The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

When Linden was on the radio he had said something like 4-6 weeks, and possible he may return for playoffs? Has that changed in the last hr or so, or maybe he didnt get the latest update?>

Too bad they were going their soon to scout him too apparently, still sound like Canucks have interest in him and he has interest in the NHL, could still come over for next year, hopefully rehab goes well and he is 100%

Bieksa said it took about over 1 year before it finally gets back to normal.  Chances are this might derail any hope of Rodin returning back to North American hockey.

If he's out this year and will be mediocre next season (getting back into shape), he'll be 27-28 before playing at a high level again.  I don't know too many teams willing to bring over someone who is in their late 20's into their NHL fold. 

30 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Bieksa said it took about over 1 year before it finally gets back to normal.  Chances are this might derail any hope of Rodin returning back to North American hockey.

If he's out this year and will be mediocre next season (getting back into shape), he'll be 27-28 before playing at a high level again.  I don't know too many teams willing to bring over someone who is in their late 20's into their NHL fold. 

only recent guy I can think coming over for the first time and being somewhat successful is Lehtera in St.Louis

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

When Linden was on the radio he had said something like 4-6 weeks, and possible he may return for playoffs? Has that changed in the last hr or so, or maybe he didnt get the latest update?>

Too bad they were going their soon to scout him too apparently, still sound like Canucks have interest in him and he has interest in the NHL, could still come over for next year, hopefully rehab goes well and he is 100%

The CA article was a guess at a recovery time, and certainly it'll be most of the year. Linden doesn't have the full report yet either but would have a little more info and seems to think it might be shorter. Could be, but with getting back to game shape it might still be. Next year is certainly going to be the case as far as North America though I think.

58 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Bieksa's injury was a significant cut to the muscle though I think, where this is a partial cut to a tendon. I'm no expert, but I'd think that would make repair via surgery easier and allow Rodin a shorter recovery time than Bieksa's.

And we have seen some examples of players later in their 20's being sought after and coming over. Maybe it does reduce his chances if he waits much longer, but it's not unheard of.

1 hour ago, MedicineHatCanuck said:

Soderberg, Panarin, Hiller

ya 2 of those guys came here around 27ish panarin is a few years younger. I guess Medvedev is over 30 and this is his first year i think?

Hope for a speedy recovery with no real affects to his game.

Why are we suddenly excited about a player who is leading a league in scoring where ex-nhler  Jeff Taffe and his 46 pts in 180 nhl games was second in scoring last year?  And where Bill Sweatt who never made our team and was an average player in our farm was a top 10 leading scorer in that same league.

You guys need to get some perspective here lol

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Why are we suddenly excited about a player who is leading a league in scoring where ex-nhler  Jeff Taffe and his 46 pts in 180 nhl games was second in scoring last year?  And where Bill Sweatt who never made our team and was an average player in our farm was a top 10 leading scorer in that same league.

Exactly! First of all Linden should send some of those Kevlar socks over to Sweden. The SEL is not even up to AHL quality IMHO. Hopefully Benning can talk this kid up like Brunstrom(?) and then flip him for a NA skater or pick.  

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

I think the hope is we can find magic in a bottle like Chicago did with Panarin, obvioulsy he is playing with an elite player so his points are insane. Soderberg was a nice fit since he came over. If we can gain a player to help our club thats the hope.

He isn't a past nhl'er who has gone to europe and done well like the players you mentioned, who when here couldn't earn a job. The hope is that if he came over that he could become a serviceable nhl player and help our team. Some who come over make that happen, others go back quite quickly, don't know if you don't try

39 minutes ago, Yotes said:

I think the hope is we can find magic in a bottle like Chicago did with Panarin, obvioulsy he is playing with an elite player so his points are insane. Soderberg was a nice fit since he came over. If we can gain a player to help our club thats the hope.

He isn't a past nhl'er who has gone to europe and done well like the players you mentioned, who when here couldn't earn a job. The hope is that if he came over that he could become a serviceable nhl player and help our team. Some who come over make that happen, others go back quite quickly, don't know if you don't try

difference is Panarin was in the KHL, with the Kovalchuk, Radulov, etc.  Not only does Panarin is playing with an Elite player, he's playing with an Elite player in a career year lol.

When I see CDC pegging Rodin in our top 6 already, that wishful thinking.  The reality is, Rodin, should go back to the AHL and if he can put up the same numbers as he does in the SHL, then he can earn a shot at a top 6 role with the big club.  However, the truth is Canucks won't convince him to come here to play in the AHL.

To me Rodin would only take a spot/icetime from Virtanen, Etem, Shinkaruk, McCann.  I'd rather he stays in Sweden or prove his worth in the AHL, otherwise I'd be happy if another team scouted him in Sweden and want to take a gamble on him for a pick.

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 10:06 AM, timberz21 said:

difference is Panarin was in the KHL, with the Kovalchuk, Radulov, etc.  Not only does Panarin is playing with an Elite player, he's playing with an Elite player in a career year lol.

When I see CDC pegging Rodin in our top 6 already, that wishful thinking.  The reality is, Rodin, should go back to the AHL and if he can put up the same numbers as he does in the SHL, then he can earn a shot at a top 6 role with the big club.  However, the truth is Canucks won't convince him to come here to play in the AHL.

To me Rodin would only take a spot/icetime from Virtanen, Etem, Shinkaruk, McCann.  I'd rather he stays in Sweden or prove his worth in the AHL, otherwise I'd be happy if another team scouted him in Sweden and want to take a gamble on him for a pick.

As soon as his SEL ate elimanated from play-offs get him a ticket to Utica and see what he can do....then judge him.... There's a lot of league scouts would be willing to watch him play for Uticas...they have the same questions as JB has

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, elvis15 said:

^ This assumes he'll be healthy enough/recovered fully to perform to his full potential in Utica. We'll see where his rehab gets him, but he won't have much time to showcase anything if he does get to play.

has their been any update on his injury? Linden mention 4-6 weeks, but from the sounds of the type of injury it could easily take longer, especially to full recover.

Also, when does his season end compared to Utica? Could we bring him over for Utica playoffs if he is healthy or does he need to be signed first?