The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks: 4 Remaining UFA Targets

googlesixtherapper

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Wouldn't mind us signing Gagner to play in Utica and provide some more center depth.

Hmm, it'd take at least 300k on his Utica pay to ink him. Good thought though, I have no problem with a 600k/300k 2-way for a guy like that. Green would appreciate the gesture I'm sure..

Lol, is this how it works??

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I would take Brandon Pirri. Since he hasn't signed with a team yet i'd figure a team can get him on a 1 year contract.

The internet says Vancouver has 3 Million+ worth of cap space maybe a $1.5 to $2 Million one year contract could do the trick.

A former goal scorer and seems like a guy that can be 0.5 PPG person.

So what does it say that he's still not signed?

I'd say it probably says a lot about either his contract expectations or some kind of negative perception around the player.  I'm guessing that he wants to hold out for some term, but I tend to wonder when the Blackhawks let a guy go, when they really know him, if there is something important that the fans don't see. 

Pirri seems much like Baer.  Hope JB holds out until teams are cap desperate or expansion draft protection desperate and then bags that gritty 2nd line scorer.  Don't bother repeat/rinse/repeat with Pirri, Gagner, Baer, Rodin, etc.

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Unless a very favorable 'hockey trade' presents itself  (like the EG trade did), JB should go with what we have and give the extra ice to the kids - we'll be better off long-term that way. 

^^^This.  Benning already said that he is no longer interested in the free agent market.  He is open to a trade.  He has called all the GM's and now he is waiting for a favorable response.

As the line up sits now, it is not bad.  He has 5 players who have a recent track record who can hold the fort in the top 6 (Sedins, Eriksson, Sutter, Hansen)  they will shelter younger players below and put them in places to succeed so none of these guys will be moved imo.  Moving Hansen to get a 2LW would be like robbing Peter to pay Paul.  No point.  I think the odds are that Baertschi gets the 2LW spot.  Failing that, Rodin or even Etem have a shot.  I think that Burrows is past playing top 6 for any length of time.

If we signed Verby, we'd have 4 forwards that are 35 years old (Verby, Burrows and the Sedins). Not a good idea. Also, I thought the idea was to get a second line winger with grit who is fast and can score. Verby is not exactly what you would call "gritty". Not excited about any of the options in that 'article'.

1 hour ago, Sean Avery said:

After the season he had, IDK, but Vrbata might be the best option. If not, then I say Pirri. Maybe 1 year deal at around 3.5 - 4 million? :unsure:

An empty roster spot would be a better option.  Vrbata should have had his lazy arse stuck in the pressbox last season.  What good is a lazy bum who can't score, won't backcheck, won't forecheck, won't go to the dirty areas, and floats around like he's been sampling every single dispensary's offerings?

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

^^^This.  Benning already said that he is no longer interested in the free agent market.  He is open to a trade.  He has called all the GM's and now he is waiting for a favorable response.

As the line up sits now, it is not bad.  He has 5 players who have a recent track record who can hold the fort in the top 6 (Sedins, Eriksson, Sutter, Hansen)  they will shelter younger players below and put them in places to succeed so none of these guys will be moved imo.  Moving Hansen to get a 2LW would be like robbing Peter to pay Paul.  No point.  I think the odds are that Baertschi gets the 2LW spot.  Failing that, Rodin or even Etem have a shot.  I think that Burrows is past playing top 6 for any length of time.

This is right.  JB has already started that he is no longer in the market for a free agent.  think that a key point that is being missed here is that Sutter and Horvat will be 2C and 3C respectively.  I don't foresee one getting significantly more ice time than the other.  Rather I believe that there deployment will be situational.  Barring injuries, Sutter's line may start the year taking more of the "tougher" minutes.

If the Canucks were to pick up the gritty scoring winger that JB wants it would have to be someone who is proven.  Since the Canucks only have 3m in cap space, a salary would have to go the other way in the  trade.  The most likely scenario is that a team in need of cap space needs to drop a player in the 4m-5m range.  Trade could be Dorset and a mid round draft pick or a borderline prospect.  

The whole point of the trade would be an upgrade not a parallel move or a reclamation project.

Think about this:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Horvat Baer ________

Sutter Hansen Burrows

Granlund Etem Virtanin/Rodin

The better the player that you put in the blank slot, the better it is for the immediate needs of the team and the better it is for Bo & Baer.  The Sutter line is dependable, can carry some of the heavy minutes and play a shut down role while chipping in a bit of offense here and there.  

