The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

I remember hating our group of forward prospects. No size or grit whatsoever. Skilled guys but Hodgson was the only blue chip talent.

1. Hodgson

2. Schroeder

3. Grabner

4. White

5. Rodin

VS

1. Bo Horvat

2. Nicklas Jensen

3. Brendan Gaunce

4. Hunter Shinkaruk

5. Alexandre Grenier

6. Dane Fox

7. Cole Cassels

Good mix of size, grit and skill!

Seems like a very interesting prospect.

Our top forward prospects now look like:

1. Hodgson

2. Schroeder

3. Grabner

4. White

5. Rodin

mmm...not bad at all. I'm really surprised how much one deep draft can replenish our prospect pool.

In retrospect...that is a fugly prospect pool, kind of sad how we pissed away so many draft years.

1. Hodgson: Can't argue he wasn't a top prospect, and at the least will be a solid point contributing 2nd line NHL center.

2. Schroeder: I think everyone is a bit dissapointed he hasn't taken the next step in his career, hasn't helped he's just had a heaping pile of injuries recently. No doubt he can play in the NHL, but will he ever be an impact player, hard to say at this point.

3. Grabner: Total speed demon...who can disappear for large stretches of the season, whatever the case, Grabner and a 1st for Ballard is just bad.

4. White: Lmao, well, at least we parlayed him, somehow, someway, into that Erhoff deal...ugh, pretty sure entire Canuck nation let out a "WTF!?" when Nonis drafted him.

5. Rodin: I was super psyched for this kid, had sweet soft hands, could stick handle in a phone booth, I still hope the Canucks take one more shot at him, but I don't think they will.

Well, we can say one thing for sure, if our recent prospect pool turns out as badly as our last batch did, yiiiikes.

Edited by Glory_Days

• 1 year later...

do we still own his rights? Could he possible come over after the playoffs this year to help utica in their run? Especially if Baertschis stays with the big club, rodin could be a decent replacement.

Rodin in the AHL last time was different then if he came now. He is older, more mature. The team now has their own AHL club they own and has a terrific team that is well coached. He could fit in well with the system they play.

Wonder if we hold his rights still or if he would be interested in a return to north america

i think we still own his rights until the end of the season, or was it last season, but either way we'd have to sign him to a contract to bring him over, and he would not qualify for the comets playoffs because he wasn't on their clear day roster. it would just be for the remainder of the comet's season... and considering they just clinched their division, they have no reason to need him right now.

Edited by avelanch

ahh i see. Wonder if Benning has any interest in maybe trying to bring him back over. Hes at that right age, and would be given a proper role this time around in the ahl. With the potential for a call up next year. Hopefully we dont lose Green as our coach but have to think he could be a goner at seasons end if we have a long run

Either way, I wouldnt mind giving Rodin another chance under this new revamped management and our own ahl team to handle him properly

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread again.

Rodin's name came up during a conversation on another board and I was curious to gauge what the temperature would be on CDC on possibly bringing him back with the Canucks?

Due to the former regime's decision to qualify Rodin before he left for Sweden, I believe Vancouver continues to hold his NHL rights, should he decide to return.

And while it certainly appears that Rodin has settled in nicely in the SHL, he's also a guy who had strong NHL ambitions and who, when signed to Brynas, was described by then-GM Michael Sundlov as taking a new path where "hopefully we will be able to contribute to that he continues to develop, so that he can then make the jump to the NHL" (http://thecanuckway.com/2013/05/28/canucks-restricted-free-agent-anton-rodin-signs-in-sweden/).

Rodin put-up close to 0.75 points/game last season with Brynas and he's now been named their captain and has started the season with 2 goals and 2 assists in his first 2 games.

He's still probably a bit slight of build for the NA pro game but he has grown to 6'1" and 185 lbs (based on the most recent stats I could find) since we last saw him over here.

If Rodin finishes the 2015-16 SHL season among the league's scoring leaders, should the Canucks at least try to gauge his interest in possibly returning to North America, and maybe try and get him over here for next year's camp?

I remember being very impressed by Gillis early in his tenure when he decided to pursue Shirokov and try to convince him to come over from Russia. Especially after the previous regime had all but declared him a lost asset. It would be nice to see Benning show a similar willingness to turn over every stone in investigating possibilities for squeezing player value out of his team's reserves list.

Sure Shirokov didn't pan out for the team as well as Gillis hoped. And maybe Rodin won't do much better for Benning. But as they say, nothing ventured nothing gained, and IMO it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to take another look at Rodin.

I'm curious how others feel about this?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

So he's still under our rights, and if Benning approaches him with a contract and he signs, he can come back?

Benning, go ahead and sign his butt please.

Edited by TheOddCanuckling

We already have Shinkaruk and Baertchi among others, we don't need Rodin.

If he is NHL ready, why wouldn't the team bring him over and give him a try? He is an asset if he can play the NHL game. Whether or not he 'fits' with the Canucks, he can still be useful in a trade to another team.

• Upvote 1