The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks are not going to sit Sutter down. He is not producing ppg but on the d-side plays a significant role. The Canucks are doing better than what I thought they would last fall and there are clear reasons. Yes, EP40 and a healthier BB have helped. Markstrom has found his game. Hutton and Stecher have developed nicely. 

From the hockey prospective what I see is a vastly improved puck possession game. A major reason for that is strength down the middle in the FO circle. Horvat-Sutter-Beagle are key. Winning face offs takes pressure off all aspects of d-zone play. The d-core has more time and space to make break out passes and goal tending face less dangerous shots. 

IMHO all the vets on the current roster have a date when they will move on. Bennings challenge is determining the time when mentoring and vet presence is outweighed by performance, possible offers from teams who can use their skill set and when the evolution of the prospects eclipses the vets. It is a battle about TOI and roster space. 

• Upvote 2

Well I hope they actually let him play.  Goldobin can take a seat and I would like to see Zack on Bo's wing with Roussel on the other.  I would also like to see Brisebois get a chance.  He can't be much worse than Pouliot is currently. I will be at the game tonight so I would like to see both get an opportunity.    

Leivo - Pete - Boeser

Roussel - Bo - Zack

Granlund - Sutter - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

Tanev - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Brisebois - Biega

Markstrom - if the Canucks are down by more than 2 goals after the 2nd period put Dipietro in for the 3rd period.

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Well I hope they actually let him play.  Goldobin can take a seat and I would like to see Zack on Bo's wing with Roussel on the other.  I would also like to see Brisebois get a chance.  He can't be much worse than Pouliot is currently. I will be at the game tonight so I would like to see both get an opportunity.    

Leivo - Pete - Boeser

Roussel - Bo - Zack

Tanev - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Brisebois - Biega

Markstrom - if the Canucks are down by more than 2 goals after the 2nd period put Dipietro in for the 3rd period.

Grandlund will come out only playing 8-10 mins per game.. 

Think Zac will play along side Sutter...Might get a few shifts with Bo later in game..

Yes I agree Pouliot is awful, Brisebois can play as good or better...Sautner for sure is better then Pouliot..

I think Sautner has just come back from serious injury and has only been back for a few games..

Edited by wildcam

13 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Grandlund will come out only playing 8-10 mins per game.. 

Think Zac will play along side Sutter...Might get a few shifts with Bo later in game..

You may be right, but that's not what I would like to see.  Goldobin will get eaten alive by the Sharks based on their current level of play. Granlund can kill penalties and play a defensive role.  I think that would make an interesting line and Bo and Roussel can help Zack play some "offense" rather than be on Sutter's shutdown line.  Time to see some of these young guys play in a favorable position. 

On a side note I am tiring of Greene's favoritism towards Pouliot.  He needs to sit and others be given an opportunity.   

Edited by Borvat

58 minutes ago, Borvat said:

You may be right, but that's not what I would like to see.  Goldobin will get eaten alive by the Sharks based on their current level of play. Granlund can kill penalties and play a defensive role.  I think that would make an interesting line and Bo and Roussel can help Zack play some "offense" rather than be on Sutter's shutdown line.  Time to see some of these young guys play in a favorable position. 

On a side note I am tiring of Greene's favoritism towards Pouliot.  He needs to sit and others be given an opportunity.   

Your comment is often made about players who struggle. I really don't believe in favoritism because a coach has to answer for his actions, not just to his GM, but also to fans and most importantly his dressing room. Why has Green stuck by Pouliot? I think the simplist reason is because he can. Pouliot has a upside that if realized would be a big gain for the org or if not in the plans, value if moved. We don't see the value right now but most fans had written off Hutton last spring as well. Yes I can admit that Pouliot has never shown his upside consistently. Hutton at least had a great rookie season before he dropped off. 

My patience for Pouliot likely extends only to the TDL. I still don't expect the Canucks to make playoffs. If they do not then full bore on rotating prospects thru the roster. If it was up to me they would be doing it already. Brisbois, McEneny and Sauntner are the d-men who should get games. MacEwen and Gaudette up front. I would not bring up any of the first year forwards, maybe Jasek as he played Czech senior league last year. All these guys could/should get some games but by 'papering day" they have to be signed for Calder play in Utica. IMHO those playoffs are more important for the org than whether the Canucks make playoffs or not. 

