The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN 1040

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Benning would need to draft/find a 1C in the next couple years but it sure wouldn't look bad with:

Baer, 1C, Boeser

Landeskog, Horvat, Virtanen

Guance, Sutter, Etem

...as our top 9 in a few years.

I see Bo being able to become our #1 center.  At 20 he's already hit the 40 point mark.  In two years with more opportunity and #1 PP time, I could see him being a 65-75 point player. 

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I see Bo being able to become our #1 center.  At 20 he's already hit the 40 point mark.  In two years with more opportunity and #1 PP time, I could see him being a 65-75 point player. 

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Ideally I'd like to get a more dynamic guy and have Horvat be the '2' in a solid 1-2 punch. I also think he'll be a better fit with Virt than Boeser and (both are) more suited to a 2nd line but we'll see what happens.

If we can draft that 1C while the twins are still around (and the young guys are ready to play top 6), we might even get one last cup run before they retire in say ~3 or 4 years.

Baer, 1C, Boeser

2LW, Horvat, Virtanen

Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson

Gaunce, Sutter, Etem

is stupid deep.

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Ideally I'd like to get a more dynamic guy and have Horvat be the '2' in a solid 1-2 punch. I also think he'll be a better fit with Virt than Boeser and (both are) more suited to a 2nd line but we'll see what happens.

If we can draft that 1C while the twins are still around (and the young guys are ready to play top 6), we might even get one last cup run before they retire in say ~3 or 4 years.

Baer, 1C, Boeser

2LW, Horvat, Virtanen

Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson

Gaunce, Sutter, Etem

is stupid deep.

True, imo, if Bo is putting up 70 points and being strong defensively i'd be more than happy for him to be our number 1 center,  Hawks don't seem to have a problem when that type of center, neither do the Kings.

it's also really hard to predict how players turn out, Rodin, Stukel, Lockwood could be solid top 6 players for us.  I mean who would have thought Hutton would be in our top 4 at the this time last year.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

True, imo, if Bo is putting up 70 points and being strong defensively i'd be more than happy for him to be our number 1 center,  Hawks don't seem to have a problem when that type of center, neither do the Kings.

it's also really hard to predict how players turn out, Rodin, Stukel, Lockwood could be solid top 6 players for us.  I mean who would have thought Hutton would be in our top 4 at the this time last year.

Yeah who knows, Zhukenov, Horvat or another prospect could be our future 1C for all we know. Time will tell.

Point is, the apparent shear panic around here to 'replace the Sedins!' :frantic: or compete with the top 6 of other teams in the not too distant future is far less scary than those posters make it out to be.

I mean in ~3-4 years, if we haven't drafted anyone capable and neither Horvat or any other prospects have stepped up to seize that role...by all means be concerned THEN.

There's a LOT of time between now and then though and given how much Benning has transformed the team in the last couple years, I have no idea why people are so concerned. IMO in ~2 years we'll all be laughing at how worried some of CDC was.

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I did.

Just now, J.R. said:

Yeah who knows, Zhukenov, Horvat or another prospect could be our future 1C for all we know. Time will tell.

Point is, the apparent shear panic around here to 'replace the Sedins!' :frantic: or compete with the top 6 of other teams in the not too distant future is far less scary than those posters make it out to be.

I mean in ~3-4 years, if we haven't drafted anyone capable and neither Horvat or any other prospects have stepped up to seize that role...by all means be concerned THEN.

There's a LOT of time between now and then though and given how much Benning has transformed the team in the last couple years, I have no idea why people are so concerned. IMO in ~2 years we'll all be laughing at how worried some of CDC was.

Once the Sedins retire........Hockey apocalypse!

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

:lol:

And again, even if that happens (which I don't think it will), we'll be picking around the top 6 and getting those high skill, low risk players they're clamoring for...

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I've been reading that apocalyptic view too.  Maybe that's why JB and Aqulini are pushing for a playoff team now, because they know what's coming?  Why intentionally tank now, when it's inevitable in a couple years?  

