The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau Welcomes Trump's Approval of Keystone XL

DonLever

from the Star:

CALGARY—The Trudeau government is welcoming the news that U.S. President Donald Trump has signed an executive order advancing the controversial Keystone XL pipeline, while maintaining that the project doesn’t upset its balance between the economy and the environment.

“It’s a good day for Alberta and a good day for Canada,” Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr said at a federal cabinet retreat Tuesday.

“I’m very glad the prime minister and the cabinet are here, because this decision will result in many, many jobs for Albertans.”

Carr’s welcome came even though Trump provided few details about what his executive order covers, signed another order that U.S. pipelines should only use U.S. steel and said he wants Keystone XL details renegotiated.

Environmental groups immediately criticized approval of the pipeline, which former president Barack Obama quashed in late 2015 because he said it would hurt American efforts to reach a global climate change deal.

Patrick DeRochie at Environmental Defence called on the Canadian government to revisit its 2010 approval of the Keystone XL pipeline, because it didn’t factor in Canada’s climate commitments.

5 minutes ago, Violator said:

All the money we make off this in taxes should go towards an alternative energy switch.

It should but it won't.

What I don't understand is how our government can create a carbon tax on one hand and then commit itself long term to fossil fuels on the other. The carbon tax will also create an uneven playing field with the US.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It should but it won't.

What I don't understand is how our government can create a carbon tax on one hand and then commit itself long term to fossil fuels on the other. The carbon tax will also create an uneven playing field with the US.

Yup.

Trudeau has run up a massive deficit, three times larger then he said. A carbon tax was so obvious with Trudeau. The real sad part is a carbon tax does zero to help the environment.

8 minutes ago, LordCanuck said:

well weve had a carbon tax for nearly a decade now in BC, it sure does nothing. Also id take this pipeline over the northern gate way one any day of the week. I know that one was cancelled already.

This is a good project, however getting oil to an Ocean is what we really need. 

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Or better yet, just skip the pipeline and put that money towards renewable energy.

Why spend money you don't have.when you can make money then spend it how you want on things that are more beneficial to you.

Why would you give up on easy tax dollars.

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The real sad part is a carbon tax does zero to help the environment.

Helps to create a price tipping point towards greener technologies. Also helps to better reflect the true pricing of the dirtier ones. 

The hell with the planet!  As long as we create jobs and balance the budget.  So sad :(  I thought Trudeau was more forward thinking.  

Trump is also committed to getting those coal workers back to work!  How about educating your people to harvest alternative energy sources instead of keeping them stupid and digging holes in the earth to burn whatever you find?  Awesome Job!

49 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

Uh oh guess Trudeau is a racist now since he agrees with something Trump did

He's also been racists... and sexist... he's a white man... but he knows he's privileged and is constantly apologizing for everything so it's ok

48 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

The hell with the planet!  As long as we create jobs and balance the budget.  So sad :(  I thought Trudeau was more forward thinking.  

Trump is also committed to getting those coal workers back to work!  How about educating your people to harvest alternative energy sources instead of keeping them stupid and digging holes in the earth to burn whatever you find?  Awesome Job!

Our politicians are still operating in the mindset of the 1850's.   

When will we get politicians that can lead our country and build sustainable healthy industries ?  Instead of the current bunch hell bent on destroying our planet. 

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Don't hold your breath on the Keystone XL pipeline being built.  Trump has made it contingent on the pipe being made in America.  I have no idea how much more expensive that will be.  Who's going to pay?

Let me guess-

"We're gonna build a pipeline, and Canada's gonna pay for it, and they'll love paying for it. It will be the most glorious and uuuge pipeline ever. And believe me, I know about laying pipe, and paying for it. I love paying to lay pipe, but I won't for this one. Pleasures on you Mexico north. And you can't use American money to build it. Get your own currency"

Archived