The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

The problem isn't who they put with the Sedins right now, it's the Sedins themselves.  They need to get their act together if they can.  They have been mostly invisible in the first five games with the exception of a few good shifts/moments, usually when they are given preferential O-zone starts and PP time.  Tonight they were -2.  They look like they have lost another step and are struggling to keep up with the game.  They are too slow to play the fast forecheck style the team is playing this year and are struggling mightily in their own end.

The game is getting younger and faster and they are heading in the opposite direction.  Still smart and talented but they look like they no longer have the ability to stay with the pace 5v5.

Sure but the twins have always been slow starters. But I hear what you're saying. 

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

he already added Sutter to the SO.  this is only the second SO. I suspect the next SO they will get a different mix. I would like to see Bo too.

I like Sutter in the shootout. He seems to keep it simple and shoot. Reminds me of how BMO used to do it.

I would like to see Horvat and Granlund or Virtanen next time at the number 1 and 3 shooters.

Pretty annoyed with the Powerplay staying the same. Only got that first goal because of a broken play, which won't normally happen, and the 2nd because Edler was out there. Not sure why Edler isn't on our first PP unit. It's not like going 1 for 10 is an acceptable powerplay percentage. Please, coaches. Change it up...

1 minute ago, Cromeslab said:

They were beat down a lot early it's what LA does.

Yah I'm always impressed with how hard LA works.  I'm just still a bit steamed at the shootout choices, 2 pits from this one would have been a hell of a boost for the team. 

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

The problem isn't who they put with the Sedins right now, it's the Sedins themselves.  They need to get their act together if they can.  They have been mostly invisible in the first five games with the exception of a few good shifts/moments, usually when they are given preferential O-zone starts and PP time.  Tonight they were -2.  They look like they have lost another step and are struggling to keep up with the game.  They are too slow to play the fast forecheck style the team is playing this year and are struggling mightily in their own end.

The game is getting younger and faster and they are heading in the opposite direction.  Still smart and talented but they look like they no longer have the ability to stay with the pace 5v5.

I agree. They look horrible so far this year IMO. Horrible for their standards anyways. They had that one good shift against Calgary and have managed to score a couple other times but they look completely overmatched 90% of the time.

The PP looks absolutely pathetic right now. How we scored 2 PP goals tonight is a mystery. I feel like Henrik is ineffective along the side boards because he can't shoot and it seems like other teams have had them figured out on the penalty kill for quite some time now. 

Just a random idea (might be stupid?), what if Henrik set up behind the net and then circled out in front of the net on shots? That would give him more passing/one time options. 

Or maybe it's time to split up the Sedins on the PP. Daniel QB the 1st unit and Henrik the 2nd? 

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yah I'm always impressed with how hard LA works.  I'm just still a bit steamed at the shootout choices, 2 pits from this one would have been a hell of a boost for the team. 

LA dominated the first 40 minutes of the game. When they get Gaborik and Quick back they're going to be scary. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

strawman still the best you can come up with?

Learn the definition of strawman. I don't think it means what you think it does...

Last seasons stats are irrelevant to this season. Burrows is a year older and has become a shell of his former self, even from last season.

No confidence = not a good shootout choice.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Learn the definition of strawman. I don't think it means what you think it does...

Last seasons stats are irrelevant to this season. Burrows is a year older and has become a shell of his former self, even from last season.

No confidence = not a good shootout choice.

I wouldn't necessarily fault WD for putting Burrows in the shootout. He was our best option last year so he has to be an option to start the season. But now that he's O for 2, you can bet Willie will be making a change. If he goes back to the well one more time then he deserves to be flamed. But if Burrows scored today he'd be 1 for 2 and would once again be our best SO option. It's a fine line...

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I like Sutter in the shootout. He seems to keep it simple and shoot. Reminds me of how BMO used to do it.

I would like to see Horvat and Granlund or Virtanen next time at the number 1 and 3 shooters.

For sure. You could see from preseason and the games so far that Burr does not have the shot he used to have. Time to move out the old. 

Would've liked to see them complete the comeback again, but climbing back from 0-3 to get at least a point... another great character "no-quit" effort! Unfortunately, the new lines didn't click but at least the powerplay came through. Markstrom was great and shut the door after that unlucky third goal. 

On to the next one!

Stop saying who played good or bad!!! , the whole team run out off gas by playing this system, lucky for us to get one points tonight, now we need PP work out for us and goalie have steal a game for us, I said it before, we should make our PP works out that's the No1 task for Canuck go further

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I agree. They look horrible so far this year IMO. Horrible for their standards anyways. They had that one good shift against Calgary and have managed to score a couple other times but they look completely overmatched 90% of the time.

The PP looks absolutely pathetic right now. How we scored 2 PP goals tonight is a mystery. I feel like Henrik is ineffective along the side boards because he can't shoot and it seems like other teams have had them figured out on the penalty kill for quite some time now. 

Just a random idea (might be stupid?), what if Henrik set up behind the net and then circled out in front of the net on shots? That would give him more passing/one time options. 

Or maybe it's time to split up the Sedins on the PP. Daniel QB the 1st unit and Henrik the 2nd? 

I think part of it is familiarity - and part of it is simply that L.A. is not an easy team to cycle against.

Add to that that you're in their barn, where they have the last change, and you can layer in a steady dose of that beast Kopitar to a failry nasty blueline. 

The Kings also are not shy about taking constant cheap shots on them - every time they face them - and it's usually a throw-the-whistles away event.   Tonight no difference with Carter throwing the cheap shot on Daniel.   L.A. wound up short-handed six times, and that was despite the fact that they were letting a ton of shat go.

Not really conducive to Sedinery - and that's why I really miss Kassian on a night like this.

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wouldn't necessarily fault WD for putting Burrows in the shootout. He was our best option last year so he has to be an option to start the season. But now that he's O for 2, you can bet Willie will be making a change. If he goes back to the well one more time then he deserves to be flamed. But if Burrows scored today he'd be 1 for 2 and would once again be our best SO option. It's a fine line...

His play on the ice signals a player that isn't very confident out there.

I'd love for him to be able to be the hero in that situation, but I'm just not seeing that typical Burrows swagger anymore. 

At a certain point you gotta let your young guys take over and see what they can do. 

Archived