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Your comment is often made about players who struggle. I really don't believe in favoritism because a coach has to answer for his actions, not just to his GM, but also to fans and most importantly his dressing room. Why has Green stuck by Pouliot? I think the simplist reason is because he can. Pouliot has a upside that if realized would be a big gain for the org or if not in the plans, value if moved. We don't see the value right now but most fans had written off Hutton last spring as well. Yes I can admit that Pouliot has never shown his upside consistently. Hutton at least had a great rookie season before he dropped off. 

My patience for Pouliot likely extends only to the TDL. I still don't expect the Canucks to make playoffs. If they do not then full bore on rotating prospects thru the roster. If it was up to me they would be doing it already. Brisbois, McEneny and Sauntner are the d-men who should get games. MacEwen and Gaudette up front. I would not bring up any of the first year forwards, maybe Jasek as he played Czech senior league last year. All these guys could/should get some games but by 'papering day" they have to be signed for Calder play in Utica. IMHO those playoffs are more important for the org than whether the Canucks make playoffs or not. 

Fair enough.  However, if there are players who have earned or deserve an opportunity or a look then someone has to sit out.  In this case it's Pouliot. It would be nice to know where some of these players are at before the deadline. 

Edited by Borvat

3 hours ago, Borvat said:

Grandlund is not playing special teams KP much now, so it makes him the easy one to pull Grandlund out..Hard working Motte is a real key PK along with Sutter Beagel..Grandlund is avg 8-10 mins....

Its a flip I see Grandlund out with Goldy giving little more offence... We will see soon..

Green has soft spot for Pouliot for sure..Guess we all think of how good he was in Jr....Time to move on from Pouliot..

I think you will see Briesbois in next game and pouliot out..

Edited by wildcam
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Borvat said:

Leivo - Pete - Boeser

Roussel - Bo - Zack

Tanev - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Brisebois - Biega

Why is Jake stone hands, throw the puck away in the lineup, he's been terrible past few games, yet the guy that's been a constant threat and generated many quality chances you want to sit...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Why is Jake stone hands, throw the puck away in the lineup, he's been terrible past few games, yet the guy that's been a constant threat and generated many quality chances you want to sit...

Because Jake, Stone Hands, plays heavy and defensively responsible.  When he doesn’t have the puck, he does things to help us win.  

Granny should be the guy out anyway.  We need both Goldy and Jake.  Granny needs a break.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

image.png.4f6255d570dd3e729d065086c51b8c5a.png

**36 takeaways vs 17 giveaways

image.png.3ad384d22cdefb5b0079d96144c82ce8.png

**14 takeaways vs 23 giveaways

Jake brings things to the bottom six that this team needs.  8 of Goldobin's 24 points came on the PP (7 assists) and you are right he does get chances/set up but he just can't finish. 

I am okay with sitting Granlund, but Goldobin needs to be top six then.  I am just not impressed with Goldobin's compete level nor his inability to finish grade A opportunities, Each to their own.

Edited by Borvat
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

Both of those aspects to his game have to improve dramatically IMO, or his days playing in the NHL are going to be very short.

Goldy has KHL written all over him.  I’m sure he loves living the NHL life, and in North America, but our coaches need to convince him he’s got to be a harder on and off pucks player, or he will not be in the league.  

Maybe the key to getting Goldy to play the right way is to get Goldy to understand that’s how he needs to play?  Right now, I don’t see Goldy accepting this.  Gaunce didn’t accept he needed to change either, and look where he is.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

image.png.4f6255d570dd3e729d065086c51b8c5a.png

**36 takeaways vs 17 giveaways

image.png.3ad384d22cdefb5b0079d96144c82ce8.png

**14 takeaways vs 23 giveaways

Jake brings things to the bottom six that this team needs.  8 of Goldobin's 24 points came on the PP (7 assists) and you are right he does get chances/set up but he just can't finish. 

I am okay with sitting Granlund, but Goldobin needs to be top six then.  I am just not impressed with Goldobin's compete level nor his inability to finish grade A opportunities, Each to their own.

Problem is a giveaway isn’t counted when you do a low % shot into shin pads, or bobble the puck and skate past it, or chip it with limp wrist onto the other teams stick, or pass it to other team. JV does that a LOT