The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Wonder if they might recall Grenier or Z?(Labate likely suspended)

Fwds need more size.

Super excited to see Zalawski or Grenier skate around doing nothing again.....

might as as well leave Jake here to do that..

11 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

First of all, spell his damn name right.

Second of all get off Burrows' back. Ok. He is better than having Linden Vey or Tom Sestito on the ice. He plays the game with passion. That is all you can ask

Wrong. I haven't seen a single moment of passion out of Burrows. He's spent, time has caught up to him its as simple as that. Once Rodin is ready to come back onto the roster, I expect to see Virtanen in the AHL, Burrows in the press box and Skille out on the ice.

Skille plays with passion, he has the wheels, he plays hard. Burrows gets by shift by shift, it's unfortunate but Gillis extended him by one too many seasons.

8 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Virtanen needs to go learn the game from Travis Green..... when is Rodin back? Need his speed and skill to help jumpstart Ericsson Baertschi and Horvat play better with actual skill on their line.

The Canucks would be better off if they could get rid of Burrows to upgrade team speed with  Labate.

Skille can do what Dorsett does.

Virtanen aint gonna learn offense inthe AHL playing for the Utica Comets. Rodin we havnt even seen play a regular season game. Yes Burrows is done those penalties were a joke for a bubble player, hopefully Skille takes his place. I like Dorsett dont like seeing him on ice when down by a goal but he plays hard every game cant say Labate will do the same.  

• Gaunce looked fantastic - strong on the puck and created a few chances. 
  • Baertschi is working hard -- playing physical/going to the dirty areas.  I agree he has break out potential, depending on having chemistry with consistent line mates (ahem...Willie).  
  • Gudbranson adds lots of stability and out- muscles opponents down low - still waiting him to dummy someone.  Brown would have been nice - especially after he hit Henrik. 
  • Burrows - If he retires, would his salary still count towards our cap? Time for the dragon slayer to pass the torch. 
  • Willie -  we need more scoring, yes. We also won 4 in a row - why change the lines? Loui will catch on with the twins....just leave them.  
  • This team needs speed and scoring - do college prospects ever turn pro in October :)?
  • Virtanen - I can't wait to see him light it up.....with the Comets. 

Virtanen needs to go down to the comets for a dose of Green medicine before he is completely ruined. He needs to take a step back. His offence will never develop if it's not addressed now. We trying to make him into Dorsett's replacement? 

46 minutes ago, Hockey101 class said:

I hope Skille's in tonight Burrows out those penalties in the offensive zone bad Burrows bad.

For a veteran who is supposedly there to lead and mentor the youth, his play has been inexcusable.  The penalties he took are a sign of someone who can no longer contribute the way he has in the past and is chasing the game trying to have an impact. While it may be honourable to let him play out his contract, giving him the A and putting him in the SO over the young guys is detrimental to the teams' chances and I fail to see how he is mentoring anyone when the kids are capable of doing a better job than he is.

The Nucks have enough "character guys" on the team and can't afford to carry dead weight.  It's time for a younger version of Burrows to get a chance...LaBate, Skille, Zulo etc.

22 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

For a veteran who is supposedly there to lead and mentor the youth, his play has been inexcusable.  The penalties he took are a sign of someone who can no longer contribute the way he has in the past and is chasing the game trying to have an impact. While it may be honourable to let him play out his contract, giving him the A and putting him in the SO over the young guys is detrimental to the teams' chances and I fail to see how he is mentoring anyone when the kids are capable of doing a better job than he is.

The Nucks have enough "character guys" on the team and can't afford to carry dead weight.  It's time for a younger version of Burrows to get a chance...LaBate, Skille, Zulo etc.

I'm happy that we jump in to kill off his penalties, because of his history and who he is, but they always seem to be momentum killers this past while. Anyone else wouldn't get the same consideration.

Canucks fan in LA...Was at the game, and had these opinions..  Hansen line was great.  His speed makes things happen.  Gudbransen is solid.  Edler and Tanev too.  Sbisa, below average but physical at least.  Larsen should never see ice that isn't on PP.  Anytime he was on the ice Kings either scored or threatened to. Redeemed somewhat by PP assists though.  Burrows is better than Tuomo Ruutu?  Really?  Gaunce looked ineffective to me and lost a lot of faceoffs.  Is just a big body taking up space..  I don't think Baertschi will happen in the NHL. He Is trying but I don't he has an NHL player's finishing touch.  Loui Eriksson looks like he needs time to figure out the team, but at least knows what's going on out there and where to be. Should be left with Twins (and used in the shootout!).

Virtanen - hit no one, looked lost..     

There used to be way more Vancouver fans at Canucks/Kings games too...

12 hours ago, khay said:

Yeah I agree. That 4th line winger role needs someone who is willing to assert himself by being physical and being in your face. Not someone who plays things safe.

I feel like Gaunce was great and getting better as a 4th line centre. Gaunce would benefit greatly from having another pair of young legs on his line, to help him forecheck to turn the puck over.

Labate, Gaunce, Virtanen = 4th line

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I know hence why I said he isn't ready.

Willie handles his icetime like crap though.

I think part of the problem is that he is too worried about making a mistake because he knows if he does WD is going to bench him and put him in the press box next game. That results in passive play. WD needs to give him more leeway and you will see a better JV. We know that wont happen though, Its strange because part of the reason WD was brought in was his supposed ability to work well with young players, but unless that young player is his boy Linden Vey he doesn't seem to handle them very well. The sooner he is gone the better.

