The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Who will centre our Top 6 with Horvat from 2018-19?

Henrik's contract ends next season and we don't have a clear replacement for our Top 6. 

Thankfully Horvat is shaping to be a first or second line centre, probably first line, which reduces our desperation to find a 1C. But who will do that job when the season starts in 18 months time?

Will Henrik continue on a much reduced contract?

Will Sutter or Granlund step up to a 2nd line role?

Will we trade or sign an existing centre from a well-stocked rival? e.g. Duchene, Reinhart, Tavares, Nugent-Hopkins?

Or will we fill the void with a rapidly rising prospect? Such as Gaunce, Cassels, Gaudette, 2017 draft?

...your thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Agreed. I hope we can get lucky this year, or trade up and nab one of these two.

I also have this pipedream that Bo's cousin - Travis Konecny signs here...

Hmm...the Canucks get lucky in the draft? Hahaha!

But seriously, I'm not trying to be negative, surely we can't rely on getting lucky in the draft?

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Hmm...the Canucks get lucky in the draft? Hahaha!

But seriously, I'm not trying to be negative, surely we can't rely on getting lucky in the draft?

This draft is meh. So we'll prob win A lottery. 

If Nolan Patrick was in last years draft he prob would go at like #4/5 im guessing? 

We have a few options but JB needs to make a serious move for one this off-season because time's ticking and our playoff window for 3-5 year time needs to be set now. 

1) Trade up from 5-7th overall this draft and snag Hirschier or Nolan. May not be elite but they'll be good enough to complement Horvat as a nice 1-2 punch.

2) Trade one of our good young defenceman straight up for a young center. Eg. Hutton + picks for Reinhart. He's 21, BC boy, fits perfectly as a playmaker. Hutton + Virtanen for Reinhart + late pick?

3) Wait a couple years hoping a franchise center comes along in the draft...don't like this plan, leaves too much risk and leaves it too late. We need to start cultivating and developing him now.

4) Take whichever center falls to us at the 4-10 overall pick this draft. Mittelstadt and Vilardi are there, there's some options, but they don't look like they'll be good enough offensively.

5) Hope Gaudette becomes a true #1 center...risky as well

I'd personally go for #1 or #2. Hirschier would be exactly what this team needs, I'd make a hard play for him (and he'd have a nice Swiss connection with Baertschi). Otherwise go all-in for Reinhart. If they want to rebuild maybe flip them a 1st + young D-man too.

3 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

This draft is meh. So we'll prob win A lottery. 

If Nolan Patrick was in last years draft he prob would go at like #5 im guessing? 

I think winning the lottery would be awesome! I'd take that any day!

Im thinking mgmt gotta work on all fronts to fill that void.

they gotta manage Henrik's workload from now on and help him to maintain a 2C level for perhaps another year.

they gotta try Granlund at centre and see if he can find his feet as a 2C at this level

they gotta try and trade from their relative strength at D (esp Tanev) to find a young 2C

They have to keep developing their prospects, but they can't rush them! They may have to use Sutter as a 2C for a season.

And finally keep their fingers crossed that they win the lottery!

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We have a few options but JB needs to make a serious move for one this off-season because time's ticking and our playoff window for 3-5 year time needs to be set now. 

1) Trade up from 5-7th overall this draft and snag Hirschier or Nolan. May not be elite but they'll be good enough to complement Horvat as a nice 1-2 punch.

2) Trade one of our good young defenceman straight up for a young center. Eg. Hutton + picks for Reinhart. He's 21, BC boy, fits perfectly as a playmaker. Hutton + Virtanen for Reinhart + late pick?

3) Wait a couple years hoping a franchise center comes along in the draft...don't like this plan, leaves too much risk and leaves it too late. We need to start cultivating and developing him now.

4) Take whichever center falls to us at the 4-10 overall pick this draft. Mittelstadt and Vilardi are there, there's some options, but they don't look like they'll be good enough offensively.

5) Hope Gaudette becomes a true #1 center...risky as well

I'd personally go for #1 or #2. Hirschier would be exactly what this team needs, I'd make a hard play for him (and he'd have a nice Swiss connection with Baertschi). Otherwise go all-in for Reinhart. If they want to rebuild maybe flip them a 1st + young D-man too.

