The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

5 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

The coach of TPS said that?

I assume you're thinking of the comments Salo made of Juolevi needing to get fitter and train harder if he wants to have a hope of being an NHL defender. 

Anyway. This is the Dahlen thread. 

Sami Salo the assistant coach said that on vancouver radio.

5 hours ago, appleboy said:

Just because he is playing big minutes does not mean that he is strong enough to handle the players in the nhl. 

You had said, referencing Jake and Hutton:

9 hours ago, appleboy said:

First Juolevi needs to get into nhl shape.

Conditioning shape and man-strength are not the same thing.  Jake has always been plenty strong, and it's not as if Liiga is filled with Palmus; it's a men's pro league.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

@ForzaTikare will know for sure, but I think it was Hampus Larsson this season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86426

EDIT: and looks like Karlsson, Lauritzen, and Berglund wore the A’s.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=11&year0=2018

Correct, Lauritzen was injured all season (7th concussion) Hampus Larsson   http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86426  was the team captain his first season in the team as a 22 year-old Defenseman, Erik Karlsson and Emil Berglund as Assistans. The King of the Defense was Didrik Strömberg.   http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38728  defensive Dman playing  really physical  hockey

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

How would you be feeling a couple day after winning the "cup"? Its the final boss of this year and they braved it! Lots of champagne and beer for the heroes! 

15232545953014241358140070914079.jpg

What an awesome picture.

Such a cool story what he accomplished there.

Lol at the guy in the pic pouring champagne on his head and struttin.

23 hours ago, cory40 said:

Most players can play with men, But few have the talent to exploit men. Maybe if he could bench press chara while he makes a tape to tape pass, skating to the net to tap in the rebound. Many on CDC  are not Canuck fans they are just here to run our prospect pool down. I am betting we have a play-off team very soon. Possibly in the next two years. 

Many on CDC ARE real Canuck fans who want to see that we have realistic expectations for our prospects and players.  I have seen this group all too often turn on guys when they don't live up to the fan boys expectations.  If our prospects and players exceed our realistic hopes, then that will be a wonderful thing to celebrate, but I hate to see people on CDC dumping on our prospects because they don't live up to unrealistic expectations.  I'd much rather be pleased when a player does better than we hope than disappointed because he can never live up to unrealistic expectations, and even though he becomes a useful player, he just ends up being a whipping boy because he disappointed someone's daydream about him.

For the first time in years, I like the prospect pool management has built - lets not ruin it with overblown expectations leading to disappointment, leading to sniping at these young guys. 

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

His Timra coach trying to lower expectations on Dahlen. Nice to see him looking out for Johnathan. I think he's close to ready.

Andersson may not be the most impartial judge of Dahlen's abilities. I'd want to keep him for the next one or two years if I were in Andersson's shoes too.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Many on CDC ARE real Canuck fans who want to see that we have realistic expectations for our prospects and players.  I have seen this group all too often turn on guys when they don't live up to the fan boys expectations.  If our prospects and players exceed our realistic hopes, then that will be a wonderful thing to celebrate, but I hate to see people on CDC dumping on our prospects because they don't live up to unrealistic expectations.  I'd much rather be pleased when a player does better than we hope than disappointed because he can never live up to unrealistic expectations, and even though he becomes a useful player, he just ends up being a whipping boy because he disappointed someone's daydream about him.

For the first time in years, I like the prospect pool management has built - lets not ruin it with overblown expectations leading to disappointment, leading to sniping at these young guys. 

I hear you

Edited by cory40
keeping peace. lol

On 4/9/2018 at 12:16 AM, nzan said:

Like a neo-WCE except with a better C (no disprepect to B-Mo)

And dreaming of neo-Sedinery following up with Pettersson-Dahlen.

And no generation gap between the two groups!

WCE?? Virt has long way to go before being on the same level as Bert. Bert could make plays and to be honest, he was bigger and much stronger. I don't think anyone was stronger than Bert, even Chara. Jake is faster though. And Nazzy was the best winger, maybe best player in the NHL in the early 2000's. Boeser has a lot of ways to go.

