The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flyers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Trade Miller, Hansen, and Burrows. Call up some farm hands and let the team ride it out for the rest of the season.

Oh and can Willie's butt and bring in Gallant.

I'd rather take our chances on Stevie Y firing Jon Cooper, but the rest, I agree with. 

2 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

Wow idk how many times I have to explain this.. Go to the thread about what Jim benning has done for this team so far. Find my post and u will realise Virtanen isn't bad. Only clueless fans who follow the game think that cuz they are unaware. 

Face it Jake is a bust. He is even failing at the AHL level.,.. getting outplayed by guys like Grenier, Valk, Archibald. 

You are delusional if you feel we made the right choice over Ehlers or Nylander 

pretty sure you are the one that is "unaware" 

1 minute ago, singularity said:

Can anyone on this team score with intent?  Half our goals are fluke tip-ins, funny bounces or things that accidentally go in.  The strategy seems to be to just throw the occasional puck on the net and hope something goes in.

The Sedins seem to be taking things easy these days, while everyone else is trying to rush in to the offensive zone, they're taking a leisurely stroll to the bench.  

Everything Edler touches turns to crap.  He's worse than a sieve and can't hold anything in the zone, his giveaways are atrocious.  Yeah I know he scored yesterday but it was such a fluke and wasn't skill in any sense.  And all the talk is of trading Burrows and the players who are actually making a difference.

This year and the next seem to be "The Sedin Appreciation Tour".  No matter how bad they are, management seems to think they are owed something.

+1

Next some random Carolina fan will tell you you're not a devout worshipper!

Sloppy performance as usual, it's really not a big deal under Coach Willie. It just seems like our players aren't comfortable amongst him. Usually you would give a coach a year or two to see how it goes, but Willie has had one post season appearance with the Canucks, and absolutely blew it agains't Calgary. I wonder why we got rid of Vigneault. He brought our team to the playoffs almost every season, and got us a Back to Back Presidents Trophy, as well as a Stanley Cup Final run in '11. It's sad how this team went downhill, but we will get back eventually. I'm hoping we get rid of players like Burrows, Hansen, etc. I love all of our players, especially veterans, but in a rebuilding phase, it's most definitely the right decision. Horvat is easily our best player at the moment, and we can get more. Maybe even think about Gaudreau. He's doing not too bad in Calgary, but currently a fourth liner. Watch your eyes for him maybe? 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Trade Miller, Hansen, and Burrows. Call up some farm hands and let the team ride it out for the rest of the season.

Oh and can Willie's butt and bring in Gallant.

I agree on bring up some new blood.

I'd wait till the off season to see what other coaches are available.  Hitchcock is still available too.

Canucks had a chance to make the playoffs. They're in the hunt, and they shoot themselves in the foot with games like these.

1) Sedins looked pretty good tonight to be fair, I'm really happy they've cleaned up their defensive game and aren't getting caught defensively and now the offence is coming too. Only good coaching move by WD was to put Burrows on that line and they nearly scored the tying goal, but these guys just need to shoot the puck from high percentage areas, not the side boards. Set up a point shot with a screen if need be. Nice goal by Granlund though.

2) Horvat and Hansen were good tonight but Horvat is far from the completely dominant player he once was - I don't think he trusts or is using his linemates enough lately and tries to rush the opposing D-men every shift which worked for the Hansen goal, but that was it. Other teams are clamping down on him now.

3) Sutter and Eriksson both had pretty bad games to be fair, no offence, not much chemistry but defensively they're not giving up chances when they're on the ice together. Megna isn't producing anything, that honeymoon period is over yet he's still here.

4) Fourth line was our best line all game long. Boucher was IMO our best forward. Chance after chance, good forechecking, lots of hard shots that made it through traffic. I like him on the 2nd unit PP, lets get him higher up the lineup, swap him and Megna or play the crap out of the fourth line because Gaunce, Chaput and Boucher showed some nice chemistry.

5) Edler had a very 50-50 game tonight, couple of bad mistakes but played well in the offensive zone for the most part. Stecher was all over the ice and had that brilliant rush that was thwarted followed by a fantastic back check where he skated 200 feet faster than anyone else to get back and prevent an odd-man rush. That's a special sort of defenceman. He's going to be huge for us. We need to set up his shot on the PP more and he needs to work on that a bit more.

6) Sbisa and Tanev had good games, Sbisa in particular was fantastic and the two of them shutdown the Philly forwards with good physical play while at the same time both of them jumped up into the rush a few times very safely - not giving up anything the other way. Smart game by our 2nd pairing.

