The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So impressed with Bo Horvat

Matt_T83

This guy couldn't have any more class, and we probably don't deserve him on our team.

He's on one of the worst teams in the league, and was put on the 4th line to start the season, just to add insult to injury. Instead of rightfully complaining and falling into despair, which many players would do, he just focuses on playing his game and improving. He has now worked his way up to being our leading scorer, and looks like he could maintain that throughout the season.

I just hope we're able to sign him long term next year, and that he doesn't hate us (a-la Ryan Kesler) when his long contract is done. but

As a side note, this trade has been paying dividends and Corey Schneider has looked average lately. Mike Gillis is looking better and better these days, which is crazy considering he wasn't very good.

3 minutes ago, Matt_T83 said:

This guy couldn't have any more class, and we probably don't deserve him on our team.

He's on one of the worst teams in the league, and was put on the 4th line to start the season, just to add insult to injury. Instead of rightfully complaining and falling into despair, which many players would do, he just focuses on playing his game and improving. He has now worked his way up to being our leading scorer, and looks like he could maintain that throughout the season.

I just hope we're able to sign him long term next year, and that he doesn't hate us (a-la Ryan Kesler) when his long contract is done. but

As a side note, this trade has been paying dividends and Corey Schneider has looked average lately. Mike Gillis is looking better and better these days, which is crazy considering he wasn't very good.

The goaltending situation ruined Gillis' reputation. Aside from that and some questionable drafts in the beginning  (albeit we were winning then) he was probably our best gm, or at least 2nd behind Quinn, of all time. Game 7 Stanley Cup final, two presidents trophies, gm of the year in 2011. Plus numerous players and coaches had great seasons under him, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Vigneault etc.

Now we see a lot of the players he left us flourishing. Definitely not perfect and had his blunders, but far from "not very good".

24 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

The goaltending situation ruined Gillis' reputation. Aside from that and some questionable drafts in the beginning  (albeit we were winning then) he was probably our best gm, or at least 2nd behind Quinn, of all time. Game 7 Stanley Cup final, two presidents trophies, gm of the year in 2011. Plus numerous players and coaches had great seasons under him, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Vigneault etc.

Now we see a lot of the players he left us flourishing. Definitely not perfect and had his blunders, but far from "not very good".

I'm relatively neutral on Gillis' overall performance here, but could you define a lot? Hutton and Tanev are the only 2 I'd say are flourishing. Labate and Gaunce are serviceable, and Rodin's contributions are of yet unknown. 

1 hour ago, Matt_T83 said:

and we probably don't deserve him on our team.

Yes we do.  For all the draft busts, moronic trades, and tragic circumstances you bet your sweet bippy we deserve Bo and more guys like him.  That's a dumb comment imo.  He has no right to be mad at this organization or to be a douche like Kesler.

If I'm being honest, to be impressed means he should be exceeding expectations, which he hasn't been, yet.

He is exactly what he was billed as during the draft.

As an aside, CS was an all-star game goalie and will likely stay there for the next decade. Will Horvat be an all-star? THAT, would impress me.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

I'm relatively neutral on Gillis' overall performance here, but could you define a lot? Hutton and Tanev are the only 2 I'd say are flourishing. Labate and Gaunce are serviceable, and Rodin's contributions are of yet unknown. 

Rodin is going to be very good, it's him that i'm really excited about. Tons of skill, skates really good and not afraid to go to the crease to get goals. 

I have adored Bo Horvat since the day I first saw him play which was in the 2013 OHL Eastern Conference final game 1. He shut down the leading scorer in the entire OHL(Vincent Trochek) with relative ease. During that run, he showed that he was a big game player and can do it all. When he was drafted by us, I had a smile on my face the entire day.

We are lucky to have him

10 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Rodin is going to be very good, it's him that i'm really excited about. Tons of skill, skates really good and not afraid to go to the crease to get goals. 

I recognize his potential too, but it has nothing to with 10pavel's claim that many from MG's tenure are performing highly right now. I wasn't trying to rip him though either, just wondered how he defined "a lot". That's all. If anything it's a rip on MG's biggest failing here - the inability to stock the cupboards, so to speak.

Just now, Green Building said:

Horvat is a beauty. Markstrom is a little better than serviceable but has yet to take over from Miller. My point is it's still not a lot any way you count it.

Ya. You're right about his biggest downfall being the lack of drafting in the early years but I mentioned that as well in my op.  It's just too bad we couldn't maintain that success from his early years, teams like Chicago St Louis San Jose etc have managed to stay atop the league. Mind you we had an old core to start. Meh

Archived