14 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

I think part of the problem is that he is too worried about making a mistake because he knows if he does WD is going to bench him and put him in the press box next game. That results in passive play. WD needs to give him more leeway and you will see a better JV. We know that wont happen though, Its strange because part of the reason WD was brought in was his supposed ability to work well with young players, but unless that young player is his boy Linden Vey he doesn't seem to handle them very well. The sooner he is gone the better.

The fact is though what he does on the time he does get does little to make his case.

It's alright for us sitting here bleating at the coach for this guy and that guy to get more TOI but is your job on the line? No it's not.

Jake does not look ready. Actually he doesn't even look as good as he did last season. Imo he doesn't look fit. Ok he reels of the standard message in interviews, about making big hits and helping the team - but he's not.

He needs and this is only my opinion to get rid of 10lbs. Every time I see him he looks gassed. Yet people like you want him on the ice for longer, do you want to wreck the guy?

You may be right he is worried about making a mistake but he might also think that, if he knows he is having to coast it because he is not fit. All I know is he didn't lack confidence when he came back from the WJC (probably because of the number of times WD pumped his tires)

Send him down to Utica where he won't have the same pressure and the game is slower, so that he can build fitness and confidence. Bring up LaBate.

6 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

The fact is though what he does on the time he does get does little to make his case.

It's alright for us sitting here bleating at the coach for this guy and that guy to get more TOI but is your job on the line? No it's not.

Jake does not look ready. Actually he doesn't even look as good as he did last season. Imo he doesn't look fit. Ok he reels of the standard message in interviews, about making big hits and helping the team - but he's not.

He needs and this is only my opinion to get rid of 10lbs. Every time I see him he looks gassed. Yet people like you want him on the ice for longer, do you want to wreck the guy?

Send him down to Utica where he won't have the same pressure and the game is slower, so that he can build fitness and confidence. Bring up LaBate.

Again, I think a lot of that can be attributed to him knowing that if he makes a mistake his ass is benched so he is trying to play it safe, which doesn't suit his style. i'm not saying play him 18 mins a game. I never did so don't put words in my mouth. I'm saying give him more leeway, let him learn from his mistakes, ya sometimes you have to send him a message. It's a fine line. You can defend WD all you want but the guy is not an NHL coach, he sucks at managing the bench, his lines combinations are baffling at times and for some reason he seems intent on stifling Horvat's offensive ability when the team needs all the scoring it can get. I do agree that JV needs time in Utica though and I think that will happen once Rodin comes back. But while he is here We don't need WD ruining his confidence.

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:
  • Gaunce looked fantastic - strong on the puck and created a few chances. 
  • Baertschi is working hard -- playing physical/going to the dirty areas.  I agree he has break out potential, depending on having chemistry with consistent line mates (ahem...Willie).  
  • Gudbranson adds lots of stability and out- muscles opponents down low - still waiting him to dummy someone.  Brown would have been nice - especially after he hit Henrik. 
  • Burrows - If he retires, would his salary still count towards our cap? Time for the dragon slayer to pass the torch. 
  • Willie -  we need more scoring, yes. We also won 4 in a row - why change the lines? Loui will catch on with the twins....just leave them.  
  • This team needs speed and scoring - do college prospects ever turn pro in October :)?
  • Virtanen - I can't wait to see him light it up.....with the Comets. 

In one breath you day the team needs more speed and in the next breath you want to send the fastest skater on the team to utica

1 minute ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Again, I think a lot of that can be attributed to him knowing that if he makes a mistake his ass is benched so he is trying to play it safe, which doesn't suit his style. i'm not saying play him 18 mins a game. I never did so don't put words in my mouth. I'm saying give him more leeway, let him learn from his mistakes, ya sometimes you have to send him a message. It's a fine line. You can defend WD all you want but the guy is not an NHL coach, he sucks at managing the bench, his lines combinations are baffling at times and for some reason he seems intent on stifling Horvat's offensive ability when the team needs all the scoring it can get. I do agree that JV needs time in Utica though and I think that will happen once Rodin comes back. But while he is here We don't need WD ruining his confidence.

What are you talking about? I never said anything like that - behave.

You seem to have confused the NHL with the AHL. 

The NHL is where a club tries to attain success and revenue not where you "baby" players who are not ready until they finally make the grade. That is what happens in the AHL.

Gaunce had to serve his time in Utica and no one complained. Of course he wasn't a BC boy who smacked people over the boards in the juniors. 

Your last comment is ridiculous or have you forgotten how Willie pulled him around after the WJC. 

Incredible come back... 

This team gives me goosebumps. 

I haven't been this proud of our boys in a while... Keep up the good work. 

Little surprised Willie juggled the lines after 4-0 but they made a huge comeback and played incredible. Can't blame him for a 4 0 1 record. 

Canucks > Everything. 

2 hours ago, Hockey101 class said:

Virtanen aint gonna learn offense inthe AHL playing for the Utica Comets. Rodin we havnt even seen play a regular season game. Yes Burrows is done those penalties were a joke for a bubble player, hopefully Skille takes his place. I like Dorsett dont like seeing him on ice when down by a goal but he plays hard every game cant say Labate will do the same.  

This post is swiss cheese. Yet stinks like something much moldier. 

Archived