The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

5 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

We wouldn't have been able to sign him on a 4 year deal. I believe Boston offered 4/5 years and he refused. It was either 6 years or he would have signed elsewhere. Hindsight is 20/20 and given the current circumstances I wouldn't have signed him at all. But at the time he was being touted as the third Sedin so JB make the move. He's still a good player, just not worth $6 million. Every player is tradeable, even David Clarkson and his Goliath contract got traded. I don't think we will be having cap problems any time soon especially if the Sedins are gone after next year so his contract isn't that big of an albatross. Who knows, he could turn it around and score 20 next year and contribute. Time will tell. 

if he doesn't score 20 goals, i will consider it a bust season for eriksson. 

he needs to score 20 goals, that's what he was brought in to do, score goals

47 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

if he doesn't score 20 goals, i will consider it a bust season for eriksson. 

he needs to score 20 goals, that's what he was brought in to do, score goals

He was starting to turn it on once he was put on a line with Horvat.  Would love to see:

Eriksson-Horvat-Boeser

3 very smart players with pre-existing chemistry between Horvat and both his wingers.  No defensive liabilities on that line either.  You think Eriksson wouldn't score 20 in a full season with those 2?

Edited by King Heffy

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He was starting to turn it on once he was put on a line with Horvat.  Would love to see:

Eriksson-Horvat-Boeser

3 very smart players with pre-existing chemistry between Horvat and both his wingers.  No defensive liabilities on that line either.  You think Eriksson wouldn't score 20 in a full season with those 2?

He's too slow to play with Bo. 

17 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

We wouldn't have been able to sign him on a 4 year deal. I believe Boston offered 4/5 years and he refused. It was either 6 years or he would have signed elsewhere. Hindsight is 20/20 and given the current circumstances I wouldn't have signed him at all. But at the time he was being touted as the third Sedin so JB make the move. He's still a good player, just not worth $6 million. Every player is tradeable, even David Clarkson and his Goliath contract got traded. I don't think we will be having cap problems any time soon especially if the Sedins are gone after next year so his contract isn't that big of an albatross. Who knows, he could turn it around and score 20 next year and contribute. Time will tell. 

We should have let him.

It was a foolish and short-sighted signing from day 1, his terrible season this year has further exacerbated that.

17 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

I am hopping he has a killer off season as it should be apparent to him that a spot with the Canucks next year is his for the taking.

He has the offensive skills to be successful, if he can work on getting stronger on the puck and not giving up on plays he could do some serious damage over an 82 game season. Goldobin would do well to watch clips of Backstorm and how he shields the puck from defenders. I also think Goldobin is an underrated passer and if he can work on his decision making speed ( he seems to try and do to much / overthink things a bit ) he will have a great deal of NHL success.

35 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

I am hopping he has a killer off season as it should be apparent to him that a spot with the Canucks next year is his for the taking.

He has the offensive skills to be successful, if he can work on getting stronger on the puck and not giving up on plays he could do some serious damage over an 82 game season. Goldobin would do well to watch clips of Backstorm and how he shields the puck from defenders. I also think Goldobin is an underrated passer and if he can work on his decision making speed ( he seems to try and do to much / overthink things a bit ) he will have a great deal of NHL success.

Yeah. I'm equally excited about Goldobin as you are. I think if he works on all the things you've mentioned he'll definitely have a great career. He's almost a lock for 20 goals for sure. 25-30 goals possible, depending on his deployment, confidence and game, he could reach 40 goals maybe once in his career. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I'm equally excited about Goldobin as you are. I think if he works on all the things you've mentioned he'll definitely have a great career. He's almost a lock for 20 goals for sure. 25-30 goals possible, depending on his deployment, confidence and game, he could reach 40 goals maybe once in his career. 

Larionov said Goldy playing with the Twins would be an awesome line.

Just now, Luckylarry said:

Larionov said Goldy playing with the Twins would be an awesome line.

He did seem to play well with them nearing the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried that line next season. 

Goldy would be the trigger man on that line for sure. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

He did seem to play well with them nearing the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried that line next season. 

Goldy would be the trigger man on that line for sure. 

I remember Hank saying that Goldy was a very smart player too, who read the ice well.  I'm very glad JB made that Hansen trade.

28 minutes ago, Luckylarry said:

I remember Hank saying that Goldy was a very smart player too, who read the ice well.  I'm very glad JB made that Hansen trade.

Yep. Seems like a good trade, but let's see how Goldy contributes next season. 

If I were a betting man, I'm thinking he hits 20 goals easily next year. I say (20-22 goals next season) 

On 4/17/2017 at 3:27 PM, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure if it's just his personality, but Goldobin doesn't really ever seem excited to play hockey, and it's especially noticeable when he scores goals. Contrasting him with Horvat, who is super pumped every time he scores a goal, Goldobin seems to be very unreactive.

