The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Ed Willes: Alex Burrows built his career on proving people wrong

poetica

1 hour ago, 6string said:

Nothing surprises me about Burrows accomplishments because he comes to work hard everyday, always grateful and unselfish too.

Playoff/Cup challenging clubs would be interested in him no doubt about it!

This exactly...Burr is helping us on the ice this year....but he could also help us by accepting a trade a the deadline to give us another pick...Id happily welcome management signing him back in July for another year. 

That's great and all, but, they could've sucked just as bad without him. Says a lot that some CDC'rs apparently see him as indispensable this year and hope to see him re-signed. Either it's a rebuild or it isn't, folks. A 35-year old forward resurgent in his walk year shouldn't be what excites the base. 

Thanks for the memories, Burr, but, hopefully he'll do the right thing and waive his NTC if AV/NYR come calling at the deadline. 

I have always loved Burr's game. He always plays with heart day in and day out. His hard work has been noticeable through his career so far and it can't be taught. He works as hard if not harder than the Sedins even. He bleeds the blue and green and I don't think he'd want to play for any other team in his career. It would be great to trade him to any contender who want that piece that can push them over the top and be a productive energy guy for them but knowing Benning he won't trade his pending FAs and let them walk which I am fine with but a team like us need assets especially more draft picks. Hope that Burr will finish his career as a Canuck and continues to play with fight, grit and energy. 

14 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Either it's a rebuild or it isn't, folks.

All depends on your definition of a rebuild. I don't see a rebuild as "trade everything older than 26 away, start from scratch". There will never be a time when we ice a roster with 20 bluechip prospects. We will always need warm bodies. It's not like moving Burrows will make way for a rightfully deserving prospect to take his place. More likely we will get a 3rd round pick which may or may not become an NHL player, meanwhile, we will replace him with another Archibald or Zalewski in the interim. Me, I'd rather have some experience while rebuilding (yes, you can have both) to at least show our youth coming up what it takes to play in the NHL over young fringe-NHLers.
Now, if a team wants to come in and overpay for Burrows or if Burrows requests a move, I'd be very interested. But I am not a fan of dumping Burrows to another team just because he is not a prospect. We still need to play 82 games a year.

3 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

All depends on your definition of a rebuild. I don't see a rebuild as "trade everything older than 26 away, start from scratch". There will never be a time when we ice a roster with 20 bluechip prospects. We will always need warm bodies. It's not like moving Burrows will make way for a rightfully deserving prospect to take his place. More likely we will get a 3rd round pick which may or may not become an NHL player, meanwhile, we will replace him with another Archibald or Zalewski in the interim. Me, I'd rather have some experience while rebuilding (yes, you can have both) to at least show our youth coming up what it takes to play in the NHL over young fringe-NHLers.
Now, if a team wants to come in and overpay for Burrows or if Burrows requests a move, I'd be very interested. But I am not a fan of dumping Burrows to another team just because he is not a prospect. We still need to play 82 games a year.

I think there comes a time when we need to cut the cord, and let the young guys sink or swim.  Love Burr, but we need to let's the kids have spots.  We have too many older players in our forwards.

Just now, Alflives said:

I think there comes a time when we need to cut the cord, and let the young guys sink or swim.  Love Burr, but we need to let's the kids have spots.  We have too many older players in our forwards.

I think that's great in theory, but we don't actually have the next wave of prospects currently. Who are these kids that you say should take his spot?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Labate for starters.  

Labate is also a fringe prospect. And if he comes in, it'll be in lieu of a Chaput/Megna/Skille first, none of who are real answers to anything moving forward. Outside of Virtanen, we are probably seeing the best of Utica already, and that's not saying a lot. 

Burrows is the heart and soul sort of player that teams stocking up for a cup run would love to acquire at the trade deadline.  

He just keeps giving - in this case he has ramped up his game and this should be leveraged on by management at the trade deadline.

All this talk about Benning not going to ask players to waive their NTC is political fluff.  He doesnt want to create a circus around the team at the trade deadline so he is sheltering the players with NTCs already. (my opinion)

Im sure Alex - who is in the final part of his career- would love a shot at the cup somewhere.  

47 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Labate is also a fringe prospect. And if he comes in, it'll be in lieu of a Chaput/Megna/Skille first, none of who are real answers to anything moving forward. Outside of Virtanen, we are probably seeing the best of Utica already, and that's not saying a lot. 

Good point Emily M.  I guess we are still a couple seasons away from seeing real change (with JB's picks) in our forwards.

Just now, Alflives said:

Good point Emily M.  I guess we are still a couple seasons away from seeing real change (with JB's picks) in our forwards.

