The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Monday Nov 14th Practice Update

Ossi Vaananen

Interesting... I don't mind Gaunce on the wing... I don't like much of what I've seen from him centering a line. Honestly, in general I haven't been a fan of Gaunce so far... 

At first I thought Jimbo just didn't wana give him as much of a chance since he was an MG pick, but guess he just wasn't ready. 

25 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Well lost to many on here, is that he was being tested on the PK. That could open up a tonne of minutes, as i'm sure his speed would be useful in a PK role. 

I figured they'd sit him vs. the Rangers, don't change a winning line-up. I fully expect to see him return to the lineup by the weekend however. 

The point about pk is a good one: Burrows-heavy with speed. If he can develop half the tenacity Burrows has... he'll be a hell of a player.

Hansen has been a good model for this kind of penalty killing too.

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

Interesting... I don't mind Gaunce on the wing... I don't like much of what I've seen from him centering a line. Honestly, in general I haven't been a fan of Gaunce so far... 

At first I thought Jimbo just didn't wana give him as much of a chance since he was an MG pick, but guess he just wasn't ready. 

Not sure why you say that apollo, but Gaunce has been excellent imo.  15.2% offensive zone starts and very good possession numbers - just under 50% at 48.8.  That's pretty good imo.

But Chaput has been even better in his short stint. 3.8% ozone starts - that's right 3.8% and his corsi is 50.0% even, 9th best.  Very small sample, but enough to indicate why he might be earning a bit more of a role.

Dorsett has also been outstanding - you see him flying around the ice as usual, forechecking like he means it and his underlying numbers show how solid he's been = 51.1% corsi, 7th best on the club.

Baertschi  has the most room for improvement in both production and puck possession - hopefully he breaks out of it soon.   WD has been tailoring a lot of opportunity for him of late, so perhaps it's just a matter of time (he had a couple good chances last night).

34 minutes ago, apollo said:

Kinda mind blowing that he was a first round pick.

the idea of Dorsett on the 2nd line doesn't really wow me what so ever. but you have to do what ever you can to keep this team rolling. facing the Rangers we faced last week just steamrolled Alberta over the weekend and they'll be out there hungry. our team however will be even more hungrier! 

50 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Not sure why you say that apollo, but Gaunce has been excellent imo.  15.2% offensive zone starts and very good possession numbers - just under 50% at 48.8.  That's pretty good imo.

But Chaput has been even better in his short stint. 3.8% ozone starts - that's right 3.8% and his corsi is 50.0% even, 9th best.  Very small sample, but enough to indicate why he might be earning a bit more of a role.

Dorsett has also been outstanding - you see him flying around the ice as usual, forechecking like he means it and his underlying numbers show how solid he's been = 51.1% corsi, 7th best on the club.

Baertschi  has the most room for improvement in both production and puck possession - hopefully he breaks out of it soon.   WD has been tailoring a lot of opportunity for him of late, so perhaps it's just a matter of time (he had a couple good chances last night).

Hmmm... iono man he's taking frustrating penalties, not making tape to tape passes and I've noticed him just getting out hustled/battled for pucks... I'm not much of a corsi guy

Chaput I need to see more off but he hasn't been frustrating me so far. 

Dorsett, always been a fan. His only fault is that his agent out smarted Jimbo... he's been moved around too much and doesn't seem like he's built enough chemistry. Hopefully a line with him loui and markus can stick ... seems like a trio that could do some damage/ 

I think we really need a permanent pairing on the 4th line that can build some chemistry. Even Dors doesn't seem like he's got bounced up and down the line up too much. 

Long story short, we need better chemistry lol! 

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

This is beyond ridiculous.  I'll be "developing" as well as Virtanen on Tuesday when I watch the hockey game too.

Oh, so you'll have been attending pro level practices, following a strict workout schedule designed by hockey strength and conditioning coaches, and watching targeted game video to help you improve?

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

Relax sparky.

Utica plays on Wednesday. if we kept him in Utica for that game he would likely not be able to play the Thursday game after a late game and flight across the country. this just means he is in on Thursday . 

Probably, barring any issues.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Jake isn't a houseplant folks.  He's not going to wilt and die simply because he's been moved from one room to another.

Exactly, we were all freaking out when Tryamkin wasn't playing at the start of the year and now it's fine.  As much as I think more than 2 games in Utica would benefit Virtanen, it's not a huge deal if he doesn't play this next game on Tuesday.  Just slot him in Thursday.

And thank's for reminding me, I have a chilli pepper plant indoors that should get moved to a room with more sunlight.  I think I'll name the plant Jake.

Willie Desjardin, his staff and the organization believe in Virtanen. They know he has an NHL game. This call up as an extra forward tells him that you are going to be held accountable. Just because you are a 6th overall pick doesnt mean you can get away with half assed games/workouts/practice habits etc. To play in the National Hockey League means you act like a professional even though you still may be a kid. They are handling his development just fine. 

Archived