It reminds me a bit of Vrbata, who also has had a thing for not reacting much when he scores, so it's not to say that it's a negative sign, seeing as Vrbata has had quite a successful career. Has anyone else noticed this and had any thoughts on it?

It's just a European soccer thing. A lot of the best soccer players didn't/don't celebrate after scoring as a show of arrogance. Kind of like "I'm so much better than you that I shouldn't even celebrate my goal cause I'm expected to score". Mario Balotelli has a famous quote where he says, "when I score I don't celebrate, it's my job, does a postman celebrate when he delivers post?". 

I'm sure Goldobin like all European players probably grew up on soccer so he's probably bringing some soccer culture into his hockey which probably explains why I like him so much. Hockey could definitely use some more flair and style cause the meat and potatoes may win hockey games, but the flair/style is what gets people out of their seats. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yep. Seems like a good trade, but let's see how Goldy contributes next season. 

If I were a betting man, I'm thinking he hits 20 goals easily next year. I say (20-22 goals next season) 

Depends if he earns his spot up here. Like every player on the Canucks roster, he needs to earn it. Thats not just offence but decent defensively as well. If he steps up and shows a little grit and defensive awareness then he will be gold next year and be a big part of this team going forward. 

I think Goldy is like Tryamkin in a way. Both just need to be more engaged in the game every game.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Depends if he earns his spot up here. Like every player on the Canucks roster, he needs to earn it. Thats not just offence but decent defensively as well. If he steps up and shows a little grit and defensive awareness then he will be gold next year and be a big part of this team going forward. 

I think Goldy is like Tryamkin in a way. Both just need to be more engaged in the game every game.

Hopefully the new coach won't reward plugs with power play time. Goldy should still be on the power play regardless of what line he ends up on. One of Karlssons plays in the last couple of games reminded me of how Goldy plays that role on the power play - able to be a rover play maker and change routes, angles and spots to open up lanes. The main reason our plowerplay has sucked for so long is because everyone just stands in their spot like it's peewee hockey - making it WAY to predictable. 

• Upvote 2

On 2017-04-17 at 3:27 PM, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure if it's just his personality, but Goldobin doesn't really ever seem excited to play hockey, and it's especially noticeable when he scores goals. Contrasting him with Horvat, who is super pumped every time he scores a goal, Goldobin seems to be very unreactive.

It reminds me a bit of Vrbata, who also has had a thing for not reacting much when he scores, so it's not to say that it's a negative sign, seeing as Vrbata has had quite a successful career. Has anyone else noticed this and had any thoughts on it?

Vrbata always said that he didnt have big celebrations because he didnt want to draw the opponents attention towards him.

Vrby was always thinking 1 step ahead.

42 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

Vrbata always said that he didnt have big celebrations because he didnt want to draw the opponents attention towards him.

Vrby was always thinking 1 step ahead.

Sure if he's walking up the stairs to Burger King.  The reason that lazy bum didn't celebrate is because he wasn't willing to expend even the energy required to do his job, so he sure as hell wasn't going to use any after a goal.

On 4/17/2017 at 3:27 PM, -AJ- said:

In some way I actually kind of like that he doesn't show the total exuberance that a lot of young players do.  I don't think its his lack of desire to play, but more so he has the confidence he will score and will make those big plays.  Kind of like that he has that level of confidence in himself, and to act like he has done it before.  Plus I remember Vrbata said he doesn't tend to celebrate too much because he thinks if he does, it draws the ire and attention of the other team and they will focus hard to shut you down just because of it.

I remember Nail Yakupov would literally celebrate every single goal like it was his last in his first year and that really irked me.  Doesn't mean players can't show some personality, but to some extent, showing some maturity while celebrating is needed.

I think as games ramp up and start to matter more and more you will probably see Goldobin's true colors.  Plus how he constantly uses his mouthguard (which im convinced he doesn't know how to use properly) usually gets in the way that he smiles haha

492026922-641x392.jpg

Jxx13NI4.jpg

941f20438e280d588afb60d54bde8caf.jpg

goldobin-nikolay-canucks-white.jpg?itok=

tumblr_oo0vzh1Jzf1s5n077o1_500.jpg

see??? Its almost as comical as Tryamkin's visor protecting his forehead ::D:P maybe its a young russian quirk thing they all have haha

• Upvote 3

Thanks for all your thoughts on Goldobin showing emotion everyone. To be clear, I'm not saying it's a bad thing; I'd definitely prefer it over the gloating of Yakupov. So long as he's enjoying the game and being passionate about it--even if he doesn't show it, he'll have a solid career. I'm definitely excited for this kid and hope he gels with someone next season.

• Upvote 2