The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce should be Protected

gameburn2

Now that Green is coach, I'm looking at Gaunce differently. With Willie, I was kind of confused when it came to Gaunce's future, his ceiling, and his role. 

In order to crack the lineup under Willie, Gaunce really had to adapt to different role expectations and work hard on his defensive game and responsibility. It was Green who helped him with this transition to make the big club.

This coming season with Green I think we'll see Gaunce emerge in a new light. I'm willing to bet Gaunce will feel much more confident and comfortable under Green than he did with Willie. Green already knows what makes Gaunce tick, how best to use him, and what he needs to succeed. That'll undoubtedly be freeing for Gaunce.

I say protect him. There's a good chance he'll take a bigger leap forward next season.

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Few were more disappointed than me when CoHo failed.

My expectations are much more guarded these days.  

You hit it right on the head.  For *YEARS* we had *NO PROSPECT* that had the hype of Hodgson.  I believe he was either the #2 (or #1) ranked prospect in the world AFTER he was drafted by us.  I would've told anybody they were crazy not to think this guy was going to be the next Captain of the Canucks.

Did the Canucks deserve some of the blame?  Sure (eg., Canucks' doctor not finding out what was really wrong with him initially - though to be fair *his own doctor* failed to determine the root of his injury; it took eventually the Canucks' own doctor to diagnose the problem) but he was his own worst enemy.

Horvat restored my faith.:P  He was the guy that Hodgson should've been (heck, I believe there were some issues regarding Horvat's skating as well - but unlike Cody, Bo worked [& continues to work] on his weaknesses).

Oh well, at least Cody can devote more time into selling his clothing line:

http://cohoapparel.com/

On 3/7/2017 at 9:07 PM, gameburn2 said:

Times have changed so much since then.  Remember Keenan having a say over personnel, trades... and only being a coach. 

Thats because they didn't have a GM OR President after they fired Quinn. But that all changed when they hired Burke the following year.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You hit it right on the head.  For *YEARS* we had *NO PROSPECT* that had the hype of Hodgson.  I believe he was either the #2 (or #1) ranked prospect in the world AFTER he was drafted by us.  I would've told anybody they were crazy not to think this guy was going to be the next Captain of the Canucks.

Did the Canucks deserve some of the blame?  Sure (eg., Canucks' doctor not finding out what was really wrong with him initially - though to be fair *his own doctor* failed to determine the root of his injury; it took eventually the Canucks' own doctor to diagnose the problem) but he was his own worst enemy.

Horvat restored my faith.:P  He was the guy that Hodgson should've been (heck, I believe there were some issues regarding Horvat's skating as well - but unlike Cody, Bo worked [& continues to work] on his weaknesses).

Oh well, at least Cody can devote more time into selling his clothing line:

http://cohoapparel.com/

Spot on. The same things I said about coho at the time of his draft year are what I'm seeing out of Horvat. After coho lead the world jrs in scoring that 1 year I was convinced the guy was the steal of the draft and the canucks next alternative captain. Couple years later my expectations were brought back to Earth.  Horvat on the other hand has exceeded my expectations already and continues to impress me. When he dropped the mitts with Nurse I was even more convinced he is the next Captain of the Canucks.  Kid is willing to do what it takes to win. 

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

You make it sound like that he's not ever going to be 100 percent, ever. I guess every player, prospect included, shouldn't be drafted/acquired if they've ever had surgery for anything. Nor should we trade anyone who's ever been injured in the past.

Yeah that Crosby guy.. i wonder what Pittsburgh wants for that... maybe Sbisa + 3rd? We could be overpaying...

/sarc

Is the world really that black and white to you? The fact is injuries often DO reduce the trade/market value of players. Because it's impossible to tell if they will still be as effective after the injuries/surgery, since often they are not.

Back to Gaunce though. I believe he has a lot more to offer. At times last season he looked like one of the better players on the ice. His speed has increased immensely. His work ethic and defensive awareness are already nhl calibre. He looked really snake bitten at times. Could have and probobly should have had 5 plus goals last season. Going to be a difficult decision for JB for sure

I like Gaunce but not at the expense of Sutter like some of that crap I've seen floating around.

Beyond what Sutter brings to the team - soaking up hard matchups, encouraging rookies find their nuts (and the fact Hank is probably done after this year leaving us extra thin at C) it's asanine from an "asset management" point of view.  Ironically, it's the dolts who love to bleat that refrain who appear to be  pushing this idiotic idea.

How can anyone look at what Burrows and Hanzal or even Boyle pulled in at the deadline and think we should expose Sutter for nothing?  Even if Sutter's contract is on the higher end, we only retain salary on Hansen for one more year, coincidentally having room to retain a bit when Sutter's NTC falls to 15 teams.  