The thing I don't like about Virt-Horvat-Boeser line is that it lacks a playmaker. It has two guys that can rush and drive the puck in Virt and Bo. But I think you only need one on each line.

The line that I see in the future if Virt pulls it together is Virt-Pettersson-Boeser.

Elite playmaker. A driver that can rush and gain the zone. A finisher.

If Boeser plays with Pettersson, I think he may get 50 goals one day and may claim the best winger title at some point (unfortunately, the best player title will be hard due to the guy picked #1 overall in the same year as Boeser).

Second line will have Dahlen and Horvat. A driver in Horvat. All around offensive player in Dahlen. It would be great if we can add Hossa type player to compliment Dahlen-Horvat pair.

20 minutes ago, khay said:

WCE?? Virt has long way to go before being on the same level as Bert. Bert could make plays and to be honest, he was bigger and much stronger. I don't think anyone was stronger than Bert, even Chara. Jake is faster though. And Nazzy was the best winger, maybe best player in the NHL in the early 2000's. Boeser has a lot of ways to go.

The thing I don't like about Virt-Horvat-Boeser line is that it lacks a playmaker. It has two guys that can rush and drive the puck in Virt and Bo. But I think you only need one on each line.

The line that I see in the future if Virt pulls it together is Virt-Pettersson-Boeser.

If Boeser plays with Pettersson, I think he may get 50 goals one day and may claim the best winger title at some point (unfortunately, the best player title will be hard due to the guy picked #1 overall in the same year as Boeser).

Second line will have Dahlen and Horvat. A driver in Horvat. All around offensive player in Dahlen. It would be great if we can add Hossa type player to compliment Dahlen-Horvat pair.

Lind on the wing of the second line is the gritty playmaker you want with Dahlen the goal scorer

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, khay said:

Horvat and Boeser are both excellent playmakers....maybe watch them play next year....!

EP with Dahlen and Virtanen....Baer / Bo / BB until they turn cold if they ever do....!

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Horvat and Boeser are both excellent playmakers....maybe watch them play next year....!

EP with Dahlen and Virtanen....Baer / Bo / BB until they turn cold if they ever do....!

They're both great with the puck, however both of them put their head down and just focus on beating their man.  Horvat's actually surprisingly good at passing, I'll give you that.  

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They're both great with the puck, however both of them put their head down and just focus on beating their man.  Horvat's actually surprisingly good at passing, I'll give you that.  

Horvat is starting to create more space because he is finally passing the puck. I was a little worried about that part of his game starting the season. But Boeser has passing abilities that are unbelievable. Boeser and EP With Horvat as center watch out. And still have some second line talent coming Lind lipsac Gaudette . Could be a fun team to mix and match lines very soon.

11 hours ago, khay said:

I was thinking 60 one day ::D

Lol. That's not putting to much pressure on the kids am I right? Hahha

Edited by Rush17

15 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Well said.   For anyone who needs an education on people being unrealistic just go to the Virtanen thread or even in the past year the Juolevi thread.   At least the worst of the insane harsh crap has gone away with Virtanen - and the kid is still only 21!   Juolevi is 19 and just ended the season with his team as their go to #1 Dman....a real bust is he.

Give the kids some room to grow and develop and in a couple of years the Canucks will be a real force.   The path of every player is different - some take longer and some just don't make it but a supportive fan base that embraces the path and encourages the development versus expecting the kids to be finished products.    It took the Sedins four or five NHL seasons AFTER they stayed in Europe post draft.   It took Bertuzzi about same length of time to hit his stride.   

It is an exciting time to be following the Vancouver Canucks.   Players like Dahlen likely need another year either in Europe and/or AHL before getting some NHL games and probably two more seasons until he can be considered a legitimate threat to take a full-time role with the team.   He will be an ancient 22 at that point so while retirement will be just around the corner for him as some seem to think.

Go Canucks and Go Dahlen!