The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jameson Bennington the Third on TSN 1040 Feb. 16th

Ossi Vaananen

20 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

As you mentioned, the opportunity to make such a deal is contingent upon a variety of factors (e.g., fair deals), but I have to imagine that the ability to make a deal will be improved with a longer window of opportunity.

yet another 'contingent factor' aka baseless assumption

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yeah well, we can only protect one of Hansen, Baertschi & Granlund.  Trade one, we at least get assets back to replace the other we lose. Further, put Hansen on a contender, and I highly doubt it hurts your position with future UFA's.

Find another Eriksson to replace them UFA is your argument?

But to your Naslund point, believe he was let go UFA.  And really wasn't effective when he left.  But yeah, I would have preferred he would retire here. Have the same thoughts about the Twins if being honest. 

They can only pick one of Hansen Bae Granlund Sbisa. Might be easier to grab a replacement killer for cheep than it would benifit us to sell low on those guys.

An important thing people are forgetting about Benning not "talking to players"

He's got what people NEED, what they WANT.

When you have the supply, you don't need to advertise.  As players these guys know what's up.  They will get approached as the deals come in.  not a rush

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

What would you consider to be ahead of the TDL and laying the groundwork for potential trades? Did you miss where he said "At scouting meetings they go through all the teams, is there a fit with other teams".....would this not be a necessary part of the groundwork? He has also said "Teams are too close to playoffs so the phone lines are slow right now. Things will pick up next week" so I guess there are not a lot of conversations going on at this point. He has also said "Burrows and Hansen, No conversations with the players yet. 3 games coming up before a 5 day break, that will determine what happens". The 5 day break starts February 20th......does this not leave lots of time to deal with Burrows and Hansen?

Trading of players like Tanev, Sbisa, Baertschi, Granlund or any other players without NMC's or NTC's are not covered in here at all so we simply don't know what their plans may be for moving any of them. Conversations are not necessary for movement of any of them and I certainly would not expect Benning to tell the media what his plans are.

Why the panic?

Two TDLs with nothing done to build for our future.  That's why the panic.

I believe - 

No matter what Benning would say  some on here would be happy , some flipping out and going through the roof and some sitting back and waiting like he is.

Every player knows about the trade deadline -  no one needs to talk to them - they know - they know how it works.  They don't need Benning to tell them he may or may not ask them to move.

Give the man a break - everyone freaked out last year thinking he gave out too much info - this year I believe he is giving out very little.  Drive you crazy much?  You don't have too many days left to wonder.

1 minute ago, Bo fan said:

I believe - 

No matter what Benning would say  some on here would be happy , some flipping out and going through the roof and some sitting back and waiting like he is.

Every player knows about the trade deadline -  no one needs to talk to them - they know - they know how it works.  They don't need Benning to tell them he may or may not ask them to move.

Give the man a break - everyone freaked out last year thinking he gave out too much info - this year I believe he is giving out very little.  Drive you crazy much?  You don't have too many days left to wonder.

Two TDLs JB did nothing to rebuild our team.  Why shouldn't we (fans) be concerned he will do nothing again?

18 minutes ago, apollo said:

Come on man... are you making a joke? You got 6+'s for that and you'll get even more... but it's a shame bro. What you said makes 0 sense. 

Boston was in the playoff hunt and finished 9th, tied with Detroit for 93 points and lost out on the the break.

LA and NYI both finished 5th and made the playoffs... playoff teams don't sell off their stars. 

Are you comparing the selling tactics of 2nd last in the Western conference to 3 playoff teams? 

Obviously made sense to others.  Why didn't these teams move them for assets in the off-season, knowing they weren't going to re-sign?  Islanders even knew long before even the TDL they wouldn't re-sign Okposo, so why didn't they move or get something for him?  They just sat on him and let him get away for nothing.  Where's the #assetmanagement?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Two TDLs JB did nothing to rebuild our team.  Why shouldn't we (fans) be concerned he will do nothing again?

You can be concerned but it still doesn't change waht is - and if players don't want to move and have a NTC NMC  what the heck can he do. 

I am not a GM but I know if I was I certainly wouldn't be forth coming to much information just yet

13 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I'll wait to see what moves happen at the deadline. Fact is if we stand pat we risk exposing a forward we want to keep at the expansion draft. Whether it's Hansen/granlund/bae. Will anyone here be okay with having Vegas take them for nothing just to squeeze the extra 20 games out of them? 

But then we lose one of Sbisa, Edler, Gudbranson, Tanev to Vegas.

It makes no sense to trade Hansen unless we are also trading a Dman and vice versa!

The Dman and forward we are going to expose have about similar value, so if we only trade 

one, Vegas will take the other one..

Also a lot of people say teams don't want guys who need protection. I think this is not true.

If we could acquire a top 6 winger who needs to be protected, then we expose Hansen and Granlund..

The point is that no matter how many players you leave unprotected, Vegas can only select one!

So for us, it wouldn't make a huge difference if we expose Granlund and Hansen and Baertschi

or just one of them..

In a perfect world we trade Edler+Hansen for picks and prospects and are able to protect all our valuable

young assets... 

If Trader Jim hasn't even talked to pending FAs or players who can be traded like Honey Badger, then expect to be a very quiet TDL. We should be sellers but they leave the planning way too late which means nothing will happen. If we trade for young players that will help our team in the near future and need further developing, this is the place they want to be in. I'm perfectly happy though if we don't anything. We don't have to make a trade just for sakes of making one. I'm already looking forward to our top 3 pick this summer

4 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

You can be concerned but it still doesn't change waht is - and if players don't want to move and have a NTC NMC  what the heck can he do. 

I am not a GM but I know if I was I certainly wouldn't be forth coming to much information just yet

That's true.  I'm hoping JB is just posturing, and will actually trade a couple guys for draft picks.  Our team is really not good, so the draft is kind of our reward at the end of a bad season.  Those last two drafts (with so few picks) kind of sucked.

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You think that having a longer time to complete a task is a baseless assumption? Is that what you actually believe, or is it that you just want to keep misrepresenting what I'm saying to continue the argument?

Think about what you're saying.  Who is to say 'time' has any bearing on making a trade whatsoever?   Maybe it does, then again maybe it doesn't.  Making a trade doesn't necessarily hinge on getting started earlier, and you're presuming JB hasn't already talked to other teams interested in Canuck players (again assuming so).  

You're the one making positive claims about how a trade can/should/would/whatever be made when you're not privy to any direct information between JB and other GM's.  All assumptions on your part based on ignorance.

I'm the one with the wait-and-see perspective, not you.

Archived