The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gustav Nyqvist: Ugly Spear to the Face of Spurgeon

Nyqvist will have to sell this as accidental and try and ease the suspension.

People confused about the DoPS in many cases are looking at something from an intent perspective, but the DoPS has trouble proving intent specifically so the suspensions are lesser than people expect. The McLeod non-suspension is a good example of that, where it can easily be argued it was McLeod just holding his line, even if we all know he made sure to make contact.

Nyqvist only has so much to stand on here. It's pretty reactionary after the push from behind. It's reckless, and even if he didn't mean to come so high (which is what he'll argue) he swung at Spurgeon with ill-intent. It wasn't a hockey play and he'll get something for this, even if it's not as much as one would expect.

Definitely worth more than five games. Given that Keith had six, I'd think he should get at least that many, maybe even up to ten. Depending on the damage to Spurgeon, even 10+ wouldn't be too much.

EDIT: After reading that Nyquist has neither ever been suspended or even had a major penalty in his career, I'm guessing it'll be in the ball park of 6-10 games. My guess is that a usually calm guy just snapped at the wrong moment and made a bad decision. 

That said, Nyquist saying it was accidental is a load of bull. It's stupidly easy to see that he knew exactly what he was doing. At best, maybe he meant to spear him lower in the body, but it was a clear decision to spear, that's for sure.

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Whatever he gets, it's ridiculous that he was allowed to remain in the game. If ever there was an infraction that called for 5 and a game, this was it.

Once again, the league invokes the "star" rule....

League can't invoke star rule ... he's not really one.    

If an offender doesn't take responsibility for their crime or show remorse, the sentence increases.

If Nyqvist wants to say it is accidental when it is clearly not, he should get additional games. You could argue he accidentally hit him close to the eye, or hit him harder than he planned, but there is no doubt that he tried to hit him with his stick.

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

This is a terrible word and a sad go-to whenever disagreement exists.

Also,

All slashes to the body and one high stick,  I could make the same baseles claim that I could see Buurows doing what Nyquist did using your "evidence" compilation of Marchands.

Also butthurt is applicable here as anytime the Bruins are mentioned half of cdc goes nuts with conspiracy bs. 

Heard a blurb on the radio, something to the effect of "Nyquist goes insane for a couple seconds" and wondered what was being referenced. That play definitely fits the description.

In no league anywhere is that less than an automatic match penalty. He should be well rested when he returns from a long suspension.

Archived