The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jameson Bennington the Third on TSN 1040 Feb. 16th

Ossi Vaananen

3 hours ago, HowYaDrouin said:

Jim Benning on Team 1040 - Feb 16, 2017 - 1:08pm

- At scouting meetings they go through all the teams, is there a fit with other teams. They have planned for the expansion draft now. Went through the pending FA's and know who they want to target.
- Teams are too close to playoffs so the phone lines are slow right now. Things will pick up next week.
- 5 games before the TDL and Jim wants to observe till the last day. He will talk to players and see if they want to waive to a specific team.
- They are concentrating on the TDL right now, will deal with the expansion draft after.
- Burrows and Hansen, No conversations with the players yet. 3 games coming up before a 5 day break, that will determine what happens
- It's a sellers market forsure because teams are waiting till the last minute to determin if they are buyers or sellers.
- Jim went to the U19 tournament in Swiss, watching 4 or 5 players then went to Sweden to watch the same.
- No generational player in this draft but it will still be a strong one.
- Lilgrgen has potential to be a cornerstone defenseman good shot, good puck carrier, would be a strong PP guy.
- CHL and college free agents are being scouted, a few CHL free agents have caught Jims eye. Monday Jim was in Boston watching Boston U game.
- Jim is excited about Adam Gaudette
- Zack Austin Reese, is one of the best college free agent, hes strong, good hands, good plays, him and Adam Gaudette have played together for the last couple years but lots of teams will be in on him so it will be tough.
- Eastern seaboard players dont typically like to go West which makes it even tougher.
- Jim is looking for another prospect for prospects trade that covers the teams needs. Once again, trades are hard, expecially this year.
- Trevor went to Utica to watch Jake play, they think he has improved greatly but needs to be keep developing. Utica doesnt have a high scoring group so his lack of points isnt overly worrysome.
- They will see how the season goes in regards to Ryan Miller, hes had a strong season but Markstrom can be a #1 next season.
- Curtis Valk, smart, always involved and making plays, not very big but has had a great season.
- Bo Horvat as the future captain, he's our top candidate, natural leader, shows up and is a great role model.
- Bo and Brandon might play tonight. They will take warmup and they will see.

This is great thanks!!! 

I feel like this prospect for prospect trade will involve subban, we need offence and with Tanev Tryamkin stecher and Gudbranson we won't make it on This team. 

It's too bad of course because subban has the potential to be great.

If we can somehow get Zach Aston-Reese I think that will be a huge accomplishment and will give us a nasty power forward we need

28 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Think about what you're saying.  Who is to say 'time' has any bearing on making a trade whatsoever?   Maybe it does, then again maybe it doesn't.  Making a trade doesn't necessarily hinge on getting started earlier, and you're presuming JB hasn't already talked to other teams interested in Canuck players (again assuming so).  

You're the one making positive claims about how a trade can/should/would/whatever be made when you're not privy to any direct information between JB and other GM's.  All assumptions on your part based on ignorance.

I'm the one with the wait-and-see perspective, not you.

Thinking that time might help accomplish a task is ignorant... explain why that is ignorant? 

I don't think you understand the fundamental difference between an assumption and a presumption, nor do you understand the difference between an assumption and a necessary clause.

I've assumed that trades are more likely to be possible if the parties involved have more of an opportunity to talk. I didn't say that they "necessarily hinge", which you've someone arrived at. 

if they don't end up doing anything, that's fine. I'm content with this team keeping what they have. all rebuilding teams have these write off seasons and i like a gm who doesn't make these knee jerk trades because the "fans" are unhappy.

if you think this is bad, imagine being a leafs fan for those JFJ/fletcher/nonis days, or MLSE putting all of their fingerprints on that damage years ago, or having like 4 coaches during that time. that was bad. this is not

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Thinking that time might help accomplish a task is ignorant... explain why that is ignorant? 

I don't think you understand the fundamental difference between an assumption and a presumption, nor do you understand the difference between an assumption and a necessary clause.

I've assumed that trades are more likely to be possible if the parties involved have more of an opportunity to talk. I didn't say that they "necessarily hinge", which you've someone arrived at. 

Because you are not privy to any substantive information.  You've already stated there are "contingent factors".  Taking any of these factors for granted is just ignorant.  The same thing you are doing with your words "opportunity to talk".  You simply don't know what's going on.

I do know the difference, and if took the time to read carefully you might be more charitable to what I am saying.  Based on last years TDL, and CDC's popular opinion, people seem to think JB doesn't talk to other teams early enough.  You seem to be presuming such is the case this year as well.  Like I stated, how do you know he hasn't already started discussions already?  Maybe not with players or their agents though.