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Good post...The D ,and goaltending (providing Markstrom and Demko pan out) looks like its getting sorted...If worst comes to worst,you can always trade for a 1C (the Jeff Carter trade to LA comes to mind) down the road...Benning has only completed two seasons,its not going to happen all at once.

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

Good post...The D ,and goaltending (providing Markstrom and Demko pan out) looks like its getting sorted...If worst comes to worst,you can always trade for a 1C (the Jeff Carter trade to LA comes to mind) down the road...Benning has only completed two seasons,its not going to happen all at once.

Wasn't Kopitar the number one in LA?  Carter cost the Kings Jack Johnson, a very high pick d-man.  Wouldn't that be like us trading Juliovvi in a couple years?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I've been reading that apocalyptic view too.  Maybe that's why JB and Aqulini are pushing for a playoff team now, because they know what's coming?  Why intentionally tank now, when it's inevitable in a couple years?  

It's not inevitable. It's possible.

That's pretty much the 'worst case' scenario, so certainly they're planning for it and it may very well happen. At which point we'll be adding some very high talent, promising players to a solid if unspectacular core. The horror!

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Wasn't Kopitar the number one in LA?  Carter cost the Kings Jack Johnson, a very high pick d-man.  Wouldn't that be like us trading Juliovvi in a couple years?

Kopitar was the #1...With the addition of Carter,it gave them a 1a,1b punch (hopefully Horvat will be our 1b)..That trade propelled the Kings (who were a middling bubble team) into SC winners.

The price for a 1C would be steep..at least a 1st overall,and maybe +..Hopefully,we would have the depth to absorb it.

Just now, J.R. said:

It's not inevitable. It's possible.

That's pretty much the 'worst case' scenario, so certainly they're planning for it and it may very well happen. At which point we'll be adding some very high talent, promising players to a solid if unspectacular core. The horror!

Unless we get a couple elite skilled (young) forwards to go along with Bo's group, what do you think the chances of real painful seasons - post Twins will be?  80%?  

Just now, Honky Cat said:

Kopitar was the #1...With the addition of Carter,it gave them a 1a,1b punch (hopefully Horvat will be our 1b)..That trade propelled the Kings (who were a middling bubble team) into SC winners.

The price for a 1C would be steep..at least a 1st overall,and maybe +..Hopefully,we would have the depth to absorb it.

Hopefully our management doesn't try a trade like that until we ABDOLUTELY have the prospect pool to absorb it.  The Kings had both JJ and DD, so trading one was easier for them.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Unless we get a couple elite skilled (young) forwards to go along with Bo's group, what do you think the chances of real painful seasons - post Twins will be?  80%?  

We'll still have at LEAST Baer, Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen and Eriksson kicking around That's likely 5 out of 6 decent top 6 players with zero other moves/trades and no other prospects forcing their way in to the top 6.

While that's not likely going to win any cups, it's still hardly basement dweller either unless they're hammered with injuries like last year. So pretty low percentages actually.

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

51 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

THIS.

The Aquilini's seem to think the window is still open the tiniest crack and are trying to squeeze through it like Winnie the Pooh stuck in the honey tree....

Aquilini-stuck-like-Winnie-the-Pooh-in-the-Honey-Tree.jpg

59 minutes ago, J.R. said:

It's not a "proper rebuild"... but yet it was still all supposed to be done in 2 years.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

With the commitment to conditioning the Twins have?

They may not be first liners in three years.  But probably will be playing. And at least buffering our ability to buy time for new first line talent.

On 8/6/2016 at 10:22 AM, Rocky Balboa said:

At this point, Kane could murder someone - serve time in jail and fans on CDC would still want him. 

stretchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh(ing) the CDC a bit thin don't you think (your honour, judge, and jury)    Yes of course we're ALL like that  (smh)

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

With the commitment to conditioning the Twins have?

They may not be first liners in three years.  But probably will be playing. And at least buffering our ability to buy time for new first line talent.

First line talent: Bo and Boeser?  

Archived