Whatever the case may be, I think we are all in agreement that there is a lot of work to be done and I totally understand the desire to see change.

Just now, EmilyM said:

Whatever the case may be, I think we are all in agreement that there is a lot of work to be done and I totally understand the desire to see change.

Yes, I'm really excited about the future of our D.  Looking forward to JB now focussing on his forward group.

Burrows has really been great for Baertschi-Horvat.  He had no points before joining that line, Baertschi only had 2pts.  They have been the most productive line over the stretch since the NYR game.

Over that stretch (8Nov to now) - Horvat has 15pts in 19 games, Burrows 14pts in 19 games and Baer has 14pts in 16 games.  

Henrik has 14pts, Daniel 15pts and Sutter 12pts.  

Eriksson 10pts and Granlund 9pts.

Henrik and Daniel each have 5 of their points off the PP while the BBB line have most of their points at 5v5. 

They are also right up there in points by minutes played over the season despite their slow start (ie Burrows and Baer).  Hopefully the last 20 games are more reflective of where Baer and Horvat's production is at and Burrows can keep on helping them take the next step. 

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Burrows has really been great for Baertschi-Horvat.  He had no points before joining that line, Baertschi only had 2pts.  They have been the most productive line over the stretch since the NYR game.

Over that stretch (8Nov to now) - Horvat has 15pts in 19 games, Burrows 14pts in 19 games and Baer has 14pts in 16 games.  

Henrik and Daniel each have 5 of their points off the PP while the BBB line have most of their points at 5v5. 

They are also right up there in points by minutes played over the season despite their slow start (ie Burrows and Baer).  Hopefully the last 20 games are more reflective of where Baer and Horvat's production is at and Burrows can keep on helping them take the next step. 

Good stats..thanks for that.

Hansen returning too. If the top-2 lines get rolling, the 3rd line might also start firing numbers, with all the resultant soft match-ups.

Granny - Sutter - Eriksson

Then we've got Rodin arriving, to slot in somewhere (?)

IF they all stay healthy, may's well send Gaunce down to get some big mins.

oops, just remembered..Burrows thread!

25 minutes ago, mll said:

This is why Burrows should be considered a fixture here, not trade bait. Yes I know he is a UFA at season's end. But with the way he has meshed with Horvat and Baertschi, giving us a viable 2nd line (finally!) why trade him. There is nobody in Utica to replace him with; that includes Virtanen. This may be a bit blasphemous, but...I'm not sure I would value one of the Twins over Burrows right now. Today's game is so predicated on speech, and no one has ever accused Hank or Danny of having great speed. And now that they have apparently lost another step, even with their skill, 3rd liners are starting to be able to keep up with them.

The only reason to trade him would be to admit a full rebuild, and be willing to pay the consequences; ie an empty house, reduced revenue, etc...Yeah, that happens alright, if someone holds a gun to Benning's head.

6 hours ago, EmilyM said:

I'm not trying to be smart by suggesting to read the article?  Because you are basically correct.  Labate is a fringe prospect?

He is, however, a lot like Burrows. Who, un-drafted, and discovered playing for the ECHL East Carolina Swamp Rats, or whatever they were called, was even more so a fringe prospect. Labate is playing in the AHL, and when he was called up here, last year in college, with the same type of zeal and heart as Burr showed. Taking on all comers, even when he gets beat up. Still hitting the big guys the very next time over the boards with no fear.. Pushing the envelope as to what is clean on the fore check. Driving the net and taking shots when an ECHL guy, ahem AHL, guy has no business doing so. Arriving at the bench after every shift heaving; and gasping for breath, then flying out over the boards 20 seconds later to chase down someone else with the puck.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Labate might just be the actual closest thing, in a prospect, as we have to Burr. Commenting from your earlier post.  

I am so heavily cheering for Labate.  Him and Stecher represent the arrow we have with #14. 

Yes, Burrows has found new life this season.  If anyone cares to look back at my older posts, I had commented that while I did think he would be on our 4th line, I also thought he still had the ability to contribute and did not feel we should buy him out.  And he has indeed contributed in spades this season.  Awesome to see considering his prior couple of years.

Now with that said, I don't think he would get much in the way of a trade.  He has been too inconsistent over the twilight of his career, and he still commands a rather hefty salary.  I think that, like the Sedins, we owe it to him just to let him finish his contract here.  If nothing else, he helps our 2nd line right now and he is also a great mentor to our young guys. 

I would be absolutely fine with re-signing him on a year-to-year basis until he just isn't contributing anymore.  I am sure that he appreciates the fact that we didn't buy him out or get rid of him, and would probably be willing to sign for peanuts.

Bottom line: He should and probably will finish his career as a Canuck.  They way it should be.

Archived