If you can fill that slot with a guy who has legitimate 20-30 goal potential and you repeatedly put that line into key offensive situations they will succeed.  As Bo & Baer gain confidence they are far more likely to emerge as true top 6 forwards however the whole key to this is putting the right player in that empty slot.

Everyone listed on the 4th line (and Guance who probably doesn't make the team out of camp) would have every chance to play their way up the line up.  There are bound to be injuries.  For all we know Rodin or Virt step in and light it up, but the team needs someone steady as a rock to play with Bo & Baer.

Thats my rant on this.  Lol.

29 minutes ago, JCM7 said:

This is right.  JB has already started that he is no longer in the market for a free agent.  think that a key point that is being missed here is that Sutter and Horvat will be 2C and 3C respectively.  I don't foresee one getting significantly more ice time than the other.  Rather I believe that there deployment will be situational.  Barring injuries, Sutter's line may start the year taking more of the "tougher" minutes.

If the Canucks were to pick up the gritty scoring winger that JB wants it would have to be someone who is proven.  Since the Canucks only have 3m in cap space, a salary would have to go the other way in the  trade.  The most likely scenario is that a team in need of cap space needs to drop a player in the 4m-5m range.  Trade could be Dorset and a mid round draft pick or a borderline prospect.  

The whole point of the trade would be an upgrade not a parallel move or a reclamation project.

Think about this:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Horvat Baer ________

Sutter Hansen Burrows

Granlund Etem Virtanin/Rodin

The better the player that you put in the blank slot, the better it is for the immediate needs of the team and the better it is for Bo & Baer.  The Sutter line is dependable, can carry some of the heavy minutes and play a shut down role while chipping in a bit of offense here and there.  

If you can fill that slot with a guy who has legitimate 20-30 goal potential and you repeatedly put that line into key offensive situations they will succeed.  As Bo & Baer gain confidence they are far more likely to emerge as true top 6 forwards however the whole key to this is putting the right player in that empty slot.

Everyone listed on the 4th line (and Guance who probably doesn't make the team out of camp) would have every chance to play their way up the line up.  There are bound to be injuries.  For all we know Rodin or Virt step in and light it up, but the team needs someone steady as a rock to play with Bo & Baer.

Thats my rant on this.  Lol.

This could be the proposal that Benning has floated to the GM's.  Dorsett (has become redundant here) + Pedan or Grenier (may or may not clear waivers).  As training camps approach and begin, something like this could gain traction.

4 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

So what does it say that he's still not signed?

I'd say it probably says a lot about either his contract expectations or some kind of negative perception around the player.  I'm guessing that he wants to hold out for some term, but I tend to wonder when the Blackhawks let a guy go, when they really know him, if there is something important that the fans don't see. 

Yeah he is awful defensively. He is a liabilty which you don't want in a secondary scoring type player, only guys that put up 50 plus points can get away with that which he isn't either, so kinda leaves him in no mans land. Better off with a guy who might not produce as much as Pirri but prevents a whole lot more.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

This could be the proposal that Benning has floated to the GM's.  Dorsett (has become redundant here) + Pedan or Grenier (may or may not clear waivers).  As training camps approach and begin, something like this could gain traction.

Dorset with his 2.6 mil cap hit  would be tough contract to move ....

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

canucknoway I'm clicking that link.

Ditto. It's an awful site with no credentials. Essentially CDC posters with their own site.

I don't want to see any broken down old players on a retirement gig signed by the Canucks as UFA's.

I  am more than happy to see our younger prospects play on the second and third lines. 

Younger players will be playing way harder trying to establish pro careers, compared to the guy on his last contract....  putting in time....  AKA another Vrbata. 

Expectations are low for next year , just want to see the kids improve and develop.

I didn't see Vbrta like most of you guys, it seems. 

Firstly He seemed to be put on baby sitter watch for most of a disastrous season. Well that might be fine for a guy in his mid to late 20's but for a not too physical, slight framed, vet, I don't think it is particularly satisfying for the vet or the the babies.

Secondly, I watched every game the Canucks played IN FULL and other than a handful just after the turn of the year (in particular the Wild game) I can honestly say I saw no lack of effort OR commitment from Vbrata.

Indeed while acknowledging his lack of scoring Willie himself said, in more than one post match interview, he liked Vbrata's effort levels.

So out of that bunch I would be happy to see Radim back for another kick at the can, in what has to be a stronger, more physical, more experienced team. After all we wouldn't shun a youngster for one poor season in a poor team (especially after a previous 30 goal season) so why should it be any different with a vet?

Archived