7) Hutton had a monster of a game too IMO, some nice offensive forays and played really well defensively. Tryamkin is playing better and better too, not too many good passes tonight though.

8) Miller was very average on those goals. Unfortunate for the first goal which was a rebound bang in (Edler's fault there to not tie up Simmonds who's one of the league's best at that), but the next two were tough to give up. He made some big clutch saves later but 3 goals against for a struggling Canucks offence will never cut it.

9) At the end of the day this game was won and lost on special teams. 5-on-5 we were the better team but we blew it in the coaching department. The Philadelphia powerplay ate us up, in particular our defencemen were scrambling all over the ice when on the PK, and when we were on the powerplay we were a down-right embarassment to watch, not so much because of a good Philly PK but a bad Canucks PP. Megna and Eriksson are both absolutely useless on the powerplay as shooters yet there they are with 2 passers Henrik and Daniel. You essentially have 2 good passers in the Sedins who will rarely shoot, Stecher who's often right at the blueline, too far away to shoot to score, Megna who can barely handle the puck and Eriksson who's scoring touch is gone but has some good crease presence. We have to be lucky to score on the PP these days. The 2nd unit is better and looked good with Boucher there IMO but still far from going to score.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need to focus on shots from the point with traffic, no more of this Sedins passing to each other looking for the perfect pass then getting intercepted. It's happened too many times, it costs us too many goals for and in these cases it's going to cost us the entire season when we lose massive points like tonight.

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter (net front presence)

Granlund - Stecher

The twins are playmakers, Sutter stands in front of the net, Stecher and Granlund set up shots. Similar to where we had Baertschi, but we've seen Granlund's wrist shot is sick and IMO the most underated on the team. Get him set up in the circle for a wrist shot and we'll score goals.

Hansen - Horvat - Eriksson

Edler - Hutton

This is all about point shots with traffic. Not as much skill down low to control so we focus on rotating Hansen, Horvat and Eriksson as screens in front of the net while the defencemen just try and sift wrist shots or slappers through traffic for tips/screened goals. Simple.

The Canucks try these and I guarantee they'll score more PP goals, rather than the nonesense set plays they try now which is all perimeter passing and no goals or shooting.

TL;DR - special teams cost us obviously. On the whole we looked much better than against Calgary but Miller looks a bit worn out, the PK absolutely blew it and couldn't handle a premiere powerforward in Simmonds, and worst of all our powerplay is like beating a dead horse. WD needs to grow a pair and make a massive change on the PP similar to how he's swapped Granlund and Burrows. Put Horvat with the Sedins for all I care, it makes more sense to have your best players on the ice at once. Special teams could have stolen us 2 points from Calgary last night and easily won this game tonight. It's going to be the single reason we don't make the playoffs at this rate which is unacceptable from the coaches.

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Great teams can string wins together and we've been having trouble with that. But we're still in this, we're not far out." - Henrik

"Great teams can string wins together, and we're not one of those types of teams. Essentially we're golfing once the regular season is done, but we're going to stick to some tired script until then to try to convince any fans who are extremely delusional that we actually have a chance at the postseason." - Henrik

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Face it Jake is a bust. He is even failing at the AHL level.,.. getting outplayed by guys like Grenier, Valk, Archibald. 

You are delusional if you feel we made the right choice over Ehlers or Nylander 

pretty sure you are the one that is "unaware" 

U are delusional and obviously know nothing about hockey

I'll write it in big words for u 

VIRTANEN IS PLAYING WITH CASSELS AND KUNYK IN THE AHL

GRENIER VALK AND ARCHIBALD ARE ALL ON THE 1ST LINE

ONLY MCDAVID COULD PRODUCE WITH THOSE TURDS 

POWER FORWARS TAKE TILL 22-24 TO MATURE. UNLESS U KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT DONT POST

VIRTANEN WITH THE CANUCKS PLAYED ONLY 6-10 MINUTES WITH 4TH LINERS.

DONT U DARE BRING UP HORVAT BECAUSE CENTRES CAN DRIVE PLAY. WINGERS LIKE VIRTANEN NEED GOOD CENTRES.

HORVAT PLAYED WITH HANSEN AND BURROWS OR DORSETT ON GHE 4TH LINE. VIRTANEN NEVER PLAYED WITH THAT TALENT

VIRTANEN IS WORKING HARD AND HAS ALL THE SKILL TO GET WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE 

Thanks 

Archived