The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

On 2017-04-13 at 9:58 AM, J.R. said:

Have we heard anything on Jasek?

Latest I heard was he's getting interest from Extraliga teams. Apparently he's one of the summer free agent targets for Mountfield HK (according to Czech media). 

(I usually rely on my wife for Czech translations as the online translation bots suck at it. Unfortunately she's not available at the moment. But the tweet basically says Mountfield is interested in Jasek).

Which isn't all that interesting in terms of the timeline for him coming over to NA. Other than confirming he's free of the Trinec contract.

Doesn't rule out him getting an ELC this summer and going to Utica. But we do have two more years of rights. So it wouldn't be the worst thing to see him moving to another Extraliga team, playing regular minutes, and developing further at that level. At least for the short term.

But I'd still prefer him signed to his ELC and coming over this summer (or next summer at the latest). Don't really want to risk running the clock out on his rights. Or seeing him sign longterm with a Czech team (and have to break a contract to get him over here).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Added tweet
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Latest I heard was he's getting interest from Extraliga teams. Apparently he's one of the summer free agent targets for Mountfield HK (according to Czech media).

I know this is the Goldobin thread, but I love that you're the resident Lukas Jasek expert around here. You do some serious digging to keep the rest of us informed, I appreciate it.

• Upvote 2

Our problem next year is going to be places available in the top six, even in the top nine - unless a couple of the young guys step up and make the selection obvious - if they do, that would give us assets to move that may have value.

It looks like Baertschi, Horvat, D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Granlund, and Sutter are there and that the young guys have to play well enough to take their jobs and push them out of the top six: candidates for that are Boeser, Goldobin, Rodin, possibly Virtanen (because he brings a needed ingredient that the others don't possess), Boucher?, and our first pick (we may have an u Canuck-like good fortune and get Patrick (who might be ready)).  I'd love to think Dahlin is ready, but that was not the top tier of hockey in Sweden that he was playing.  Sadly, unless our first pick is a wondrous anomaly, we will be very weak in the middle). The reason I say they have to push the existing forwards out of the top six spots is because we just are not good enough at the top of the lineup - and we won't get anywhere other than the bottom of the league until we improve at the positions that consume the greatest portion of the ice time.  After a year like this, no veteran player should think he has a secure job,not the Sedins, not even Horvat.  What to do with Erickson?  Is the problem that he had no-one to play with?  That seems to have been the problem with Vrbata - who scored again once he changed teams.  Or was that also coaching?  With the decline of the Sedins to the point where they were almost entirely incapable of getting out of their own zone, too slow in transition, incapable of puck recovery in the offensive zone, and no longer capable of handling the puck or completing a pass, we have really been left without a creative centre (I don't think that is Horvat's forte - he doesn't seem to be a great playmaker - Sutter certainly is not

About the only thing that improved this year was faceoffs and goal tending - I guess that means Malhotra and Cloutier should keep their jobs - and maybe Jarvis - because puck recovery is part of winning faceoffs.

I will be going to the Penticton tournament again this fall, it was very revealing last fall - the dearth of prospects available to move up was ominous (pretty much the available prospect was Stetcher).  I'd love to see more surprises there again this year (and I think we are very likely to), especially if Boeser, Goldobin, and our first pick are there.  Last year, Stetcher, Juolevi, and especially McEneny really stole the show on D.  Of the forwards, only Valk (again), and Carcone were really surprises (Carcone did pick it up at the end of the year in Utica).  It would be interesting if Benning can find another defensive surprise out of college - like Stetcher (or like Gillis found in Tanev) - we could sure use the help.

Other prospects for the fall camp to measure the progress of, will be Brisebois, Neill, Olson, Zhukenov and McKenzie. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Our problem next year is going to be places available in the top six, even in the top nine - unless a couple of the young guys step up and make the selection obvious - if they do, that would give us assets to move that may have value.

