The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

5 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

This one. Last time he was playing in the AHL he had major shoulder problems and never got going.

Ya it's not good when you try and play what 6 months from the injury and still re-aggravate it. I guess the only silver lining is if he plays minimally this year and is recovering it is less likely he would get picked up in the expansion draft if he is left exposed.

Re expansion - he is a UFA at the end of the season unless he plays 80 NHL games this season.  Same situation as Kenins.  

At age 25 any player with 3 years of pro-experience under an NHL contract (this is his 3rd year) become UFA if they have not played 80 NHL games.

Edited by mll

3 hours ago, mll said:

Re expansion - he is a UFA at the end of the season unless he plays 80 NHL games this season.  Same situation as Kenins.  

At age 25 any player with 3 years of pro-experience under an NHL contract (this is his 3rd year) become UFA if they have not played 80 NHL games.

He will be over 25, with barely 3 years as a pro, counting injury time and will likely have less than 80 games under his belt.  If he works hard this year and has an impact, he could have a nice payday coming up.

24 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Any word yet on a return date? I hate having this guy on the shelf. With JB looking to push the panic button (which I think is a mistake), it seem imparative we find out what we have in this guy. 

I miss something?

7 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

It s been rumored JB is definitely now looking for a top six winger. Just saying a move of any kind seems rash at this point, given there are still unanswered questions in our current lineup. 

He's been looking for that since like last spring. We have an ever increasing logjam on D and a lack of quality forward prospects. That is not 'rash'.

• Upvote 1

I'll admit, I really didn't think Rodin was gonna do anything in Vancouver but fizzle and go back to Sweden(he still might),

but after his preseason, I'm more optimistic he can make an impact. 

With the news of JB searching for a top 6 scorer, I hope Rodin can come back soon and atleast get a fair shot to be that guy. 

So early in the season, why start making trades when you don't even know what you have yet?

do we have anupdated timeline for his return yet?

Just now, The 5th Line said:

He wasn't even that good in pre-season.  He put up some points but he didn't push the play, he's small and soft and he didn't look dangerous other than a few chances in close.  Maybe JB does know what he has(somebody who won't provide much).  

People around here say that somebody like Nylander wouldn't produce in the west but our boy Anttooonnnn Roodddinnn is here to rescue us from our scoring problems.  I highly doubt he finishes the season as a Canuck.  

Rodin is like you say.  Plus he's 26.  He is what he is.  Nylander looks okay.  Rookie of the month too.  I don't see Rodin helping us, because we already have him in Baer and Granlund, don't we?

He wasn't even that good in pre-season.  He put up some points but he didn't push the play, he's small and soft and he didn't look dangerous other than a few chances in close.  Maybe JB does know what he has(somebody who won't provide much).  

People around here say that somebody like Nylander wouldn't produce in the west but our boy Anttooonnnn Roodddinnn is here to rescue us from our scoring problems.  I highly doubt he finishes the season as a Canuck.  

I agree with most of your post, and before the preseason, I would have said the same thing. 

But we are lacking his skill set. 

He did light up the SEL.   

We really can't score goals, and he has proven he can.     

Taking off our negative pants,  he actually did have a decent preseason and showed some good offensive flashes. 

He isn't going to be our saviour, but he can help.  

15 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I think the preseason showed us Rödin's finishing ability and his knack for finding space and open looks.

But he didn't have any power or explosiveness in his legs and probably the injury was holding back his ability to drive play with his skating. Hopefully once he's truly 100%, we'll see a more dynamic player and not just a guy who can snipe goals but is overly reliant on his teammates to create possession and chances.

50 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He admitted to being at around 80% health during the pre-season and he made the team by putting himself "in close" as you put it. It's the reason he has improved every year since he left North America and the reason why he will be an impact player on this team when he returns. You sure do love Willie Nylander don't you. He's playing with Auston Matthews and getting top powerplay minutes, there is no young player on our team getting his minutes and opportunities, so it's impossible to compare him to anyone on the Canucks.

