  Enough said.  That is over the top and pretty well unprecedented.  

"Now Steven, just to give you an idea of how disproportionate things are in Toronto....."

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Based on some rumors out there, they didn't want to offer him more than 5 years, citing his health as a factor. 

1 hour ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

image.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Purposely tanking

You understand Gillis was GM of the year voted in by his peers..the other GM's in the league. Even ole Burkie voted for him so the lack of respect thing about him is blown out of proportion. Most GM's in the league are pirate's and cut throats and will do anything to make their team better or worse in some cases.

9 minutes ago, ice orca said:

You understand Gillis was GM of the year voted in by his peers..the other GM's in the league. Even ole Burkie voted for him so the lack of respect thing about him is blown out of proportion. Most GM's in the league are pirate's and cut throats and will do anything to make their team better or worse in some cases.

Yeah? What's he doing now? 

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

Yeah? What's he doing now? 

Probably enjoying life and teaching. Has he had offers from other teams since he was fired? nobody knows or maybe he just likes what he is doing now. Will he get a job again in the NHL in the future? nobody knows that either.

Archived