It looks like Baertschi, Horvat, D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Granlund, and Sutter are there and that the young guys have to play well enough to take their jobs and push them out of the top six: candidates for that are Boeser, Goldobin, Rodin, possibly Virtanen (because he brings a needed ingredient that the others don't possess), Boucher?, and our first pick (we may have an u Canuck-like good fortune and get Patrick (who might be ready)).  I'd love to think Dahlin is ready, but that was not the top tier of hockey in Sweden that he was playing.  Sadly, unless our first pick is a wondrous anomaly, we will be very weak in the middle). The reason I say they have to push the existing forwards out of the top six spots is because we just are not good enough at the top of the lineup - and we won't get anywhere other than the bottom of the league until we improve at the positions that consume the greatest portion of the ice time.  After a year like this, no veteran player should think he has a secure job,not the Sedins, not even Horvat.  What to do with Erickson?  Is the problem that he had no-one to play with?  That seems to have been the problem with Vrbata - who scored again once he changed teams.  Or was that also coaching?  With the decline of the Sedins to the point where they were almost entirely incapable of getting out of their own zone, too slow in transition, incapable of puck recovery in the offensive zone, and no longer capable of handling the puck or completing a pass, we have really been left without a creative centre (I don't think that is Horvat's forte - he doesn't seem to be a great playmaker - Sutter certainly is not

About the only thing that improved this year was faceoffs and goal tending - I guess that means Malhotra and Cloutier should keep their jobs - and maybe Jarvis - because puck recovery is part of winning faceoffs.

I will be going to the Penticton tournament again this fall, it was very revealing last fall - the dearth of prospects available to move up was ominous (pretty much the available prospect was Stetcher).  I'd love to see more surprises there again this year (and I think we are very likely to), especially if Boeser, Goldobin, and our first pick are there.  Last year, Stetcher, Juolevi, and especially McEneny really stole the show on D.  Of the forwards, only Valk (again), and Carcone were really surprises (Carcone did pick it up at the end of the year in Utica).  It would be interesting if Benning can find another defensive surprise out of college - like Stetcher (or like Gillis found in Tanev) - we could sure use the help.

Other prospects for the fall camp to measure the progress of, will be Brisebois, Neill, Olson, Zhukenov and McKenzie. 

Disagree slightly - our top 3 lines are going to be fairly interchangable given the decline of the twins, improvement of Bo and Baer but not 'quite' ready to be true #1's and the young players we have

Personally, I see a 'top 9' vs a 1st / 2nd / 3rd line - My view Boeser (assuming he works on his quickness offseason) and Goldobin make the team and we see three very balanced lines

Baer Bo Boeser

Sedin Sedin Goldobin /Granlund

Erickson Sutter / Granlund / Goldobin

Boucher will be depth

I would love to see the twins split and these lines but doubt they do it

Baer Bo Boeser

Erickson Sedin Granlund

Sedin Sutter Goldobin

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Goldy scored 2 goals in Friday Apr 14 game v Hartford Wolf Pack.  5-4 win keeps playoff hopes alive

good on Goldy. I'm glad that he's down in Utica. He's helping the team down there. 

We got a special player; hoping that he improves his backchecking and his defensive game in Utica. 

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Baer, Horvat, Boeser/Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Goldobin

Granlund, Shore/UFA/Top2 pick, Eriksson/Boeser

Whoever, Sutter, Dorsett

I wouldn't even be opposed to keeping one of Boeser/Goldobin in Utica and letting one of Rodin/Boucher go for that 3rd line LW role so long as they earn it). Say it Goldy in Utica:

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Rodin/Boucher, C (as per above), Eriksson/Boeser

(Goldobin available for call ups).

Edited by J.R.

38 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Sedin, Sedin, Goldobin

Granlund, Shore/UFA/Top2 pick, Eriksson/Boeser

Whoever, Sutter, Dorsett

I wouldn't even be opposed to keeping one of Boeser/Goldobin in Utica and letting one of Rodin/Boucher go for that 3rd line LW role so long as they earn it). Say it Goldy in Utica:

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Rodin/Boucher, C (as per above), Eriksson/Boeser

(Goldobin available for call ups).

Do the Canucks have the patience to leave Goldobin in the AHL like the Leafs did with a player like Kasperi Kapanen? I doubt it.

38 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Do the Canucks have the patience to leave Goldobin in the AHL like the Leafs did with a player like Kasperi Kapanen? I doubt it.

I'm hopeful they still want to see what they actually have in the likes of Rodin before letting him walk. Even if it ends up in a similar situation to Larsen/Stecher this past year with Goldobin only playing part of the year in Utica, theyd' be silly to simply dismiss the extra depth IMO. Especially after this past year.

51 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Goldy is 9 months older and has spent 2 years in the AHL and one in the Finnish Liiga. His year to break out in the NHL is next year I believe.