The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jameson Bennington the Third on TSN 1040 Feb. 16th

Ossi Vaananen

46 minutes ago, combover said:

After last nights loss odd of making the playoffs down to 2.6.

bennings a fool.again just like the last two tdls

Franchise worst gm 

worst-  Keenan 

runners up-  nonis tied with blundering benning.

Benning is by far the most incompetent gm currently employed in the NHL.

I am sure it was just an oversight on your part but where does Jack Gordon fit on your list? Gordon was the Canucks GM from June 1985 until June 1987. Some of his more notable accomplishments included:

- Team record in 85/86 was 23-44-13. Team record in 86/87 was 29-43-8.

- Trade: June 1986: To Vancouver: Barry Pederson
To Boston: Cam Neeley and a 1st round pick in 1987 (Glen Wesley)

- Trade: December 1986: To Vancouver: Jim Benning and Dan Hodgson
To Toronto: Rick Lanz

He was an awful GM and should be high on your list as it is doubtful that your hated GM, Jim Benning, would be in his role today had Jack Gordon not traded for him as a player and he got to know Trevor Linden.

23 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I like how people are giving JB crud for not selling out on his players, but if you actually listen to his interview there are a bunch of teams doing the exact same thing.  Unless you know the playoffs are not a possibility, why would you turn on your players?

Exactly, this is a business and the on-ice product would be horrible if the players thought that management had given up on them.

As a general rule of thumb, coaches and management should never give the players an excuse for a bad game. Coming out and announcing that the team is is sell off mode is a HUGE excuse and is rarely ever done.

1 minute ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Exactly, this is a business and the on-ice product would be horrible if the players thought that management had given up on them.

As a general rule of thumb, coaches and management should never give the players an excuse for a bad game. Coming out and announcing that the team is is sell off mode is a HUGE excuse and is rarely ever done.

If we have players who would quit on the team because some guys got traded away, then those quitters should be gone too.  I think our guys will give 110% regardless.  Bo will still be blocking shots, and leading the team.  Edler will still be breaking sticks and turning pucks over.  Whoops!  Trade Edler?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If we have players who would quit on the team because some guys got traded away, then those quitters should be gone too.  I think our guys will give 110% regardless.  Bo will still be blocking shots, and leading the team.  Edler will still be breaking sticks and turning pucks over.  Whoops!  Trade Edler?

I'm not talking about guys quitting because their team mates get traded. I'm talking about the feeling of doom and gloom if a GM comes out and publicly states that he is going to be cleaning house, it's in my text Alf.....

Just now, GarthButcher5 said:

I'm not talking about guys quitting because their team mates get traded. I'm talking about the feeling of doom and gloom if a GM comes out and publicly states that he is going to be cleaning house, it's in my text Alf.....

I see said the blind Alien.  Whoops!  Still, how about trading Edler?

20 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Who are you comparing him to? 

Know one in particular; he is on the plus side of 30 yrs; therefore, I wouldn't consider him to be young, fast or strong now, then signing him for 6 years to boot. Kind of goes against the statement younger, faster, stronger

32 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

We didn't give up anything in a trade to get him. He's not taking up a roster spot that a young gun could fill.

We let go of vrbata to sign him

Eriksson is younger

Speed is about the same

Eriksson is Definitely stronger

Even if he wasn't.  This is a general direction we're heading in. Not every move has to be younger faster stronger. Jagr isn't young fast and strong but I think a straight swap him for gauge would benefit us don't you think?

Virtanen is younger faster stronger than hansen... would waiving hansen for virtanen be a smart move?

Use your &^@#ing brain man stop being so dense. 

It's all relative...I honestly can say LE is not younger, faster and stronger with the player I have in mind...and we have him for another 6 years.

Way to go, comparing him to Vrbata...it does prove your point. Vrbata does have 39 pts but is -16...but I would agree that LE is better than Vrbata...I would have neither of them on my team though.

7 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Yeah except we were not contenders and most fans around here knew that

I have tried to find a 101 point team that were sellers at the TDL and I was unable to find one. Perhaps you might have better luck.

The players on the team would feel that management had betrayed them if they were to have traded their UFA's for picks at that trade deadline. "Most fans" may have known they were not contenders but I can guarantee you the players would not have seen it that way. The team busted their collective arses to have a successful season and they would be looking for support from management to help them achieve their goal. If management were to then sell off players at the TDL, what message would that send to these players?

28 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I am sure it was just an oversight on your part but where does Jack Gordon fit on your list? Gordon was the Canucks GM from June 1985 until June 1987. Some of his more notable accomplishments included:

- Team record in 85/86 was 23-44-13. Team record in 86/87 was 29-43-8.

- Trade: June 1986: To Vancouver: Barry Pederson
To Boston: Cam Neeley and a 1st round pick in 1987 (Glen Wesley)

- Trade: December 1986: To Vancouver: Jim Benning and Dan Hodgson
To Toronto: Rick Lanz

He was an awful GM and should be high on your list as it is doubtful that your hated GM, Jim Benning, would be in his role today had Jack Gordon not traded for him as a player and he got to know Trevor Linden.

Can throw in Harry Neale as part of the brain trust as well. Harry Neale < JB?

9 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Is there somewhere else you can go to voice your complaints? Pretty much falling on deaf ears here man. Maybe write an angry letter? 

I would say the realists would agree, the tankers would agree and the homers would not...50/50 by my estimation...lol

5 hours ago, Fantomex said:

Although I do agree, trading Tanev leaves us thin on the right side. Not sure how management could go about filling that void and still move him.

This year maybe.

Next year: Stetcher, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Biega, McEneny, Subban etc, etc with UFA's and trades available to add #7/8 etc guys. It's not a problem.

4 hours ago, ice orca said:

That still doesn't produce any more scoring from the back end...same sht different pile.

Offense from the back end is a reason to not move Tanev....? :blink:

18 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Hey, wouldn't that make it 33/33/33?

lol...my bad...should do a poll; but no one would admit that they are a homer...we only know who the real homers are...tankers on the other hand, they have no pride, they would admit to anything...but they do have their points to their madness.

38 minutes ago, Pete M said:

It's all relative...I honestly can say LE is not younger, faster and stronger with the player I have in mind...and we have him for another 6 years.

Way to go, comparing him to Vrbata...it does prove your point. Vrbata does have 39 pts but is -16...but I would agree that LE is better than Vrbata...I would have neither of them on my team though.

Going to need a top 9 veteran forward when Burr, the Sedins and Hansen are possibly gone by next spring. Most of our prospects will still be getting their feet wet.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Going to need a top 9 veteran forward when Burr, the Sedins and Hansen are possibly gone next spring. Most of our prospects will still be getting their feet wet.

Good point...however, there is still the possibility of extending the Sedins, Burrows and Miller :(

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

Good point...however, there is still the possibility of extending the Sedins, Burrows and Miller :(

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

JB will make a trade and throw in a pick for extra measure...just like he stated he wants to get younger, faster, stronger, then goes and signs LE for 6x6.

I must be confused. I thought you wanted to get younger?

Archived