The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Coyotes @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

In fact, Benning is very careful to select draft choices with high character and will always try their hardest.

I for one would rather have it this way.  Development > Drafting

What's great is the style of play he's drafting and acquiring, with even Boucher now as an example.  Aggressive, active forechecking, non-stop motors.  Guys like Boeser, Lockwood, Gaudette, Jasek, Zhukenov, Carcone, LaPlante, all play that way, regardless of their size too.  We're going to not only be a fun team to watch, but one that's easy to cheer for because effort and drive is going to be at a high level.  Just seeing the start of that now.

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Sedins, Bure, Linden.......and Pittsburgh didn't tank to get Crosby..just luck.

We needed to win more games to get Laine, not less.

Oh the Sedins ya thats what you get for coming in second last in the league. So i guess im right two players drafted in top 5 can turn your team around.

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

What's great is the style of play he's drafting and acquiring, with even Boucher now as an example.  Aggressive, active forechecking, non-stop motors.  Guys like Boeser, Lockwood, Gaudette, Jasek, Zhukenov, Carcone, LaPlante, all play that way, regardless of their size too.  We're going to not only be a fun team to watch, but one that's easy to cheer for because effort and drive is going to be at a high level.  Just seeing the start of that now.

I have enjoyed most of what I have seen this year.

Much better than last year, and probably the year before.

I can only count a few real stinkers, otherwise they've competed and been fairly entertaining.

9 minutes ago, xRussianrocket said:

Tanking got the lemieux, i think that changed their franchise around just a bit

I agree that they tanked to get Mario and he saved their franchise. But today you have the lottery and if it were in place for Mario's draft year they could just as easily have gotten Muller, Olczyk, or Iafrate...........would any of them changed the franchise? Would it be worth tanking to get one of them?

12 minutes ago, xRussianrocket said:

I know you guys are high as hell because our abysmal club won 5 in a row and beat the worst two teams in the NHL as of late. But we need that elite team changing player through the draft.  We basically are the old oilers and leafs.  Sorry i love horvat but we need an Austin matthews, a laine, a tavares, stamkos, kane type player if were gonna go to that other level. 

Id actually like to see a cup in my lifetime in vancouver. We have never had a first overall pick. Our best ever draft picks are probably kesler and corey schneider in what in 47 years of drafting?

its ignorant to say tanking a season creates a losing environment. I dont think pittsburg or chicago would agree. Its the only way to build an elite team in todays NHL.  And really was our year to do it and really bottom out.

Maybe the owners know the Vancouver market better then we think, just ice a somewhat competitive team and they will come. Get to playoffs barely for that lucrative playoff revenue. Rinse and repeat every year.. 

I dont know if you ever played any kind of sport, but teams dont just play to lose let alone these professionals. You play with everything you got and if you're not good enough to win than so be it. There are other factors on building a contending team. And i doubt any teams play to lose regardless of what people say about the oilers. They drafted high picks but they didnt look at other factors on building a contending team. Thats why they stayed at the bottom for so long. At this stage of our current team we should lose more than we win so just enjoy the wins while you can.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Why not both?

Obviously, you're going to draft the best you can and Benning devotes a lot of time and effort to it.  

As the good picks start to develop and come in to their own as players (ie Bo Horvat) we get synergies happening.  That is a little healthy internal competition, spurs other players to try harder once one starts to show success.  If this gets held back in any way the group may never realize their potential.  We're seeing this effect between Horvat, Baertschi and Granlund (to a lesser extent because he's on another line) and Stecher etc.

So there's a limit as to how many years you can draft really high until the young group improves to a point where the team as a whole starts to climb in the standings.  I think that the benefits from developing in a good environment outweigh the actual draft choice position (5 OA etc).  It works like a snowball rolling down a hill.

There are lots of things that could go wrong and it is by no means fool proof.  Management changes, addition of poor characters etc

2 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

He must have forgot Trevor Linden and Pavel Bure played for the Canucks, although it would be difficult to miss considering their numbers are retired and up in the rafters. 

Bure was an insider deal are you gonna compliment our drafting for selecting a guy nobody thought was eligible? 

Trevor Linden was second overall, number one that year Mike Modano..

ya drafting top 5 is over rated doesnt help teams nah..

19 minutes ago, xRussianrocket said:

I know you guys are high as hell because our abysmal club won 5 in a row and beat the worst two teams in the NHL as of late. But we need that elite team changing player through the draft.  We basically are the old oilers and leafs.  Sorry i love horvat but we need an Austin matthews, a laine, a tavares, stamkos, kane type player if were gonna go to that other level. 

Id actually like to see a cup in my lifetime in vancouver. We have never had a first overall pick. Our best ever draft picks are probably kesler and corey schneider in what in 47 years of drafting?

its ignorant to say tanking a season creates a losing environment. I dont think pittsburg or chicago would agree. Its the only way to build an elite team in todays NHL.  And really was our year to do it and really bottom out.

Maybe the owners know the Vancouver market better then we think, just ice a somewhat competitive team and they will come. Get to playoffs barely for that lucrative playoff revenue. Rinse and repeat every year.. 

UM schnieder and kesler.  Kelser of one godly year.  Schneider who has taken any team where exactly?

The Sedins do say hello from the front entry to the Hall of Fame though.

Archived