The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What truly makes you happy?

JV77

This thread title brings to mind an article I read some yrs back..it was called, "Embrace Your Eccentricity". The gist was that people who maintained bizarre, unique or let's say, unexplained interests/hobbies, might be statistically happier than your avg cat. There's a certain 'I don't giva' shyte' aspect, that suggests(perhaps?) individualism expressed(usually creatively) through some form of passion, may lend itself to a deeper satisfaction. Culturally, I'd suggest this is even more enhanced within the social paradigms of western "new world" day to day slog.

Personally I subscribe to this theory. I feel a little happier searching for a rhyme in words, even for a silly laugh. Never really liked following the flock, or using stock phrases(boring!) that follow the cliched-guidelines of any particular period.

I'd also suggest in this massively tech-dystopian period of thought, more people are reluctant to individually set off upon any untrodden path. We've all become conditioned & brainwashed with group-think. We need likes & back-slaps. Food for thought?...

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

This thread title brings to mind an article I read some yrs back..it was called, "Embrace Your Eccentricity". The gist was that people who maintained bizarre, unique or let's say, unexplained interests/hobbies, might be statistically happier than your avg cat. There's a certain 'I don't giva' shyte' aspect, that suggests(perhaps?) individualism expressed(usually creatively) through some form of passion, may lend itself to a deeper satisfaction. Culturally, I'd suggest this is even more enhanced within the social paradigms of western "new world" day to day slog.

Personally I subscribe to this theory. I feel a little happier searching for a rhyme in words, even for a silly laugh. Never really liked following the flock, or using stock phrases(boring!) that follow the cliched-guidelines of any particular period.

I'd also suggest in this massively tech-dystopian period of thought, more people are reluctant to individually set off upon any untrodden path. We've all become conditioned & brainwashed with group-think. We need likes & back-slaps. Food for thought?...

I liked this. :lol:

Well I have been working out of town the last year and out of province for four years before that for extended periods.

as a result one of the many sacrifices has been not playing hockey as I can't commit to a team and haven't been on a set schedule.

anyhow,  I played my first game in ages last week and have another this Saturday.

scored in my first game back, and drank a couple pops after.

great to be on the ice again.

• 4 weeks later...

Making a difference. Whether that be in someone's life or something else.

I have the need to have to have a positive effect on people. To leave an impression on everyone I meet. To gravitate to people.

I enjoy leaving my mark in the world through my actions and interactions. 

Of all the things to choose from this might strike people as weird but I have always strived to stand out.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:49 AM, luckyjack said:

I'm a huge fan of travelling and different types of massages. These two things really make me happy. In my last trip I attended kiev massage parlor and that was incredible. The masseuse was very sensual and with her help I forgot about all troubles. One of the greatest experiences I ever had. 

Sounds like those trips can get pretty costly....

giphy.gif

On 11/14/2016 at 1:56 AM, JV77 said:

What needs to happen or be present for someone to say "Life is good and I'm happy"?

To finally beat depression. If you've never experienced chronic depression, trust me - almost 3 decades of being unable to get higher than a 5/10 emotionally (And generally a 2 or 3/10 daily) gets pretty draining.  Despite therapy, medication, naturopathy, and my "logic over emotions" mind, I just can't beat it.

Kinda waiting for my son to grow up so I don't completely ruin his life before I take my leave. Hard to be too enthusiastic about life when you're just waiting for the end.

Oh... and cars.  I love cars.

• 1 month later...

Archived