Who is the last player 25 years old or older to come to the NHL after "lighting up the SEL" and continue to have a successful NHL career?  

If Rodin slotting in means that Virtanen get's sent down then I am all for it.  I can't stand to watch that train wreck much longer.  

I didn't say he would be successful. 

I said I hope he is.  

Hahah.  I make a negative post and people like it.  

I try to be positive about a prospect, and all the complainers come out.  

CDC.  What a place

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Why are you being positive/negative on purpose?  Just speak your mind, tell us how you really feel.

Not flip flopping between the 2.  I'm more positive and optimistic to some players, and not so much to others. 

In the Subban thread, people think I'm a dick.  

People always say I am negative but it's not exactly true, I'm just being honest.  Is my negativity completely uncalled for?  I don't think it is, seeing as how we are the lowest scoring team in the league and are quickly becoming a laughing stock

From what I've seen from you over time, you are absolutely negative.

You may think you are being honest, and in your head you are.

But you are negative for sure.  

Just be you, man.  Just be you.  

I'm the only person I know how to be.  

I've been negative the last two years about the Nylander vs Virtanen draft scenario and oh look, Nylander looks like a star and Virtanen looks like an oaf.

Two totally different kinda players. 

Time will tell with jake, but yeah, Nylander is looking like the real deal. 

I was negative about signing Loui over Milan and oh look, Loui is useless and Lucic is a beast in Edmonton.

Both would be disaster for Vancouver for anything more than 2 years.  

I didn't like the Loui signing at first, I really don't like it now. 

The list goes on and on.  I should be a part of the Canucks management, I would turn this ship around and have a cup in Vancouver within 5 years.  Easy

Just no.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Who is the last player 25 years old or older to come to the NHL after "lighting up the SEL" and continue to have a successful NHL career?  

If Rodin slotting in means that Virtanen get's sent down then I am all for it.  I can't stand to watch that train wreck much longer.  

Panarin would likely be the closest parallel to your parameters there. Though I think he was 24 and came to a much better Blackhwaks team and came from the KHL, not SEL. 

But he'd be the high, HIGH watermark of what any of us could even possibly hope for. Even if Rodin's only ~1/2 as good, you call that a win IMO. But there's still plenty of chance he amounts to little/nothing as an NHL'er.

He really couldn't be more of a wildcard.

19 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Carl Soderberg? He was 27 when he came over after lighting up the SHL and seems to be having a pretty successful NHL career so far.

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Not a direct comparison obviously, they are two different players but Pierre did score 20 goals in the SHL

Pierre-Edouard Bellemare
Left Wing
Born Mar 6 1985  -- Le Blanc-Mesnil, France 
Height 6.00 -- Weight 198 -- Shoots L

003-04  Rouen                       Franc  --   --   --   --   --   4   1   1   2   4
2004-05  Rouen                       Franc  --   --   --   --   --  12   7   5  12   6
2006-07  Leksands IF                 Swe-1  44    8   11   19   24
2007-08  Leksands IF                 Swe-1  40   14   15   29   12
2008-09  Leksands IF                 Swe-1  41   31   18   49  113
2009-10  Skelleftea AIK              SEL    49    9    5   14   16  12   2   7   9   8
2010-11  Skelleftea AIK              SEL    53   10    8   18   20  16   1   4   5   0
2011-12  Skelleftea AIK              SEL    55   19   17   36   40
2012-13  Skelleftea AIK              SEL    29    6   16   22   47   9   0   1   1   2
2013-14  Skelleftea AIK              SweHL  52   20   15   35   32  14   9   5  14   6
2014-15  Philadelphia Flyers         NHL    81    6    6   12   18  --  --  --  --  --
2015-16  Philadelphia Flyers         NHL    74    7    7   14   27   5   0   1   1  15
2016-17  Philadelphia Flyers         NHL    11    0    2    2    0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         NHL Totals                        166   13   15   28   45   5   0   1   1  15

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=78373

But he's French.... :unsure:

:lol: