The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Team Toughness

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

I agree with us needing more team toughness, I just don't see how we can establish that kind of culture with players like the Sedins and Edler as leaders of this team. 

For this team to get that pack mentality we got to change the leadership group of this team. Give Guddy the 'C' (until Horvat is ready to take over) and give the alternates to guys like Dorsett and Sbisa (if he's still here)

Signing Peluso wouldn't hurt either.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Sweathog said:

I agree with us needing more team toughness, I just don't see how we can establish that kind of culture with players like the Sedins and Edler as leaders of this team. 

For this team to get that pack mentality we got to change the leadership group of this team. Give Guddy the 'C' (until Horvat is ready to take over) and give the alternates to guys like Dorsett and Sbisa (if he's still here)

Signing Peluso wouldn't hurt either.

Horvat is ready for the role, ask D. Nurse. 

Its his team already. Hank will be Captain this year, then its Bo Time.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BabychStache said:

Horvat is ready for the role, ask D. Nurse. 

Its his team already. Hank will be Captain this year, then its Bo Time.

I think Bo will be a great captain, but there's no point in giving him the captaincy now. Let him be an alternate now and get him to wear the 'C' when he's around 25. 

Horvat can probably already handle the pressure of being captain in this city, but why take the chance? Let him just focus on hockey for the next few years and not have to deal with the wolves in our media, especially since we're going through a rebuild and our media will likely be pretty toxic in the near future.

Guddy on the other hand is more experienced and, like Horvat, plays with heart and physicality which is the example that needs to be set for the rest of the team.

1 hour ago, Sweathog said:

I think Bo will be a great captain, but there's no point in giving him the captaincy now. Let him be an alternate now and get him to wear the 'C' when he's around 25. 

Horvat can probably already handle the pressure of being captain in this city, but why take the chance? Let him just focus on hockey for the next few years and not have to deal with the wolves in our media, especially since we're going through a rebuild and our media will likely be pretty toxic in the near future.

Guddy on the other hand is more experienced and, like Horvat, plays with heart and physicality which is the example that needs to be set for the rest of the team.

Captaincy is not something you change every 2-3 seasons (barring major roster moves). Keep the captaincy('s) with the HOFers and when they have finished their illustrious careers, you hand it off to Bo.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Captaincy is not something you change every 2-3 seasons (barring major roster moves). Keep the captaincy('s) with the HOFers and when they have finished their illustrious careers, you hand it off to Bo.

I have to respectfully disagree, you hand it off to the guy the team needs to lead it now. That means taking it from Henrik and giving it to Gudbranson, and then giving it to Bo when this team is on the upswing again in a few years.

1 hour ago, Sweathog said:

I have to respectfully disagree, you hand it off to the guy the team needs to lead it now. That means taking it from Henrik and giving it to Gudbranson, and then giving it to Bo when this team is on the upswing again in a few years.

We did that with Luongo look how that went

2 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Bo is much more marketable than Guddy so he'll probably get it instead

You're right about Bo being the better choice from a marketing perspective, and that he'll most likely be the next captain. I just feel that given where this team is now, there's no point in giving Bo that extra pressure unnecessarily, not when he's still so young. Gudbranson on the other hand has the attributes to provide the kind of leadership that the Canucks need now.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

You're right about Bo being the better choice from a marketing perspective, and that he'll most likely be the next captain. I just feel that given where this team is now, there's no point in giving Bo that extra pressure unnecessarily, not when he's still so young. Gudbranson on the other hand has the attributes to provide the kind of leadership that the Canucks need now.

Just let Hank keep the C for his last season here and give Horvat the A.  If Gudbranson can't provide leadership without being captain, he has no business wearing a letter.

11 hours ago, Sweathog said:

I honestly think Guddy needs at least a full year without injury before we consider him as captain. No disrespect to him, but it kind of helps to be on the ice when wearing a letter. If he had not been injured last season, then I would have agreed with you, but that's not the case.

On 2017-03-29 at 9:34 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Really think losing Torres was a major mistake by our club's management.

Torres had that rare mix of super skill  / speed / and  toughness 

Hoping Virt can fill that role.  Interesting that Torres was a 5th overall pick.....

Don't buy the "super skill" part but he certainly had a knack for getting suspended......

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Just let Hank keep the C for his last season here and give Horvat the A.  If Gudbranson can't provide leadership without being captain, he has no business wearing a letter.

Couldn't the same be said of Horvat? Or any other player for that matter. Fans put way to much on a letter. Leaders lead regardless of a letter on their chest.

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Don't buy the "super skill" part but he certainly had a knack for getting suspended......

Don't kid yourself .... Torres had a  43 goal season in the OHL and was  a first round fifth overall pick.  Torres had a  27 goal season with the Oilers... He could play and when he was on the ice , the other teams all knew it a......

Edited by kingofsurrey

23 hours ago, Sweathog said:

giphy.gif

Based on him being ineffective defensively or injured most of the year?

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Don't kid yourself .... Torres had a  43 goal season in the OHL and was  a first round fifth overall pick.  Torres had a  27 goal season with the Oilers... He could play and when he was on the ice , the other teams all knew it a......

The OHL is not the NHL. From the time he joined the Canucks his best season was 14 goals/29 points with the Nucks and 15 goals the following season in Phoenix. It was all downhill from there for him leading to a 41 game suspension. You have a very low standard for "super skill".

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I see Horvat wearing an A next season, then the captaincy. I also think Gudbranson will be one of our future assistant captains.

This.

There's no way you take away the captaincy from one of the best players the team has ever had.  That's disgraceful.

Team toughness can be defined in a # of ways.  I happen to like the strong on the puck, durable character guys like Bo.  The players that play the 200' game with passion and NEVER give up.  These are the guys that win you the cup, when the elite guys have been injured or stymied by the opposition.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

The OHL is not the NHL. From the time he joined the Canucks his best season was 14 goals/29 points with the Nucks and 15 goals the following season in Phoenix. It was all downhill from there for him leading to a 41 game suspension. You have a very low standard for "super skill".

Guys that get 27 goals in a season  in the best hockey league in the world have super skill in my opinion.....

But then again i play rec D league...  LOL

Edited by kingofsurrey