The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings, Canucks to play two preseason games in China

-Vintage Canuck-

On 24/03/2017 at 2:44 PM, ajhockey said:

Ah, well I guess I've mixed up Bettman and the NHL then. I'm pretty sure Bettman's gone on record saying that he wants to go to the Olympics.

No he made it very clear he doesnt want to go to korea for sure , and explained exactly why. 1040 interviewed him about it. 

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

No he made it very clear he doesnt want to go to korea for sure , and explained exactly why. 1040 interviewed him about it. 

Bettman's rosey cheeks bobble around and around, but you know, and I know, its all about money.

Hockey is the marquis draw at the olympics, and the NHL wants a cut from the IOC and IIHF.

There was a news article maybe 3 months ago, that said the NHL turned down $186m, so you know, and I know, the amount is north of this.

On 3/24/2017 at 2:27 PM, numb3r 16 said:

If the NHL wants exposure screw all these stupid preseason games and take the players to the Olympics.

The Olympics MADE Crosby a household name in the USA, it is the single greatest marketing tool the league has,

And I don't even LIKE Olympic hockey, I could care less about country vs. country don't like the big ice and the  IIHF rules suck

But for the NHL not to take advantage of this is stupid and typical of a league determined to stay small potatoes

if they care about the Chinese market, better go to olympics in 2017.  It's right next door to China, and millions will be watching. China is pouring money into ice hockey so they can have a team for the winter olympics, since host country don't need to qualify. They don't want to get embarrassed.  They are hiring all kinds of foreign trainers, coaches, buying equipment.  

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:43 AM, samurai said:

Winter sports are not big in China.  It will get zero coverage there.    

that's a relative term.  They are hosting the winter olympics. since the announcement, all types of winter sports are taken seriously, kids training hoping to make it.  Country has money to pour resources in. Look at 2008, they won the most gold medal.  

Even if just 10% of them care about winter sports, that's still over 3 times the entire Canadian population. 

16 hours ago, Jaimito said:

that's a relative term.  They are hosting the winter olympics. since the announcement, all types of winter sports are taken seriously, kids training hoping to make it.  Country has money to pour resources in. Look at 2008, they won the most gold medal.  

Even if just 10% of them care about winter sports, that's still over 3 times the entire Canadian population. 

well of course 2008 means the summer olympics and that includes badminton and table tennis both huge sports in China.  Throw in swimming and gymnastics.   In the 1980s China did not win a medal in the winter olympics.  It won 9 at Sochi in 14 with 6 of those in short track speeding skating.   You say that the country has money well of course you are talking about the govt and its members the political and economic elite.    But the average Chinese person only has according to stats around 3200 dollars a year in disposable income. How much does it cost to play hockey in Canada.  A NHL ticket is how much?   A jersey is how much?  If you have ever been to China (i have been too many times to count) the average person on the street is not loaded with cash.   There are China's not China. 

When China got the 22 Olympics they promised 'three -hundred-millions person winter sports plan'.  So as one critic points out they  are trying to create a culture that didn't exist before, so there's no organic tie to the community.    

Beijing is a massive city and if an elite soccer team (Real Madrid) or basketball team like the Lakers showed up it would get decent media coverage.  As for NHL hockey it would get  a 30 second plug on the by the way part of sports and no more.  

Sure great idea to go play a game why not.  But the impact will be the equivalent to throwing a pebble into the ocean as part of trying to build an island.    That island will not be built.    

12 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

The team with the worst travel in the league..let's send them to &^@#ing China to start the year. 

&^@# you NHL and Buttman 

I'm surprised the games weren't scheduled mid-season tagged onto the end of a six game eastern road swing

On 3/25/2017 at 8:34 AM, 6string said:

Having been to China a few times and in both Beijing and Shanghai I will go on record to say that events like this is more a status experience for wealthy egos than it is an event for the curious or hockey loving fans.

Maybe Bettman wants to entice billionaires to buy a failed/failing franchise to secure the weak locations he has expanded into years ago?

Wealthy egos with no interest in hockey won't be going to the games. They will get involved in all the commercial side. In attendance will be hockey loving fans like myself or people curious about the sport.

I'll be sporting my Bure jersey at the games ^_^

Archived