The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

46 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Oh come on, he played fine in the NHL and his weaknesses were more apparent. now he has a better idea of what he needs to do to be successful.

I know. But if we hadn't kept him up for meaningless games, perhaps our prospects would be playing meaningful playoff games now.

Just sayin...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I know. But if we hadn't kept him up for meaningless games, perhaps our prospects would be playing meaningful playoff games now.

Just sayin...

Ya true, but in this case I don't think goldy would have made or broken Utica's chances. Playing games in the NHL was probably more important for him in his development. Plus now he can put that 15lbs back on

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ya true, but in this case I don't think goldy would have made or broken Utica's chances. Playing games in the NHL was probably more important for him in his development. Plus now he can put that 15lbs back on

Slightly better for him, significantly worse for Demko, Virtanen, Subban, et al...

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

Goldobin needs work defensively, but he sure looked good for the 2 games he was in Utica for. Guys got a lot of talent hopefully JB hit a home run with that trade. 

I think JB hit two home runs at the 2017 TDL.  Dhalen may even be the better player of the two, and Goldy looks really good.  Now let's get a coach who lets these offensively gifted players actually play without fear of getting benched.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think JB hit two home runs at the 2017 TDL.  Dhalen may even be the better player of the two, and Goldy looks really good.  Now let's get a coach who lets these offensively gifted players actually play without fear of getting benched.

Would have been a great year for JB asset wise if it wasn't for Erickson. That signing was asinine. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

Would have been a great year for JB asset wise if it wasn't for Erickson. That signing was asinine. 

It seems like there are a few GM's every July 1st., who make a big splash, that end up with a bad contract.  It shouldn't matter how much Loui is paid, if his play is only fourth line and PK, then that's what he should get.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It seems like there are a few GM's every July 1st., who make a big splash, that end up with a bad contract.  It shouldn't matter how much Loui is paid, if his play is only fourth line and PK, then that's what he should get.

It just really annoys me when I know a signing is bad yet our GM does it and then gives the guy 6 years.... I could maybe have handled 4 years but 6 is brutal. Good thing he made those good deals with Goldobin ect...

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

It just really annoys me when I know a signing is bad yet our GM does it and then gives the guy 6 years.... I could maybe have handled 4 years but 6 is brutal. Good thing he made those good deals with Goldobin ect...

6 years was likely the cost of signing him or not.  I too would have preferred 4 years...

That said, I'd wager he'll turn it around and years 2-4 (at least) and the contract will look less depressing. 

For the record, I wanted Okposo. 

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, J.R. said:

6 years was likely the cost of signing him or not.  I too would have preferred 4 years...

That said, I'd wager he'll turn it around and years 2-4 (at least) and the contract will look less depressing. 

For the record, I wanted Okposo

Same.  Play style and pedigree seemed like a great fit to me.

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2017 at 2:27 AM, UticaHockey said:

In three short games that I saw Goldy play I would agree with this.

22 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

What I don't understand is why is there an expectation for guys like him to play grittier. Isn't that the job of all the other guys on the team who actually don't have the high-end skill that Goldy does?  I mean, does Johnny Gaudreau need to play grittier? Does William Nylander need to play grittier? 

I get that in a team environment, you don't want these skilled guys to be lazy and expect them to also play in their defensive zone, but to expect them to be grittier?  I don't get it.

Goldobin has a slashing style. Cutting to the net looking for feeds. With the skills to bury a quick lethal shot. I like that he is active to get open? And he is dangerous when he gets it.

That doesn't mean he should be sitting, with his stick on the ice, just outside a puck battle on the boards. Waiting for someone else to pop the puck out. Or if he doesn't get the feed on that cut to the net, that he can't stop, wreak some havoc in front of the net. Occupy a D. Which creates lanes for other players? And might get him some tip in's. Or rebounds?  He's also lethal on the break. But we would get more breakouts if he would get into passing lanes to steal pucks. Instead of goal sucking behind defenders. In fact, pull a burrows or Hansen. And get after D with possession in our zone. Create pressure which causes turnovers. Make your own breakouts!  Blocking shots also causes pucks to pop out for odd man rushes. Goldobin is too passive defensively, does not work to get the puck is my observation.

Nylander and Gaudreau are also poor comparisons.  They can dangle, and hang on to the puck under pressure at completely another level. Beat guys who challenge them, make them look silly. Which takes grit in its own way. But its more than I have seen of Goldy.

Goldobin should model himself after Tanner Pearson, Gallagher in Montreal, Zuccarello or Tofoli. He can be exactly that type of player. They have his type of speed and skill too.  But are more dangerous, only dangerous because they put in that higher battle level.  

Thats what we need! 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

Slightly better for him, significantly worse for Demko, Virtanen, Subban, et al...

ya but like i said. If Goldy was sent down earlier there was no guaranteed he was going to save Uticas season. Management did what they thought was best, can't blame them for that.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, J.R. said:

For the record, I wanted Okposo. 

God I hope your right. I don't think he could play any worse could he? He should keep the November stache next season. His only good good month he had last season. 

He could take a page from Brock's book and get the puck off of his stick more quickly.  Most of his turnovers/errors were from not giving up the puck when he had a chance and skating himself into oblivion.  I like how he can make the first guy miss in tight quarters but he needs to make a decision with the puck afterward much more quickly.  

• Upvote 3