The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN 1040

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

I don't buy JB anymore. looking at how prospects from other teams compare to what we have,  it's insane how we manage to take the least of them. Nylander, Konecny, Tkachuk could have instantly turned our team around, they were expected to be the best player too.

Just hoping for JB to not be like the past drafts and  pick somebody like he sees something that nobody doesn't.

When it comes to the draft, I see JB as arrogantly believing he can out draft all the other teams, with fewer picks.  

9 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

Nylander, Konecny, Tkachuk could have instantly turned our team around, they were expected to be the best player too.

Better players than those three wouldn't have single handedly turned our fortunes around this year - sorry to break that to you.   

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When it comes to the draft, I see JB as arrogantly believing he can out draft all the other teams, with fewer picks.  

Benning is drafting for character.  Meaning, he want's players who will develop well.  So it's not like he is out drafting other GM's.  He can't because he has the same information that other GM's have.  One can't assume anything different.  What can be different is how players are developed.

It's like the hare and the tortoise.  

It's not where you are in draft year +1 that is important.  What is important is where you are with your players in draft year +5.

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Benning is drafting for character.  Meaning, he want's players who will develop well.  So it's not like he is out drafting other GM's.  He can't because he has the same information that other GM's have.  One can't assume anything different.  What can be different is how players are developed.

It's like the hare and the tortoise.  

It's not where you are in draft year +1 that is important.  What is important is where you are with your players in draft year +5.

I heard JB say that about character's importance too.  If that's the case, why the two first rounders in 2014? 

Just now, Alflives said:

I heard JB say that about character's importance too.  If that's the case, why the two first rounders in 2014? 

Well, you want skills etc too.  But above all you want a guy who doesn't think that playing in the NHL is an arrival.  You want a guy like Bo Horvat, or the Sedins who work at their skills and fitness their whole careers.  It's the journey (process) above the end point because there is no end point.

1 minute ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Lie twice?

scout extensively, interview past coaches, parents, multiple interviews with smart questions.....

Mistakes get made.  People draft the CoHo's of the world.  If you're smart and work hard, it is possible to draft better than the averages, because for every GM who is better than average, there is an equal number who are worse.

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

scout extensively, interview past coaches, parents, multiple interviews with smart questions.....

Mistakes get made.  People draft the CoHo's of the world.  If you're smart and work hard, it is possible to draft better than the averages, because for every GM who is better than average, there is an equal number who are worse.

I was being facetious

48 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Better players than those three wouldn't have single handedly turned our fortunes around this year - sorry to break that to you.   

Yet, it sure would set us up for the future with more surety. 15-25 goals from those player, couldve mean 10 more points. It would also help keep the fans nicer and optimistic, as WD can actually play young players, it's very important to do this or the fans would go wild.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Really where do you see or hear this? Seems like a pretty humble dude to me trying to build a hockey team. I have never heard him talk about himself as being better.

54 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Most fans seem to think the draft is a fairly easy task and have no idea how hard it is to look and study an 18 year old and try to figure out if he can mature into an NHL player.

1 hour ago, BlackBeard said:

Nylander, Konecny, Tkachuk could have instantly turned our team around, they were expected to be the best player too.

What's the point? We would still suck anyway. If they were on the Canucks their numbers would probably be way down anyway. Plus, it's unfair to compare players that are in the NHL already compared to guys who are just starting. I don't understand the Konecny-Boeser comparison.

Archived