The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Predators @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

I don't say this much... But the refs were probably in our favour tonight. Well deserved after being against us most nights. 

Great to get the win... Not the most entertaining win, but I rather win a game like that than lose 8-7 in OT in a thriller. 

Henrik and Daniel were buzzing all night. 

Miller very steady. 

The one thing about Miller I absolutely love is his passion. This guy wears his heart on his sleeve. Loved the reaction after the goal was signalled in. 

Great job by the d to keep traffic out. 

Loved the Sbeezus got the primary on Hanks 999! 

Hank Getting his 1000th point next game against Luongo would be perfect. Tryamkin Was a beast tonight, What more is there to say about this guy right now?

Also if the team awards were awarded today, tell me I'm wrong but wouldn't Sbisa be the unsung hero right now?

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Terrible game, boring to watch and we didn't execute well at all all night long but at the end of the day this was a must-win, clutch victory by the Canucks. Can't even complain about injuries when the Preds have Subban and Josi injured. They've been the most injured team all year, no excuses, but this is what you expect from two 50%-AHL teams

1) The Sedins were good and bad tonight. Daniel looked really slow, lots of bad passes and interceptions by him all night long from the get go but it's good to see Eriksson finally gain some chemistry with the twins. It's taken time but I think it's finally coming now. Lets leave him there for a bit longer. His defence tonight was fantastic, Eriksson was brilliant defensively. Lucky goal by Henrik but they could have scored 2 or 3 pretty goals tonight, so deserved at least one.

2) Baertschi, Burrows and Horvat were invisible for the most part, Horvat was shut down really nicely offensively but then made some nice passes and the trio did have maybe 2 or 3 B-grade chances. Not their best game, didn't execute well but to be fair the Nashville system really snuffed them out nicely

3) Sutter didn't have a great game, schooled in the faceoffs and wasn't amazing at all, average night for him. Granlund I thought played really well at times, sure he didn't score but had some really good chances, good defensive plays too. Skille really played well tonight as well and deserves to stay on that "3rd" line.

4) Gaunce had a brilliant game, it's amazing how he doesn't get more ice time. 6 minutes tonight, he was all over the puck, winning puck battles and generating offence out of absolutely nothing with terrible AHL linemates. This kid was good tonight, he's just not getting a sniff up the lineup at all. Chaput was so-so (good faceoffs tonight) and Boucher was benched for most of the game so hard to tell, but not a stand-out game by him.

5) Edler had some bad moments to start but after the first few minutes he really settled, logged some stupid-big minutes and ends up shutting down some pretty good Nashville scorers. Stecher had a couple great chances but I think we really need to rest the kid properly, bring in Pedan or Subban, rather than playing him 10 minutes. It's not doing the rest of the defence any good. Tanev had a real solid defensive game tonight, as did Sbisa, nothing fantastic but a shutout means you've done pretty damn well defensively, and our whole defence played extremely well. Only one odd-man rush against and it was a nothing of a play. Tryamkin had a fantastic night, physically he was great, sure, but he jumped up in the rush and was never a liability defensively. Eluded the quick Nashville forecheck well and moved it up the ice nicely too. His best game arguably of the season, he's getting better and better and more comfortable every night. Biega was average, nothing special really, but at least no bad mistakes.

6) Miller was huge obviously and is really in a rhythm, if this team makes the playoffs it'll be similar to how the 06-07 Canucks got willed over the finish line by Luongo, and Miller's got that look that he could do the same.

again, great post!!

Was at the game tonight

1) Tryamkin was solid tonight.  From the hits, to the simple passes, to how he read the game tonight, being right there against the opposition.  He really looks like he is ready to take his game to the next level and tonight was a good indication that he has more to give and to grow into his game.  The crowd went electric with every hit he made, which in a long time hasn't been that loud and electric.  Without Dorsett and Gudbranson, Tryamkin is who we look to bring that physicality.  Even his gap control has gotten so much better.  Instead of being a foot away, he is right in the face of the opposition making it nearly impossible to go around him.  He is not the second coming of Chara, Nikita is making a name for himself and he is ready to make his mark.

2) Markus Granlund is a feisty, gets really into the battles away from the play, had his own personal battle tonight with Victor Arvidsson, lots of slashing and chops at one another.  Kinda of mr.utility player ala Jannik Hansen v.2

3) Loui Eriksson looks faster than he did in the first half of the season.  He really has that jump in his step now, definitely seeing the confidence showing in his game.  He still looks like he could add an extra gear to his game, but overall his game is getting there.  Better puck management, much better defensive coverage, and really getting involved.

4) Miller was steady as always. Cool, calm and collected in net.  Everything you want in a goalie.  

5) When the physicality dialed up a notch, the team collectively moved together towards being a tough team.  Need more of the consistency in this department.  