If this fan base can handle a rebuild we can damn well wait to cash in on a Sutter deadline deal.

Rant over.

9 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Now that Green is coach, I'm looking at Gaunce differently. With Willie, I was kind of confused when it came to Gaunce's future, his ceiling, and his role. 

In order to crack the lineup under Willie, Gaunce really had to adapt to different role expectations and work hard on his defensive game and responsibility. It was Green who helped him with this transition to make the big club.

This coming season with Green I think we'll see Gaunce emerge in a new light. I'm willing to bet Gaunce will feel much more confident and comfortable under Green than he did with Willie. Green already knows what makes Gaunce tick, how best to use him, and what he needs to succeed. That'll undoubtedly be freeing for Gaunce.

I say protect him. There's a good chance he'll take a bigger leap forward next season.

Green used Gaunce the same way as WD.

When he started in Utica he had him playing in the bottom-6 with the grinders.  Shinkaruk was the one playing in the top-6 with the skilled guys.

He was mostly being developed as a bottom-6 energy/defensively responsible player that can provide some scoring.  I am not sure how his role is going to change.  It's the Canucks that decided he did not have enough offensive potential to make it as a scorer so to make the show it will have to be as a shutdown player.  

A couple of things, 

i would hate to lose Gaunce, I think he will improve this year and break out next season into a really good 3rd line center.  But not at the expense of Granlund who is going to break out this year... Baer who plays the best for coach green, could be a big surprise for him this year.  

Sbisa is a bigger target, but LV is not just going to draft the best player available from each team.  They will be addressing team needs, so do they need a center or d man when we come up...

One more thing, waivers.  Let's say LV does take Gaunce, he might not make the roster and we could get him back by waivers.  It is entirely possible that they could have a better team than we did last year.  

I really hope JB makes a move with some of the big expansion draft exposed clubs.  Our 'to be exposed player and a pick for yours'.

Take Anaheim, Slifberg is likely exposed, I would take him over Baer in a heartbeat.  Baer or Gaunce and a second for Slifberg (sp?) so Anahiem exposes our player and gains a pick, we expose a different player and lose a pick, but gain Slifberg (sp?). Better deal for them than losing him for nada. 

That at is how to take advantage of the expansion draft to upgrade our roster.  

EmW

Saying Gaunce should be protected is either a good troll job or just trying to praise a friend.

I like Gaunce but he isn't good enough to protect over Baertschi or Granlund.

Only way Gaunce should be a Canuck next year is if Sbisa isn't.  I hope those 2 wernt too close, because they are breaking up soon

I would think LV would select Dorsett over Gaunce.  He's the type of player you want on a team just starting up.

Both will be coming off an injury, so I doubt that's a factor.  Maybe LV doesn't want to be locked into DD's 2yr contract though.

26 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I would think LV would select Dorsett over Gaunce.  He's the type of player you want on a team just starting up.

Both will be coming off an injury, so I doubt that's a factor.  Maybe LV doesn't want to be locked into DD's 2yr contract though.

I don't think Dorsett can be exposed he missed over 60 games which is a condition for being draft exempt. 

14 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I don't think Dorsett can be exposed he missed over 60 games which is a condition for being draft exempt. 

Only if the injury is considered career threatening I believe.

15 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Vegas will not bother to take Gaunce, there will be forwards available who actually scored a goal last year.

They need players for their AHL team as well so I wouldn't be so sure about that.

26 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

They need players for their AHL team as well so I wouldn't be so sure about that.

He is waiver eligible.  Is there anything in the expansion rules that prevents the Canucks from claiming him off-waivers?

9 hours ago, mll said:

Green used Gaunce the same way as WD.

When he started in Utica he had him playing in the bottom-6 with the grinders.  Shinkaruk was the one playing in the top-6 with the skilled guys.

He was mostly being developed as a bottom-6 energy/defensively responsible player that can provide some scoring.  I am not sure how his role is going to change.  It's the Canucks that decided he did not have enough offensive potential to make it as a scorer so to make the show it will have to be as a shutdown player.  

Not saying you're wrong at all. I'm just looking at how he was being developed with Willie making the decisions regarding how he was used in that role. Also, our approach to the retool - rebuild has changed since Gaunce was brought up in a shutdown capacity. 

With Green, he obviously knows the other dimensions of Gaunce's game, which I think he'll draw out in ways that Willie didn't or wouldn't utilize. I'm not saying Gaunce will be Top 6, or an offensive powerhoise, but I do think there's a good chance we'll see him emerge in offensive ways beyond just a shutdown role. That need for scoring still exists, and it'll have to come in-house. Under Green, he'll likely be more multi-dimendional since Green knows his potential and those other dimensions.

Archived