The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next Alternate Captain?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next Alternate Captain?  

284 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Why Guddy? Why?! He's not a star player nor has he played with our team yet haha

Yea very valid point. I  haven't watched him a lot either to be honest.

I just love players who play dirty hard minutes, hit, scrap and stick up for the team. I feel as though he'd be a leader. Don't have to be a star. 

Also long term I think it could be a good fit. I don't want an older player as it's time to move on. 

I love Bo but not yet. He could be captain some day.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Because one of his big upsides is his leadership.  

Most fans, teammates, and even Dale Talon thought Guds was going to be Floridas next captain 

Yeah I guess. I know there's some Panthers' fans who still thought he'd be a future captain but a lot of them still want him to be that #2 d-man they wanted as well. He's got good leadership skills, but you're not going to lead an aging core of players under the first part of the year. He'll have to get used to the dynamics. 

You've gotta prove yourself first before you can lead a team. If you don't lead by example then you're not a good captain. 

He'll be a good player by the way. I'm unbelievably stoked to have him on our team. I think he'll thrive more in the western conference too simply based on play style but yeah, gotta earn the stripes. I personally think he'll make it into our top pairing at some point in the season (I'm assuming Edler may fall a bit again or the obligatory defensive injury).

9 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Yeah I guess. I know there's some Panthers' fans who still thought he'd be a future captain but a lot of them still want him to be that #2 d-man they wanted as well. He's got good leadership skills, but you're not going to lead an aging core of players under the first part of the year. He'll have to get used to the dynamics. 

You've gotta prove yourself first before you can lead a team. If you don't lead by example then you're not a good captain. 

I don't think that is true. 

Companies hire a new boss, Forman, crew leader, etc... from outside the company all the time. 

That person steps in and runs the show. 

Who says you can't do the same with an assistant?   

Some people carry authority and respect wherever they go.

Apparently Guds has that vibe. 

The bigger question is....why should we care??  Hockey, for some reason, takes the idea of a Captain or Alternate Captain, to a level not seen in other sports.   Who is the captain and alternate captains of the BC Lions?  Vancouver Whitecaps? Toronto Blue Jays?  I am pretty sure there is leadership shown by a number of players on all teams....without the need for a letter on their jersey!

30 minutes ago, hookshott said:

The bigger question is....why should we care??  Hockey, for some reason, takes the idea of a Captain or Alternate Captain, to a level not seen in other sports.   Who is the captain and alternate captains of the BC Lions?  Vancouver Whitecaps? Toronto Blue Jays?  I am pretty sure there is leadership shown by a number of players on all teams....without the need for a letter on their jersey!

Well, it actually makes a lot of sense...the Captain and the Assistants are the only players allowed to discuss rule interpretations with the ref while on the ice. 

5 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Well, it actually makes a lot of sense...the Captain and the Assistants are the only players allowed to discuss rule interpretations with the ref while on the ice. 

This.  You need a C and multiple A's to always have someone on the ice representing the team when things need to be said

It was also a big part of why having Luongo as the captain was controversial. Being in the crease, he can't skate over to the penalty box every time and talk to the official

On 9/4/2016 at 7:21 PM, MikeyD said:

Why Guddy? Why?! He's not a star player nor has he played with our team yet haha

For much the same reason Malhotra was given an A here. He wasn't a star, nor had he played here previously. He simply had experience and leadership qualities. Mitchell was also given an A when he arrived. Gudbranson is cut from the same cloth.

11 hours ago, ovechkinisgod said:

This.  You need a C and multiple A's to always have someone on the ice representing the team when things need to be said

It was also a big part of why having Luongo as the captain was controversial. Being in the crease, he can't skate over to the penalty box every time and talk to the official

Yet, this same requirement is part of most, if not all, sports....and others still chirp...like the soccer picture which is probably the worst!  As well, some teams choose to not appoint a Captain at all....and just go with A's.....seems to work fine as well...as more people are given a leadership role.  My point is simply that, too much is made of these appointments...and that leadership and conferring with officials, occurs in every sport....but the appointment of such players seems to be way more significant than it needs to be in hockey. 

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

For much the same reason Malhotra was given an A here. He wasn't a star, nor had he played here previously. He simply had experience and leadership qualities. Mitchell was also given an A when he arrived. Gudbranson is cut from the same cloth.

They won't get it until after he has played here a few months.

Hence my original response.

21 hours ago, hookshott said:

Yet, this same requirement is part of most, if not all, sports....and others still chirp...like the soccer picture which is probably the worst!  As well, some teams choose to not appoint a Captain at all....and just go with A's.....seems to work fine as well...as more people are given a leadership role.  My point is simply that, too much is made of these appointments...and that leadership and conferring with officials, occurs in every sport....but the appointment of such players seems to be way more significant than it needs to be in hockey. 

Disagree. 

Also, are you really comparing Hockey to Soccer??? 

There's no point comparing other sports to Hockey.

Hockey is a special game. 

On September 6, 2016 at 2:53 AM, Baggins said:

Maholtra had probably 10 years nhl experience though, Mitchell played a couple seasons before he was an alternate. I think its early to make Gudbranson an Assistant C, maybe in a couple years.

Archived