6) didn't like that Boucher lasted only a few shifts before being shifted to the fourth line.  Thought he should've gotten a longer look in an offensive role instead of being placed with Chaput and Gaunce.

7) This city really loves Bo.  Jerseys of him everywhere, lots of signs up with his name on it, and loud cheers for him at the opening.  Finally this city has someone to rally behind again.

8) Lastly, Tanev seems off still, looked better though tonight, but he looked a little off.  As if he doesn't fully trust his instinct, so he double clutches on certain plays.  He was good but definitely I noticed some hesitancy.  Wonder if he is battling something still or if that foot is not quite 100%.

it wasn't the most exciting game of the night followed the Dallas-New York game. this game was basically the battle of the toughest dcores and the Canucks came out on top. Tram just showed tonight a glimpse of the player he could become one day and he was an absolute rock in the back end. he was launching hits on the Preds players all night. most importantly, he starred in the back end and finished his check. great work from him. hope that he continues to bring what he has doing almost all season for the next half of the season. also Miller was a All Star goalie tonight and showed why he is being this much. if he continues to play this way, the team could find itself in the playoffs and make a run somehow with the effort level they have shown this season. the next month or so will show how good this team is, whether they're battling for a playoff spot or a contender. Congrats to Hank for notching his 999th point which is a pretty impressive accomplishment and his brother is not that far behind though the way they're going, Danny might have to wait till next season unless he does well if we make the playoffs and put points up consistently. Stecher looked under the weather but he battled through and played a good defensively sound game. overall, everyone did their jobs well tonight and defended our own end really well. hope that they continue to build off this and keep it going. GCG!

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Was at the game tonight

1) Tryamkin was solid tonight.  From the hits, to the simple passes, to how he read the game tonight, being right there against the opposition.  He really looks like he is ready to take his game to the next level and tonight was a good indication that he has more to give and to grow into his game.  The crowd went electric with every hit he made, which in a long time hasn't been that loud and electric.  Without Dorsett and Gudbranson, Tryamkin is who we look to bring that physicality.  Even his gap control has gotten so much better.  Instead of being a foot away, he is right in the face of the opposition making it nearly impossible to go around him.  He is not the second coming of Chara, Nikita is making a name for himself and he is ready to make his mark.

2) Markus Granlund is a feisty, gets really into the battles away from the play, had his own personal battle tonight with Victor Arvidsson, lots of slashing and chops at one another.  Kinda of mr.utility player ala Jannik Hansen v.2

3) Loui Eriksson looks faster than he did in the first half of the season.  He really has that jump in his step now, definitely seeing the confidence showing in his game.  He still looks like he could add an extra gear to his game, but overall his game is getting there.  Better puck management, much better defensive coverage, and really getting involved.

4) Miller was steady as always. Cool, calm and collected in net.  Everything you want in a goalie.  

5) When the physicality dialed up a notch, the team collectively moved together towards being a tough team.  Need more of the consistency in this department.  

6) didn't like that Boucher lasted only a few shifts before being shifted to the fourth line.  Thought he should've gotten a longer look in an offensive role instead of being placed with Chaput and Gaunce.

7) This city really loves Bo.  Jerseys of him everywhere, lots of signs up with his name on it, and loud cheers for him at the opening.  Finally this city has someone to rally behind again.

Loui is a creeper imo.  Before you know it, he's in your head and you can't miss him.  But until then, he's not flash.

Boucher was gassed in the first period.  Visibly sucking wind hard.  There wasn't much option but to cut his minutes back.  He's not really ready - might need more boot camp - but that's not to say he's not worth giving more looks.  Tonight, though, he was unimpressive and I agree with the decision to move Skille up and moderate Boucher's minutes.

From reading this thread it's difficult to tell that we EARNED 2 pts tonight. Sometimes I feel like people would rather see what happened to NYR tonight and in Dallas most nights (score more than 4 and still lose). A win is a win is a win is a win. Preventing goals is half the game. Many forget that teams have had success by stacking their defence. NJ has used this model for years and won a cup with it.  Nasvhille was very successful doing this. Now they suck more and more as they dismantle their D for offence. 

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Best game of the year by Tryamkin... absolutely dominant.

Big hits all over the ice... by the end of the game I was watching Nashville forwards who had chances to push the issue back off their scating when they looked up and saw big Tree in front of them.

Almost total intimidation when he was on the ice. 

Plus he had jump in his scating, moving up in the play... had two genuine scoring chances.

This is the future gentlemen... get ready for the show... Big Tree is a keeper.

---

Did not like the line juggling... and once again, had to watch the Powerplay suck the life out of the team everytime one happened.

Each time Canucks started to generate some excitement and scoring chances in the first period, they got a PP and it killed the momentum.

