The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

So he's like a Phil Kessel? Dahlen looks quite stocky too (has chubby cheeks) :P

Also do you know if he's going to Utica soon? Or is he going to finish the rest of the season in sweden?

I’d be really surprised if he left Sweden this season. The main question seems to be whether or not he’s willing to even leave Timrå? Plenty of SHL teams want him, and there are rumours of deals already in place (Färjestad in particular), just waiting on Dahlén’s approval. But so far, at least publicly, he seems very focused on helping Timrå win and getting his team to an SHL qualifier.

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d be really surprised if he left Sweden this season. The main question seems to be whether or not he’s willing to even leave Timrå? Plenty of SHL teams want him, and there are rumours of deals already in place (Färjestad in particular), just waiting on Dahlén’s approval. But so far, at least publicly, he seems very focused on helping Timrå win and getting his team to an SHL qualifier.

I think he stays there out of respect for Timra since it's where everything began for him. And I think we'll see him in Utica at the start of next season unless he's lights out in pre-season. 

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I think he stays there out of respect for Timra since it's where everything began for him. And I think we'll see him in Utica at the start of next season unless he's lights out in pre-season. 

Yeah, if I were a betting man, I’d wager the same on both counts. If Dahlén valued a few months of SHL experience more than loyalty to Timrå and seeing this season through to completion, I think he’d be gone already. Sure it’s possible an SHL move gets announced tomorrow (and I wouldn’t necessarily be surprised given the level of interest out there), but the odds of it actually happening probably decrease with each passing day. And next season, I think he comes to camp hoping to earn a spot in Vancouver, but likely goes to Utica and is actually better served by playing an AHL year to develop further and adjust to the North American game.

Nice to see him continuing to produce. Just looked up the scoring in that league, former Canuck Alex Friesen is tied for the lead with 32pts 2 ahead of Dahlen, good for him!

Hope Dahlen is willing to play in Utica next year if he doesnt make the Canucks. I just feel like the quicker our prospects get use to the smaller ice the better. Less room out their tightens up gaps and makes some creative effective European players a lot less effective. Not saying that will happen to any of our prospects but transitioning to a smaller ice surface sooner is better imo

• Like 1

Have mercy on CDC if we get to draft Dahlin. The confusion between Dahlen/ Dahlin is already evident. Not a problem ? Google 'stetcher' on the forums search option. 68 pages of reference, including several from a well respected, veteran poster who uses Stecher's pic in his ID pic.. So.....let's draft that Rasmus Dahlen kid or maybe Jonathan Dahlin. They're both good !

7 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Have mercy on CDC if we get to draft Dahlin. The confusion between Dahlen/ Dahlin is already evident. Not a problem ? Google 'stetcher' on the forums search option. 68 pages of reference, including several from a well respected, veteran poster who uses Stecher's pic in his ID pic.. So.....let's draft that Rasmus Dahlen kid or maybe Jonathan Dahlin. They're both good !

I'm not even going to try to visualize a Canucks lineup that includes Rasmus Dahlin at this point. I'll revisit that in a few months.

But what I can say is that even the most hardcore fans on CDC are still unsure of what we have in Jonathan Dahlen. The mono really set him back, and he should absolutely be in the SHL right now.

It's unfortunate for Jonathan because of how otherworldly Pettersson has been, as I have never considered Dahlen to be that far behind in terms of skill. In fact, he excels in some other areas. Prior to the start of this season, I even figured Jonathan was the better prospect of the two...

I'm still quietly hoping that Dahlen breaks into this lineup and makes everybody forget about Dahlin (if we don't get him!!!). I'm hoping even moreso that we have both and we can have fun with the name-based confusion. But all I'm saying is, this kid is under the radar now among our higher skilled prospects, and he truly does have the ability to surprise a lot of people, I just need to see MORE.

Edited by nergish

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m honestly getting the feeling he won’t leave Timra. He sounds like a team guy and doesn’t want to jump ship from what could be a championship team but only if he remains there. I think he knows this and doesn’t want to do it to his boys!

IF he was going to have left you would think he would leave earlier on in the year maybe. But when talking about going up a division he did seem to be intrigued by the idea too.

I dont think it will matter much what he chooses. He is having good success where he is, maybe stay their keep the good year going and help the team fight for a championship and come to NA next year. If he went to the SHL and couldnt find his groove, would it affect him going forward? Probably not, but it is a big change to jump a division and try and find chemistry with a new team late in a season. we see that every trade deadline sometimes players just dont gel with their new team or are asked to play a different role than what they are use too.

I just hope to see him at the prospect tourney next September and if healthy see him get into some pre season action.

2 hours ago, Yotes said:

IF he was going to have left you would think he would leave earlier on in the year maybe. But when talking about going up a division he did seem to be intrigued by the idea too.

I dont think it will matter much what he chooses. He is having good success where he is, maybe stay their keep the good year going and help the team fight for a championship and come to NA next year. If he went to the SHL and couldnt find his groove, would it affect him going forward? Probably not, but it is a big change to jump a division and try and find chemistry with a new team late in a season. we see that every trade deadline sometimes players just dont gel with their new team or are asked to play a different role than what they are use too.

I just hope to see him at the prospect tourney next September and if healthy see him get into some pre season action.

Like others have said the top teams in the lower league are about the same as the bottom teams in the SHL  and every year they promote the best from the lower league and demote the worst from the SHL...so if he ended up with a bottom SHL team that might well be worse for his development than winning with Timra.....