The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

I bet you Rodin is game ready but Benning doesn't want to play him until there are only 39 games left in the season. Why? On that 40th game played, he becomes expansion draft-able and we would have to protect him.

BOOOM

EVERYTHING I JUST SAID IS ALL A LIE!!!

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I bet you Rodin is game ready but Benning doesn't want to play him until there are only 39 games left in the season. Why? On that 40th game played, he becomes expansion draft-able and we would have to protect him.

BOOOM

But, he becomes a UFA at the end of this season anyways because he hasn't played 80 games (iirc).

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm fairly certain the 40 games is only important as the Canucks HAVE to expose a forward with a certain amount of NHL experience.  Vegas can select whoever they want that isn't protected or exempt.  It's safe to assume anyone on that CapFriendly list either has to be protected or will be available in the expansion draft.

i fixed mine

20 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Rodin was never likely going to be a long term fit here anyways.

With Eriksson and Hansen already here and Virtanen and Boeser coming in the next couple seasons, I don't see a scenario where he's here past next season anyways. What I'm hoping for is that he can boost his value for the second half of the season and maybe fetch us a prospect in return.

I see no reason that Rodin wouldn't be part of the team moving forward if he can come in and contribute without being a defensive liability.

I think he has a chance to displace Hansen, Baertchi, Granlund, and even Eriksson if he clicks.

This is a results based business, and if he is getting the results, then he's should stick.

I can't see Eriksson playing all 6 years here, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hansen moved at some point.

If Rodin is the one to go, it's because he was out played.  I would bet on Hansen being the trade bait though.

Hansen is the type of guy that a playoff team needs to finish off their bottom 6.  I'm not sure Rodin is that guy.

Time will tell.

• Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:43 PM, Wilbur said:

I'm fairly certain the 40 games is only important as the Canucks HAVE to expose a forward with a certain amount of NHL experience.  Vegas can select whoever they want that isn't protected or exempt.  It's safe to assume anyone on that CapFriendly list either has to be protected or will be available in the expansion draft.

40/70 is because they are required to expose "veterans" to let Vegas pick from, 2 forwards and 1 defense I believe, so that they can start with a "competitive" team 

AHL is considered pro-league, so it counts towards draft eligibility. 

I'm actually not sure about European leagues though.

Found this tidbit TheHockeyWriters:

• Unsigned draft picks, think college or European players mostly, are exempt from the expansion draft for two years from their draft year but no longer in Year 3, so teams will have to either rush to sign those guys or simply expose them in the expansion draft.

Do any teams have unsigned picks currently eligible with this rule? Maybe teams would purposely have a prospect available to deter Las Vegas from their NHL roster player and to this prospect instead. I assume the biggest chance would be with a college player.

On 2016-12-06 at 9:57 AM, WiDeN said:

I see no reason that Rodin wouldn't be part of the team moving forward if he can come in and contribute without being a defensive liability.

I think he has a chance to displace Hansen, Baertchi, Granlund, and even Eriksson if he clicks.

This is a results based business, and if he is getting the results, then he's should stick.

I can't see Eriksson playing all 6 years here, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hansen moved at some point.

If Rodin is the one to go, it's because he was out played.  I would bet on Hansen being the trade bait though.

Hansen is the type of guy that a playoff team needs to finish off their bottom 6.  I'm not sure Rodin is that guy.

Time will tell.

Totally disagree.  

Hansen has a work ethic that teams and coaches dream about.  

You never get rid of someone like that.   

He is exactly the player you want around your young players in a rebuild. 

• Upvote 3

I wasn't advocating for Hansen to be the one moved, but more so making an observation of who would be in demand and net a return at the deadline.  

I don't see many teams missing a Granlund or a Baertchi.

Besides, Hansen isn't the guy who would lose a spot if Rodin played well.  As you say, he's our hardest worker, and scores.

I love Hansen, but if he got us a sweet prospect or a good pick at the deadline, then I'd say it might be worth it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, WiDeN said:

I wasn't advocating for Hansen to be the one moved, but more so making an observation of who would be in demand and net a return at the deadline.  

I don't see many teams missing a Granlund or a Baertchi.

Besides, Hansen isn't the guy who would lose a spot if Rodin played well.  As you say, he's our hardest worker, and scores.

I love Hansen, but if he got us a sweet prospect or a good pick at the deadline, then I'd say it might be worth it.

Hansen is the forward vet I would keep above all others. As you suggested his work ethic is second to none. His age also helps. Twins, Burrows, Dorsett gone in 2 years and Hansen and Ericksson are the forward vets who guide the kids through to contention.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hansen is the forward vet I would keep above all others. As you suggested his work ethic is second to none. His age also helps. Twins, Burrows, Dorsett gone in 2 years and Hansen and Ericksson are the forward vets who guide the kids through to contention.