If time/getting talks started early doesn't necessarily matter, then why bother making the claim that it would?  ::D

12 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

if they don't end up doing anything, that's fine. I'm content with this team keeping what they have. all rebuilding teams have these write off seasons and i like a gm who doesn't make these knee jerk trades because the "fans" are unhappy.

if you think this is bad, imagine being a leafs fan for those JFJ/fletcher/nonis days, or MLSE putting all of their fingerprints on that damage years ago, or having like 4 coaches during that time. that was bad. this is not

Or a Canuck's fan from the 70s, 80s, and 90s?

Just now, Twilight Sparkle said:

i would write off the 70s because you expect an expansion team to be bad. late 90's was pretty bad, but a lot of people here were probably not even alive yet for 90's canucks hockey, so go with the more recent events

You youngins are only familiar with the Twin led era.  Those are two HHOF players, of course we were good during their best seasons. From experience, we will be a bottom feeder until we replace them.  We have Bo, but not much (tbh - Ilearned that acronym on CDC) after him.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You youngins are only familiar with the Twin led era.  Those are two HHOF players, of course we were good during their best seasons. From experience, we will be a bottom feeder until we replace them.  We have Bo, but not much (tbh - Ilearned that acronym on CDC) after him.

i dont think a bottom feeder, this team isn't quite bad enough XD

7 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i dont think a bottom feeder, this team isn't quite bad enough XD

28th last season, most likely the same this season......bottom feeder. Goaltending has been the only saving grace as far as points go. 

Started following  in the late 80's And the way this team is currently mismanaged ranks right there with some of the worst. 

5 hours ago, wren223 said:

Oh no Benning hasn't told us his game plan...what shall we do? Um, nothing. We wait. If he had told us he'd spoken to players, named them and gave out his whole game plan I'd be much more concerned. Just because he says he hasn't spoken to players about waiving doesn't mean he hasn't been talking to other teams about his playes or theirs. Just because he isn't laying it all out for the media and fans in advance doesn't mean nothing is going on and he's just sittig in his office having a coffee and a smile.

Referring to last year as a fail because he didn't hustle to make trades is sort of a falacy. No one wanted Vrbata last year, it wasn't like people were knocking on the door to take an underperforming, disinterested upcoming UFA. Hamhuis controlled his fate so he could only trade with certain teams. Dallas was never going to trade with Van unless we got totally and completely suckered in the deal. So, who else were we supposed to move last year? Trading takes two. Just saying.

This years trade deadline will be quieter than it usually is and not live up to the hype, thanks for the last few months of updates on nothing tsn. It's complicated by the expansion draft as well.

No not really.  Somebody else also alluded to 151 guys went UFA (or something like that) therefore they were all crappy GM's is the inference?

Maybe not crappy?  Or a fail. Not as a one off anyway. I agree that would not be fair.  But average might be. Not good, or proactive! It is his charge to maximise the performance of the team.  If he goes 3 years in a row without gaining any return?  

Teams like San Jose, not even a bottom of the barrel scraping team, seems to shed declining or expiring vets every year.  This year they traded Wingels.  They have traded Tyler Kennedy, James Sheppard, Niemi, Jason Demers, Brad Stuart, Douglas Murray, Michael Handszus, Ryan Clowe, Jamie McGinn, Danny Heatley, Devin Setougouchi. Most at or near the deadline the last 6 years. The amount of incoming talent & cap space realised has helped prop up the team they are currently.   

Ive been a canucks fan since I can remember.  I joined this forum because I thought it would be really fun to be more involved in the games the team and to learn more and gain insight from other peoples opinions.

I dont know if some of you have been on this forum for too long but from someone just joining...the forum is extremely redundant and naive. The GDT and PGT I cant even read if the canucks are losing. Every thread turns into the same tired topics. Fire and trade anyone who isn't producing like its black and white. As if the team isnt rebuilding, As if having great veterans and playing competitive hockey isnt good for young players. Like having Horvat and our young D corp get hammered on for 2 years is good for them. Most of it boils down to a difference of philosophy between Linden and Benning and the fans. 

But seriously. I don't know how many people actually read through a thread before posting...but it you do.. you will find that your point has already been made  by quite a few posters. Add to it please. It is ridiculous reading 'trade burrows so we dont lose him for nothing in 20 different ways' none of them stating anything new. if you agree with a post...positive rep. no need to say the same thing again. 

If you don't think that Benning has talked to other teams about possible scenarios involving Hansen, Burrows or Miller.... and if you dont think that those players know in their minds RIGHT NOW a team they would accept a trade to if asked or given the opportunity, or if they would even move at all, then im sorry to say that you are ignorant.  

