The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

Here we go, I wondered how long it would be before this came up. The knight in shining armour ready to save the franchise. He's a skill guy that likes the space offered on the big ice. He tried for 2 years in the AHL....not the NHL...to adapt and failed miserably to adjust to the NA game. I believe we still hold his rights. Give me a call in a couple of years when he's put on 15lbs and can still skate. Jensen put up numbers in the SEL as well so far it aian't showing in Utica. A different game but the same name

• Upvote 2

Here we go, I wondered how long it would be before this came up. The knight in shining armour ready to save the franchise. He's a skill guy that likes the space offered on the big ice. He tried for 2 years in the AHL....not the NHL...to adapt and failed miserably to adjust to the NA game. I believe we still hold his rights. Give me a call in a couple of years when he's put on 15lbs and can still skate. Jensen put up numbers in the SEL as well so far it aian't showing in Utica. A different game but the same name

I think your attitude's the problem, not the people getting excited about Rodin's improvement. Just because a prospect's doing well doesn't mean he has to be some "knight in shining armour ready to save the franchise". With the way he's played this season, it's worth looking into signing him again in the future and giving him a chance to simply play here, not to magically save the team or anything.

Well since he seems to be playing better elsewhere injury free and we wasted a 2nd rounder on him and we retain his rights, why not try to salvage as much value out of him as possible?

Those are extremely impressive numbers at the SEL level, at ANY age. A point per game at the SEL level is not easy bro. Don't forget he's also only 23 and with stats like that, Mike Gillis will no doubt give him another try at the North American game, or at least I think he deserves it, if he finishes the entire season at an average of one point per game.

• 2 weeks later...

It might take a pretty big contract to get him over though. He rejected the qualifying offer to move home to SHL this season. A good SHL contact usually paid more than an AHL wage.

I really hope he hasnt given up on NA or the Canucks.

Yep +1

Once bitten twice shy. Players have a limited shelf life and to ask Rodin to give up yet another year of decent salary he's being paid in the SEL to take a pittance in the AHL is a stretch

Injuries have hampered his development. Finally this year he is healthy and starting to develop again. If he can stay healthy maybe he can evolve into the player the Canucks hoped he would become when they drafted him.

Edited by pomorick

Can you imagine if he came over next year and had an impact. Would be craaaazy. If he maintains a point per game at the SHL maybe he would consider coming over to Utica after his SHL season is done.

Anyone know if that's even possible? I think he would be able to play for the Comets??

Can you imagine if he came over next year and had an impact. Would be craaaazy. If he maintains a point per game at the SHL maybe he would consider coming over to Utica after his SHL season is done.

Anyone know if that's even possible? I think he would be able to play for the Comets??

He signed a two-year deal, so I don't think so - I'm not expert on SEL transfers/contract stuff though. Maybe after next season, who knows. In all likelihood it'll never happen but the Canucks would do well to at least inquire with the stats he's putting up.

Glad to see him doing so well. Yes, he was injured a lot of the time at Chicago but it still speaks poorly of the AHL that it destroys the offensive potential of so many players.

Perhaps more of a comment on the quality of play in the SEL. AHL is way ahead of the SEL in quality.