The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Hudler/Canucks

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Forget I said anything. More 30+ guys the better. What was I thinking. Carry on. 

Funny guy... I never said I didn't like the youth. I said if they were good enough to be on the team that we would make room for them (JB's Quote). If Gaunce made the team it wouldn't be as a 2LW. It would be to displace someone on the 4th line most likely.

4 minutes ago, tas said:

i'd give him a 2 year deal at $3.5 mil in the hopes that he can fill a gap this year and provide some veteran scoring and cap dollars for las vegas next year  

I'd give him one year at Vanek money - 2.5M.

1 minute ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Funny guy... I never said I didn't like the youth. I said if they were good enough to be on the team that we would make room for them (JB's Quote). If Gaunce made the team it wouldn't be as a 2LW. It would be to displace someone on the 4th line most likely.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Don't disagree. As long as Hudler can produce, I'm good with it. Just seems forward wise we're relying on too many "if they can" 30+ guys already and the thought of adding another just doesn't sit well. 

You're right on Gaunce not making 2LW. I'm just hoping that if we do sign Hudler, max 2 years, we don't see his decline here for say 12 goals this season when we could have put Gaunce in and seen if could be good for 8-10. There's more known with Hudler, so it's a better upside for us production wise. 

We'll see if Gaunce can light it up in camp. 

2 minutes ago, mll said:

I'd give him one year at Vanek money - 2.5M.

That would be amazing but there's no way he signs for that when Perron just got 2 years at $3.75M per. Yes, Perron is bigger and younger but he does not have the pedigree of Hudler. 

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Hudler Sutter Virtanen

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Burrows Granlund Dorsett

Etem/Rodin

Definitely a more balanced attack, even if it is a soft lineup. 

Our toughness is on the back end anyways. As long as Gudbranson, Pedan, or Tryamkin are on the ice they can handle the rough stuff.

Sign him for reasonable price for 1 year. Give him some decent linemates,  pp opportunities,  and favorable zone starts.   Use him to get some secondary scoring and possibly closer to the playoffs,  then flip him like a condo in Whiterock at the tdl for a 2nd! 

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

That would be amazing but there's no way he signs for that when Perron just got 2 years at $3.75M per. Yes, Perron is bigger and younger but he does not have the pedigree of Hudler. 

Vanek is the same age as Hudler and had similar production last year - got 2.6M and that was at the start of free agency.

3 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I'm with you. We need more secondary scoring no matter what, and at this point if someone can provide that without being "gritty" then I don't really give a sh**. Sign them up!

+1. Agreed, but contract length will be key. 

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Hudler Sutter Virtanen

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Burrows Granlund Dorsett

Etem/Rodin

Our toughness is on the back end anyways. As long as Gudbranson, Pedan, or Tryamkin are on the ice they can handle the rough stuff.

They don't want Baertschi at LW2 to not put pressure on him  - I don't see them shifting that pressure to Virtanen.

Also it doesn't sound like WD wants to play Baer with Horvat for now - he talks of how he was getting away from his game.  He might be forced to change his mind but I think Horvat's development is too critical to mess with.  

Fwiw Baertschi and Hudler played well together and Hudler is better at RW.

18 minutes ago, mll said:

They don't want Baertschi at LW2 to not put pressure on him  - I don't see them shifting that pressure to Virtanen.

Also it doesn't sound like WD wants to play Baer with Horvat for now - he talks of how he was getting away from his game.  He might be forced to change his mind but I think Horvat's development is too critical to mess with.  

Fwiw Baertschi and Hudler played well together and Hudler is better at RW.

Well if they want to take pressure off Baertschi it means he won't be in the top 6. That's the whole reason we would sign Hudler.

A second line of Baertschi, Hudler, and Sutter is too soft, and we wouldn't have a balanced enough attack IMO.

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Hudler Sutter Virtanen

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Burrows Granlund Dorsett

Etem/Rodin

That's pretty solid. Like you said, our back end can provide the toughness as it stands... So I don't think it's necessary to have a big body forward via trade when we can grab jiri for no cost. Also sbisa belongs in the tough category imo. 

That's a great scenario if you ask me. 

Alternatively we could go after Russell perhaps and then trade a dman whether it's edler Tanev or gud + something for a duchene or landeskog? 

We seriously are 1 forward short if u ask me to compete. If we don't get another forward that can light the lamp and make plays we'll either have to hope our youngsters fill the void or its no playoffs. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Well if they want to take pressure off Baertschi it means he won't be in the top 6. That's the whole reason we would sign Hudler.

A second line of Baertschi, Hudler, and Sutter is too soft, and we wouldn't have a balanced enough attack IMO.

Baertschi-Hudler worked in the past and they put up points.  There's probably some highlights running on youtube.

Benning/WD seem to want a top-6 of vets and a bottom-6 of 'kids' & Dorsett.   I like the idea of adding an experienced goal scorer but I don't really see how it helps the 'kids' to have 6 vets in the top-6 and them in the bottom-6.   It makes it easier for opponents to feast on them especially on the road.  Therrien tried it a couple years back - he had an all rookie line and gave them o-zone starts.  Penguins sent out Malkin - it was an invite to score on them and needless to say it was short-lived.

I also don't think that youngster with youngster helps development re consistency or will get them regular shifts. 

I would say the best way to shelter Baertschi is to give him a proven goal scorer - ideally someone with size who can create some space for him.   He's a playmaker with no experienced goal scorer on his line right now - how do you want him to take the next step. He's not going to develop his playmaking on a checking line and Virtanen/Granlund have yet to find their scoring touch.

Horvat is better sheltered if he gets to play with Hansen to settle his defensive game so he can then take the next step.  

Archived