Not to say that there arent a ton of posters on here who have way more hockey knowledge than me who have insight I enjoy reading. 

anyways.. rant over.

most of Bennings interview goes without saying by the way.

4 hours ago, wren223 said:

Oh no Benning hasn't told us his game plan...what shall we do? Um, nothing. We wait. If he had told us he'd spoken to players, named them and gave out his whole game plan I'd be much more concerned. Just because he says he hasn't spoken to players about waiving doesn't mean he hasn't been talking to other teams about his playes or theirs. Just because he isn't laying it all out for the media and fans in advance doesn't mean nothing is going on and he's just sittig in his office having a coffee and a smile.

Referring to last year as a fail because he didn't hustle to make trades is sort of a falacy. No one wanted Vrbata last year, it wasn't like people were knocking on the door to take an underperforming, disinterested upcoming UFA. Hamhuis controlled his fate so he could only trade with certain teams. Dallas was never going to trade with Van unless we got totally and completely suckered in the deal. So, who else were we supposed to move last year? Trading takes two. Just saying.

This years trade deadline will be quieter than it usually is and not live up to the hype, thanks for the last few months of updates on nothing tsn. It's complicated by the expansion draft as well.

I'd say last year was a fail because as one of the worst teams in the league, not only didn't Vancouver add draft picks.  They only drafted twice in the first 4 rounds.  Zero results on the ice, negative results towards a rebuild. 

5 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Uhhh, this is concerning. He hasn't even talked to the players? They're going to wait until the deadline?

We're sellers. That's a given. What happens when another team starts selling before we do? When another team is more prepared than we are?

I don't want to read too much into this, but it's already sounding like last year where they left everything too late and got burned by more proactive teams. 

I'm going to set my expectations very low for this deadline. 

^This. Disappointing. JB appears to have learned nothing from last year as far as being more proactive earlier heading into the TDL. 

The difference between last year and this is the way players like Burrows and Sbisa are playing. Their value is up.

If the Canucks are in the playoff race we could see a D man move for help up front.

Let's hope they are not in the race.

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Benning: We've got five more games until the deadline. So we still have time to see where we're at going into the deadline

Honestly he should know that a five game subsample isn't going to be a good indication of where the team is at. The team has not improved their points percentage from last year (even though I've personally enjoyed this season more than last).

There seems to be zero upside to waiting five more games. The consequence is being late on trades and teams look elsewhere to make a deal or not having enough time to negotiate and potentially rushing a trade or missing out on one altogether.

I couldn't agree more. +1

27 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

Ive been a canucks fan since I can remember.  I joined this forum because I thought it would be really fun to be more involved in the games the team and to learn more and gain insight from other peoples opinions.

I dont know if some of you have been on this forum for too long but from someone just joining...the forum is extremely redundant and naive. The GDT and PGT I cant even read if the canucks are losing. Every thread turns into the same tired topics. Fire and trade anyone who isn't producing like its black and white. As if the team isnt rebuilding, As if having great veterans and playing competitive hockey isnt good for young players. Like having Horvat and our young D corp get hammered on for 2 years is good for them. Most of it boils down to a difference of philosophy between Linden and Benning and the fans. 

But seriously. I don't know how many people actually read through a thread before posting...but it you do.. you will find that your point has already been made  by quite a few posters. Add to it please. It is ridiculous reading 'trade burrows so we dont lose him for nothing in 20 different ways' none of them stating anything new. if you agree with a post...positive rep. no need to say the same thing again. 

If you don't think that Benning has talked to other teams about possible scenarios involving Hansen, Burrows or Miller.... and if you dont think that those players know in their minds RIGHT NOW a team they would accept a trade to if asked or given the opportunity, or if they would even move at all, then im sorry to say that you are ignorant.  

Not to say that there arent a ton of posters on here who have way more hockey knowledge than me who have insight I enjoy reading. 

anyways.. rant over.

most of Bennings interview goes without saying by the way.

Ballard, Raymond and a 1st for everyone.

5 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Uhhh, this is concerning. He hasn't even talked to the players? They're going to wait until the deadline?

We're sellers. That's a given. What happens when another team starts selling before we do? When another team is more prepared than we are?

I don't want to read too much into this, but it's already sounding like last year where they left everything too late and got burned by more proactive teams. 

I'm going to set my expectations very low for this deadline. 

Is this the truth or the just the pr line tho? Perhaps JB is crazy like a fox and is finally trying to negotiate from a position of strength. A fan can hope.

I kinda feel like this is the year where JB makes some calculated moves and we may see players we weren't expecting to be traded moved. 

Archived