The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

16 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

EP is the closest thing we have to Hughes...Stecher is the next...distant...far distant...thing we have like Hughes.

Same thing with EP...we had no-one like him and he wasn't going to spend a drop of time in Utica...neither will Hughes.

As for Joulevi...he was ready to go...he will be a year more mature and there is enough time for him to hit the gym in June and be on the ice in August at latest.

I can see him needing a few games to a month in Utica if we still have both Tanev and Edler...we won't have Pooalot and Hughes can play either side if need be...

So if we have all the D we have now...then maybe ne needs until the first injury call up but that's it...it 's the show from there.

My thought about Hughes in Utica was simply the opportunity to play in a Calder Cup run. Canucks won't make playoffs IMO so Hughes getting a number of playoff games to end his season are in Utica. He would be playing with a number of players who will eventually be in Vancouver.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/17/2019 at 3:31 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I like Brisebois.  He's a keeper.  He can make the big club next year I think.  If Brisebois can develop into a legit NHL defenceman then it will be a lot easier to deal a Dman for scoring help up front.

On 2/17/2019 at 12:50 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

...but we need help up front, we need legit top 6 wingers who can play with BO.  We don't have any right now on the roster.  So that is why I propose Huberdeau and Stone, to speed up the rebuild.  

IMO, that guys is potentially Hutton.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes Hutton and/or Juolevi...

I personally wouldn't move Juolevi. Kid's going to be a stud IMO and we'd also be selling low, which seems a not-smart thing to do.

Hutton on the other hand I'm not sure they see as a long term fit and we would likely be selling high on...

With Edler almost assuredly back, Hughes coming in and Brisebois, Juolevi and even Sautner as all on the cusp options, we could arguably afford to package Hutton for that elusive top 6 LW we need (shame we missed out on Domi...*sigh*).

Sign a bottom 4 UFA, short term, this summer to fill 3rd pair until OJ's ready and provide a pro kids need to out play in preseason and move Hutton.

Edler, Hughes, UFA, (Pouliot or other as 7th) Brisebois, Juolevi, Sautner... That's perfectly decent left D depth minus Hutton IMO.

Then I'd contemplate moving Tanev next year (Gordie willing he's healthy), shift Hughes to the right and recall OJ part way through the year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I personally wouldn't move Juolevi. Kid's going to be a stud IMO and we'd also be selling low, which seems a not-smart thing to do.

Hutton on the other hand I'm not sure they see as a long term fit and we would likely be selling high on...

With Edler almost assuredly back, Hughes coming in and Brisebois, Juolevi and even Sautner as all on the cusp options, we could arguably afford to package Hutton for that elusive top 6 LW we need (shame we missed out on Domi...*sigh*).

Sign a bottom 4 UFA, short term, this summer to fill 3rd pair until OJ's ready and provide a pro kids need to out play in preseason and move Hutton.

Edler, Hughes, UFA, (Pouliot or other as 7th) Brisebois, Juolevi, Sautner... That's perfectly decent left D depth minus Hutton IMO.

Then I'd contemplate moving Tanev next year (Gordie willing he's healthy), shift Hughes to the right and recall OJ part way through the year.

I do agree with you and I like that plan.  I'd rather move Hutton than Juolevi.  Only thing to consider is who is coming back in a Hutton trade.  We need a legit top 6 forward that can play with BO.  Can Hutton get you that piece?  Or do you need to move Juolevi and his potential to get it?  I think Juolevi is a better trade piece right now even with his injury because of his potential.  If you can get a Huberdeau for Juolevi I would do it.  I don't think you can get Huberdeau for Hutton.  Hutton needs to be packaged with a prospect to get maximum value.  Which prospect do we wanna give up?