Bo is a vet now too, who leads.

• Upvote 2

jagr has the best work ethic in nhl since his rookie yr  guy used to work a hr after practise on his shot and skating and running stairs the guys a machine.  Rodin will be great for this team once hes back   we are gonna be more offensive and go on a run  when we get healthy this team isnt a contender but its much better than 28 th overall.   if we unload vets at deadline i can see younger team finishing between 16th-24th overall  regardless we will get another decent prospect

Next yr hopefully  this is our lineup

baertchi horvat boeser 

sedin sutter eriksson

rodin sedin virtanen

burrows gaunce granlund

edler guddy 

juolevi stecher 

hutton tryamkin 

pedan

markstrom

demko

trade tanev, hansen, miller, sbisa, burrows at deadline for max value frees 21 mill in cap plenty of cap to sign guddy, tryamkin, horvat, rodin. if we get a sniper for tanev and some decent draft picks for the other vets  our young core will be even better.

dorsett neck surgery  could be career ending you never know    

biega, dorsett, sbisa are expansion bait if benning doesnt trade sbisa before losing him.

id be open to resigning burrows next yr at a cheap 1 mill contract if he wants to help mentor youth 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, canuktravella said:

jagr has the best work ethic in nhl since his rookie yr  guy used to work a hr after practise on his shot and skating and running stairs the guys a machine.  Rodin will be great for this team once hes back   we are gonna be more offensive and go on a run  when we get healthy this team isnt a contender but its much better than 28 th overall.   if we unload vets at deadline i can see younger team finishing between 16th-24th overall  regardless we will get another decent prospect

Next yr hopefully  this is our lineup

baertchi horvat boeser 

sedin sutter eriksson

rodin sedin virtanen

burrows gaunce granlund

edler guddy 

juolevi stecher 

hutton tryamkin 

pedan

markstrom

demko

trade tanev, hansen, miller, sbisa, burrows at deadline for max value frees 21 mill in cap plenty of cap to sign guddy, tryamkin, horvat, rodin. if we get a sniper for tanev and some decent draft picks for the other vets  our young core will be even better.

dorsett neck surgery  could be career ending you never know    

biega, dorsett, sbisa are expansion bait if benning doesnt trade sbisa before losing him.

id be open to resigning burrows next yr at a cheap 1 mill contract if he wants to help mentor youth 

Wow! Bang on. I agree with your lineup except no Hansen and no Sbisa. I think they stick and I doubt Joulevi does. There is no hurry on Joulevi. I agree that moving Tanev makes sense if the return is adequate. I suspect player movement will be muted in light of the Vegas expansion. Once the draft is done we might see greater and bigger deals. Our biggest dif is about the d-core so my take is;

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Sbisa

Saying this I have been so impressed with Tryamkin that he could possibly push for a top 4 d-spot. This might be overstating the situation but keeping Edler over Tanev requires his TOI being cut back to about 20 minutes. It allows Benning to sit on Edler and move him as his contract near its expiration. By that time the young d-men should be ready for top 4 play and Joulevi might be ready. Since there is no hurry with Joulevi I hope he gets a year in Utica.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Wow! Bang on. I agree with your lineup except no Hansen and no Sbisa. I think they stick and I doubt Joulevi does. There is no hurry on Joulevi. I agree that moving Tanev makes sense if the return is adequate. I suspect player movement will be muted in light of the Vegas expansion. Once the draft is done we might see greater and bigger deals. Our biggest dif is about the d-core so my take is;

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Sbisa

Saying this I have been so impressed with Tryamkin that he could possibly push for a top 4 d-spot. This might be overstating the situation but keeping Edler over Tanev requires his TOI being cut back to about 20 minutes. It allows Benning to sit on Edler and move him as his contract near its expiration. By that time the young d-men should be ready for top 4 play and Joulevi might be ready. Since there is no hurry with Joulevi I hope he gets a year in Utica.

pretty sure seeing juolevi is 18 next yr he has to play nhl or another yr of junior only can play in ahl if your 20 isnt that right so its bigs  or nine game stint  then back to ohl which might be ok winning three memorial cups and 3 world juniors would be decent:)

tryamkin is gonna be top 2 guy in two yrs just needs to work on fitness if he gets jacked and faster he will be a force be fun watching him eat 29 mins a game like chara and destroy forwards with hits  i hope he has drive to be that good in shape and not eat to many perogies like in summer 

3 hours ago, canuktravella said:

tryamkin is gonna be top 2 guy in two yrs just needs to work on fitness if he gets jacked and faster he will be a force be fun watching him eat 29 mins a game like chara and destroy forwards with hits  i hope he has drive to be that good in shape and not eat to many perogies like in summer 

Don't let him vacation in Grand Forks then!

• Upvote 3