^^^^^^

THIS 

JB is not dumb. He has a plan. But it worries me because there is some big risk with all options!

I would love to take a swing at Sam Reinhart. I'd even be willing to sacrifice our 1st rd pick this year in order to do it. Buffalo currently have both Eichel and O'Reilly, so it would make some sense for them to move Reinhart for a King's ransom in order to fill out the rest of their lineup. I'd me more than willing to pay that ransom.

2016 1st + Hutton/Tanev for Reinhart? Hell, throw Virtanen or Sutter in to sweeten the deal.

Having Sam Reinhart and Bo Horvat competing with each other to see who gets the reigns as no 1 center would put us in a pretty great position going forward. 

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I would love to take a swing at Sam Reinhart. I'd even be willing to sacrifice our 1st rd pick this year in order to do it. Buffalo currently have both Eichel and O'Reilly, so it would make some sense for them to move Reinhart for a King's ransom in order to fill out the rest of their lineup. I'd me more than willing to pay that ransom.

2016 1st + Hutton/Tanev for Reinhart? Hell, throw Virtanen or Sutter in to sweeten the deal.

Having Sam Reinhart and Bo Horvat competing with each other to see who gets the reigns as no 1 center would put us in a pretty great position going forward. 

This would truly be fantastic. 

I think the value is spot on for Sam, both have the capabilities of being a top Center and if both reach their potential they could be a very deadly 1-2 punch.

43 minutes ago, Jaku said:

This would truly be fantastic. 

I think the value is spot on for Sam, both have the capabilities of being a top Center and if both reach their potential they could be a very deadly 1-2 punch.

Of course this is all dependent on where we land in the lottery.

If, for example, we lucked out and landed one of the top two picks, things would change drastically, or possibly even negate the need to make the trade, since we would be in a position to draft one of Hischier/Patrick.

Basically, if we landed 1st or 2nd overall, I'd offer up no more than our 1st + one of Sutter/Virtanen/Columbus 2nd.

If we landed 3rd, I'd try to offer up our 1st, Sutter, Virtanen, and possibly the Columbus 2nd if need be.

4th or lower, which is where I expect us to pick, and I'd offer up the package I went with above. I might even throw in the Columbus 2nd if Buffalo was willing to offer up their 3rd (the 3rd wouldn't have to necessarily be in this years draft)

To Vancouver

Sam Reinhart

3rd rd pick (2017 or 2018)

To Buffalo

1st rd pick (4th overall-8th overall)

Chris Tanev/Ben Hutton

Brandon Sutter

Jake Virtanen

Columbus 2017 2nd rd pick

However, Sutter's pesky no-trade clause could get in the way of this, which is unfortunate.

But just imagine having these two lines next season.

Baertschi- Horvat- Boeser

Goldobin- Reinhart- Granlund

drool.gif

I remember during Sams draft year, Benning was chomping at the bit to get the 1st overall to snag him.  I guarantee you he is still high on him, and would make a move if the opportunity presented itself.

1 hour ago, Type R said:

I remember during Sams draft year, Benning was chomping at the bit to get the 1st overall to snag him.  I guarantee you he is still high on him, and would make a move if the opportunity presented itself.

i'm sure he would but probably not for who buffalo might want. ask yourself, if some team wanted bo and offered up who they wanted to give, would you trade him for who they wanted to give or would you counter, with a player/s you think is a fair trade. 

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i'm sure he would but probably not for who buffalo might want. ask yourself, if some team wanted bo and offered up who they wanted to give, would you trade him for who they wanted to give or would you counter, with a player/s you think is a fair trade. 

No I wouldn't UNLESS it immediately improved my team, and I had the depth to support the move.  Buffalo has some needs on Defense which Vancouver may be able to fill for them, and a first rounder should never be overlooked.

I think Granlund could be that guy interim. I'm operating under the assumption that we will be drafting one of Mittlestadt, Vilardi, Pettersson, this draft. All 3 likely go back to JR though I'm not sure Pettersson might be eligible to play in the AHL which would be sweet.  

19/20 C depth looks like: Bo, 2017pik, Sutter, Guance, with Granlund, Gaudette,  Dahlen, Cassels, also in the mix I think we will be fine @ C could trade a few assets to bump Bo down to 2C but I'm not sure thats nessicary if we get that scoring punch on the wings we will be fine. 

Archived