It's a tough call.  If JB can land a top 6 winger via free agency then it might help solve the problem.  Go after Mark Stone and then we can let Juolevi develop in Utica another year and see what happens.  That would be my plan A if it's possible.  We have the cap space for Stone, not a lot of other teams do.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I do agree with you and I like that plan.  I'd rather move Hutton than Juolevi.  Only thing to consider is who is coming back in a Hutton trade.  We need a legit top 6 forward that can play with BO.  Can Hutton get you that piece?  Or do you need to move Juolevi and his potential to get it?  I think Juolevi is a better trade piece right now even with his injury because of his potential.  If you can get a Huberdeau for Juolevi I would do it.  I don't think you can get Huberdeau for Hutton.  Hutton needs to be packaged with a prospect to get maximum value.  Which prospect do we wanna give up?

It's a tough call.  If JB can land a top 6 winger via free agency then it might help solve the problem.  Go after Mark Stone and then we can let Juolevi develop in Utica another year and see what happens.  That would be my plan A if it's possible.  We have the cap space for Stone, not a lot of other teams do.

I'd say Hutton presently has more value with the season he's having. Particularly to a contender not wanting to wait to see if a guy develops.

Not sure I'd give up major futures for Huberdeau. Plenty talented but not terribly gritty/hard working/defensively aware.

Hutton + Goldy and/or perhaps one of our 'B' prospects wingers should be in the ballpark. Especially considering D are generally higher value than W'ers.

• Like 1

Purely out of interest what do you actually know about Juolevi.  The only thing that I can think that is reliable is his frequency to the sick bay. I've never seen him enough to make a judgement,  he was at the time of injury he had I believe the worse +/-  Other than that I have no info other than fans day dream. IMO it would be rash to have only a injury prone Edler, a rookie Hughes and a further rookie Juolevi on the left side. To much dreaming and not enough facts

20 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Purely out of interest what do you actually know about Juolevi.  The only thing that I can think that is reliable is his frequency to the sick bay. I've never seen him enough to make a judgement,  he was at the time of injury he had I believe the worse +/-  Other than that I have no info other than fans day dream. IMO it would be rash to have only a injury prone Edler, a rookie Hughes and a further rookie Juolevi on the left side. To much dreaming and not enough facts

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

I sure as hell wouldn’t want to play against those guys.  They can all really skate, and play with bite.  Then, if you get super frustrated, and want to fight, Big Zack will bust you up real bad.  I’d rather play against a nice soft line, like with ?Goldy.  

I only want Zack to play enough games to get his beak wet then send him back to Utica. Of the other forwards in Utica I would like a look at Jasek as well. Gaunce deserves another look but after the TDL. Rotating those 3 makes sense to me. Gaudette is the most NHL ready and will likely stay as long as Sutter is out. I don't have a problem with that as long as he can get the TOI and he can play in the Calder Cup. Playing there is more important IMHO.

Sending Brisbois back is fine as Sauntner needs some games. I liked McEneny but Utica fans are saying his skating is not up to speed. A lot of his ppg are coming from the PP. Would still have liked a look. Rotate Schenn, Brisbois, Sauntner and McEneny.  

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I liked McEneny but Utica fans are saying his skating is not up to speed.

Repeated major injuries to his legs may have derailed his chances at an NHL career but I am still hopeful that he can regain some of that lost foot speed and mobility with a solid off season regimen that addresses  those issues. That being said; it is questionable if the Canucks resign him or let him go as a UFA at the end of the season.

38 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Virt better be careful, ZM is already looking like the player people wanted JV to be.

Lol, they are the same age and this season Jake has 12 goals 10 assists in 58 games with a -3, while Zack has 1 assist in 4 games and is -4.

Goodbye.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Lol, they are the same age and this season Jake has 12 goals 10 assists in 58 games with a -3, while Zack has 1 assist in 4 games and is -4.

Goodbye.

Also has a fight and hasn't played in the NHL before, and didn't get to play a lot of games with amazing linemates...JV is a let down, at least ZM will play physical and doesn't shy away from the front of the net.

• Wat 2