The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

Virtanen has not been great. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

He's probably afraid of re-injuring his shoulder.

Without his physical game he's not going to have nearly as much of an impact though.

He's just not been that good yet.  Send him down until he earns his way back.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Only problems I had with that game from Willie is the fact we played Larsen and not Tryamkin against the Kings of all teams. And the ice time, particularly with Jake. Burrows in the shootout wasn't as bad as the other two decisions.

I agree with splitting up Eriksson from the Sedins. He played Baerstchi with them. Not sure who else you could put since you don't really want to split up 2nd line.

I am more happy that we came back than I am mad at Willie. I think Willie will play Tryamkin tomorrow otherwise he hasn't learn anything from today and then I would be real angry.

All that did though was give us 2 lines with no chemistry. It wasted another hard working night from Bo as well. The Sedins-Loui line should be left alone to find its rhythm, they are by far the best scoring line we have for gods sake!

People are jumping on the coach because Miller didn't play...

What?

Really?

Miller screwed himself up in a workout and needs time to get back in.  And that's the coach's fault.  Uh huh.

The Shootout choices were odd, I'll grant you, but the players screwed the pooch on those.  None of the 3 shots looked like there was any effort or thought put into them.  Can't blame the coach for a half-assed effort.

Virtanen has brief glimpses of brilliance, but just can't sustain them.  He's not getting ice time because he's not earning it.  Jumping on the coach for that is just pointless.  Yell at Jake, get him motivated.

As for Erikson, the best play he made today was giving his stick to Edler in front of the net.  That was the most impact he had all game.  Any warm body can stand in front of a goalie.  I've been holding my breath, trying to wait out his period of getting used to a new environment and team, but... how long is this going to go on?  He's taking up a valuable roster spot and providing nothing in return.  Hope he doesn't have a no-trade clause.  The expansion draft would be a fantastic relief if it means dumping this guy.

Burrows... Well, yeah.  He's a bit past his prime.  Maybe some reduced minutes.  How many more years left on his contract?

Just now, Stelar said:

If he wasn't Bennings first draft pick he wouldn't be here. It's that simple.

agreed i rally don't see the harm in him going to utica and getting meaningful minutes. Travis Green is no slouch either there is a reason he was interviewed by a few teams this off season. All in all I would not be opposed to Jake going to Utica, finding his game and coming back up to the nhl level.

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Can you explain the lines tonight? Just don't get it but maybe I'm missing something. 

Kind of weird to switch them up now. I get that he's looking for more offense, but against the Kings it's more important to have good defensive structure. 

The Sedins and Baertschi didn't really mesh, and Horvat was hardly noticeable with Eriksson and Virtanen.

The thing that drives me nuts with WD is he keeps repeating power play lines, shootout lineups and roster lineups expecting different results. He did it all last year and is doing it again this year. The NHL is way over his coaching ability. 

When he finally has a team that wins 3 games, he screws up the lines 

pure incompetence 

2 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

Philip Larsen with two 1st assists!

He has been better than expected

well done Benning!  when do you think Rodin is ready?

Hopefully soon so that Virtanen can be sent down to further his development.

Right now, Virtanen is coached to play things safe, which is not helpful in terms of developing his talents. And since the Canucks' goal is to make the playoffs, the NHL is not the best place for Virtanen to work on his game and further develop his talents. He needs a place of experiment where he can try different things and gain confidence/learn from the experiments. He cannot do that at the NHL level.

Was at the game tonight (visiting LA from Van) and was really entertained! 

Had it not been for us putting 2 pucks into our own net...we might have won this game! 

Some thoughts...

Sedins - Not bad 5v5 but did well on the PP. Need more efforts like this out of them! Looked better without #21 on their line. 

Horvat - seems to be struggling a lot. Tries to do everything himself. Reminds me of Kesler when he was try and take on 2 D by himself and then lose the puck. Maybe he is feeling the pressure of having to provide offence and build on last season?

Loui - Not impressed with him at all. Lost most of the puck battles and provided very little offensively. Hopefully he figures things out but this has been a brutal signing so far. 

Larsen - I've been skeptical of him for a while but I'm slowly coming around. 2 assists tonight which is solid and wasn't to bad in his own end. 

Was also kinda disappointed with our offence in general. Outshot and outchanced heavily. Seemed to lose a lot of puck battles on the dump in. 

Overall was happy with the result. Was taken to the game by a guy who works in the front office for the Kings so glad they won and happy we got a point lol. 

2 minutes ago, Michael Scofield said:

Heart > Talent

i don't care about the loss at all to be honest. Yeah of course I wish we won but coming back from 3-0 to almost winning it in the end, it shows the character of this team. I'm gonna be honest I love watching this team grind day in and day out.

Agree! Love the no quit we're seeing!!! Got the point, came back, and good momentum going into the Ducks. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Kind of weird to switch them up now. I get that he's looking for more offense, but against the Kings it's more important to have good defensive structure. 

The Sedins and Baertschi didn't really mesh, and Horvat was hardly noticeable with Eriksson and Virtanen.

Yah thats exactly what I saw too. Its like WD is trying to assert himself with some good ideas coming out of Jarvis. Its just they are not good ideas. Not even real good. 

8 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Boxscore says Jake had 3 shots on goal, with his limitied ice time, only Hank and Larsen had more shots @ 4 - but they played all the power plays!

What I dont understand is the complete absence of his hitting game.  Is he being coached to reel it back and not hit, or is there something wrong with him?

I don't think that's accurate as I'd be shocked if Granlund did not have 4 shots on goal.

But Virtanen imo is not 100%. 

2 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Wasn't able to catch the game tonight, but that's actually surprising to me (sadly). I guess going undefeated in regulation will do that. 

yeah, pretty much. 

BTW you missed one heck of a game. What a team, no quit. 

Archived