Why is WD sticking with his completely ineffective PP roster???

Split the Sedins up... GET A NEW DYNAMIC HAPPENING... the old one is not working.

Do you just cut and paste your comments? In fact did you even watch the game? Or listen to it on the radio? The Canucks had exactly 1 powerplay. I don't know how that sucked the life out of the team.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Terrible game, boring to watch and we didn't execute well at all all night long but at the end of the day this was a must-win, clutch victory by the Canucks. Can't even complain about injuries when the Preds have Subban and Josi injured. They've been the most injured team all year, no excuses, but this is what you expect from two 50%-AHL teams

1) The Sedins were good and bad tonight. Daniel looked really slow, lots of bad passes and interceptions by him all night long from the get go but it's good to see Eriksson finally gain some chemistry with the twins. It's taken time but I think it's finally coming now. Lets leave him there for a bit longer. His defence tonight was fantastic, Eriksson was brilliant defensively. Lucky goal by Henrik but they could have scored 2 or 3 pretty goals tonight, so deserved at least one.

2) Baertschi, Burrows and Horvat were invisible for the most part, Horvat was shut down really nicely offensively but then made some nice passes and the trio did have maybe 2 or 3 B-grade chances. Not their best game, didn't execute well but to be fair the Nashville system really snuffed them out nicely

3) Sutter didn't have a great game, schooled in the faceoffs and wasn't amazing at all, average night for him. Granlund I thought played really well at times, sure he didn't score but had some really good chances, good defensive plays too. Skille really played well tonight as well and deserves to stay on that "3rd" line.

4) Gaunce had a brilliant game, it's amazing how he doesn't get more ice time. 6 minutes tonight, he was all over the puck, winning puck battles and generating offence out of absolutely nothing with terrible AHL linemates. This kid was good tonight, he's just not getting a sniff up the lineup at all. Chaput was so-so (good faceoffs tonight) and Boucher was benched for most of the game so hard to tell, but not a stand-out game by him.

5) Edler had some bad moments to start but after the first few minutes he really settled, logged some stupid-big minutes and ends up shutting down some pretty good Nashville scorers. Stecher had a couple great chances but I think we really need to rest the kid properly, bring in Pedan or Subban, rather than playing him 10 minutes. It's not doing the rest of the defence any good. Tanev had a real solid defensive game tonight, as did Sbisa, nothing fantastic but a shutout means you've done pretty damn well defensively, and our whole defence played extremely well. Only one odd-man rush against and it was a nothing of a play. Tryamkin had a fantastic night, physically he was great, sure, but he jumped up in the rush and was never a liability defensively. Eluded the quick Nashville forecheck well and moved it up the ice nicely too. His best game arguably of the season, he's getting better and better and more comfortable every night. Biega was average, nothing special really, but at least no bad mistakes.

6) Miller was huge obviously and is really in a rhythm, if this team makes the playoffs it'll be similar to how the 06-07 Canucks got willed over the finish line by Luongo, and Miller's got that look that he could do the same.

You must be fun at parties.

3 hours ago, hearditall said:

I enjoyed it.

Just like I enjoy a round of golf shooting 85 or shooting 75. 

Best game(s) on the planet...

Change that to shooting a 95 or an 85 and I'm with you...

Best way to spend an afternoon with mates...including a few beers along the way :)

4 hours ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

the call from the war room was the turning point

it's still weird to see calls going our way

It might just be me, but the officiating since the Christmas break has been much, much better. I still see missed calls, but they seem to go both ways and the games are more 50/50. Maybe all our bitching has worked? Doubt it, but when I see a goal called back after speaking to Toronto something has definitely changed (especially since in all honesty that was a good goal).

Great to get a win though and see Henrik hit the 999. Doesn't get the respect he (and Daniel) deserves in the league.

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Odd-man rushes were very limited and most of their shots were from far out, that's a big reason why we were able to find success." - Miller

Our D continues to look better and better especially with the Tryamkin Tank reducing the opposition to rubble. We won this game with 1 D playing sick, 1 AHL D and without having 2 of our top 4 D-men. Wow. It's been a long time since we've had this kind of depth that can still win games.

2 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

From reading this thread it's difficult to tell that we EARNED 2 pts tonight. Sometimes I feel like people would rather see what happened to NYR tonight and in Dallas most nights (score more than 4 and still lose). A win is a win is a win is a win. Preventing goals is half the game. Many forget that teams have had success by stacking their defence. NJ has used this model for years and won a cup with it.  Nasvhille was very successful doing this. Now they suck more and more as they dismantle their D for offence. 

Build from the goal out. Solid goal tending, solid D and soon solid forwards. It's been Benning's plan all along, can't wait until what the team looks like next season with Boeser up. The rebuild is taking far less time then most expected.

Archived