The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Golden helmet, adult only award. Helmet and head are other names for.. Certain body parts in the male physiology. I'm going to leave it at that. 

Oh... ok then... Not exactly a good one even with the explanation but ok. As a man who makes many bad jokes on a daily, if not hourly basis, i'll take it.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

So how much credit does Rodin get for being the MVP of the Swedish elite league ?

I know Rodin is older but didn't Matthews get a ton of credit for bring good in the Swiss league ?

How does the Swiss league compare to the Swede league ?

Swedish league is better.

11 hours ago, LolClarkson said:

So how much credit does Rodin get for being the MVP of the Swedish elite league ?

I know Rodin is older but didn't Matthews get a ton of credit for bring good in the Swiss league ?

How does the Swiss league compare to the Swede league ?

As noted, the Swedish league is better, but Matthews did what he did as a first year pro and 18 year old. It's not comparable to Rodin earning MVP honours at 25 after having played several pro years in Sweden as well as two pro AHL years in North America.

And that's not to diminish Rodin's accomplishment - I hope he does well here and shows he can be a top offensive player.

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

As noted, the Swedish league is better, but Matthews did what he did as a first year pro and 18 year old. It's not comparable to Rodin earning MVP honours at 25 after having played several pro years in Sweden as well as two pro AHL years in North America.

And that's not to diminish Rodin's accomplishment - I hope he does well here and shows he can be a top offensive player.

Apart from any thing else Rodin is the "X" factor for next September. Can he fill a spot in the top 9 or better still the top 6. JB only gave him a 1 year deal so it sounds like he's not exactly sold on him. It would simplify the draft for the first round pick if we new we had a gem in Rodin on wing

8 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Did we own his rights the whole time ? 

If not, where other teams interested in him ?

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Apart from any thing else Rodin is the "X" factor for next September. Can he fill a spot in the top 9 or better still the top 6. JB only gave him a 1 year deal so it sounds like he's not exactly sold on him. It would simplify the draft for the first round pick if we new we had a gem in Rodin on wing

I think the one year deal functions two ways. It gives the team flexibility in terms of cap, and it enables them to see what Rodin's capable of.

If he can't hack it at this point, he's unlikely to ever make it, so this is a great way to frame his (potential) breakout year.

Just now, NameFaker said:

I think the one year deal functions two ways. It gives the team flexibility in terms of cap, and it enables them to see what Rodin's capable of.

If he can't hack it at this point, he's unlikely to ever make it, so this is a great way to frame his (potential) breakout year.

True, but it also reflects on how JB sees Rodin..... he's not sure what he has. It's not as though JB is thinking Wow lets tie this guy on a good deal fro mulitible years

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Why not? This is an org that has Baer penciled in to a 2LW. Baer has more cred than Rodin but both these players have much to prove. Baer certainly has not proven that he is a NHL top 6 player no matter how much fans want him to succeed.  

Just now, Fred65 said:

True, but it also reflects on how JB sees Rodin..... he's not sure what he has. It's not as though JB is thinking Wow lets tie this guy on a good deal fro mulitible years

Does that ever happen? 

It seems like a dumb bet if anyone's ever made it. Sure, it might pay off like one in a hundred times, but this is reasonable asset management. I'm completely cool with this method, and I don't think the implication is that Benning doesn't value Rodin. That's never seemed to be the case when he's spoken of him...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

No GM who wants to keep their job is going to give a large, multi year deal to a 'what if'....

You've got to prove yourself, IN the NHL to get a big contract.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No GM who wants to keep their job is going to give a large, multi year deal to a 'what if'....

You've got to prove yourself, IN the NHL to get a big contract.

Exactly Rodin is slot not a "given" he hasn't shown enough so MVP in the SEL has been basically discounted. I think JB was late in getting over to see him before he was injured ...likely Lindgren scouted him. If howeve on the other hand Rodin was a stand out the effect would certainly translate into a different view come the draft ....in that case we would deffinitley be looking for a centre

20 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

its a 1 way contract so... yeah. Its a spot

One way contracts do not guarantee players a spot on the team, it just guarantees they will receive full contact value. There is no difference in pay between HNL or AHL. Example would be Kenins, he was on a 1 way contract this past year, however did poor in pre season and did not make the team, only ended up playing 6 NHL games as an injury fill in. 

• Upvote 1