The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Team Toughness

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

"Let's discuss team toughness."

"What team toughness?"

"Good point."

Man not only is this team softer than butter on a sponge, they're also no threat on the PP allowing teams to take liberties with our better players and our youth.  Hopefully a healthy Dorsett and Gudbranson will change that next year because the only guys that stood up for our players were Hansen(traded) and Sbisa(most likely plucked in x-pac draft)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

"Let's discuss team toughness."

"What team toughness?"

"Good point."

Man not only is this team softer than butter on a sponge, they're also no threat on the PP allowing teams to take liberties with our better players and our youth.  Hopefully a healthy Dorsett and Gudbranson will change that next year because the only guys that stood up for our players were Hansen(traded) and Sbisa(most likely plucked in x-pac draft)

Molino will go full-on, Chuck Norris? Also Cram & Bouch..3 heavies.

4 hours ago, Qwags said:

Ideally, Pedan surprises and makes the team through camp. Would be nice to have a physical defence.

With Edler, Sbisa, and Hutton on the left side and Tanev, Gudbranson, and Stecher on the right the best Pedan can hope for is sitting in the pressbox waiting for injuries.

On June 4, 2017 at 11:29 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Folino - VAN 2nd round pick + 3rd
Ritchie - Crazy key word :Ppackage deal. 5th overall + Hutton + 2nd/Virtanen/Gaunce for Ritchie + Vatanen. This means they can protect Silfverberg, so it becomes 5th overall + Hutton + 2nd/Virtanen/Gaunce + Silfverberg for Ritchie + Vatanen + Manson  
Reaves - 4h round pick

Wilson - VAN 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick
Kane - No to swap of firsts +Yes to this Granlund/Baer + VAN 2nd
Mackenzie - 3rd round pick 

Edited by CanuckleHorse

On 6/6/2017 at 9:46 PM, Baggins said:

With Edler, Sbisa, and Hutton on the left side and Tanev, Gudbranson, and Stecher on the right the best Pedan can hope for is sitting in the pressbox waiting for injuries.

To be fair, knowing our defense and injuries, it probably wouldn't be long. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

High end skill is far more important than size and brawn. People like to point out the toughness and gritty play that was featured on recent cup winning teams but really the one common denominator is just an overall dominant team regardless of size. 

We might have been most successful when we had guys like Torres and Lapierre but does anyone actually believe that was the reason for such a sustained run of success and dominance? 

Maybe the Canucks got pushed around a lot last season, but getting pushed around is the least of their worries. Teams like the Oilers, Flames, and Leafs show just how far removed the Canucks are from the talent level of these teams.

Edited by Lord Gillis
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Gillis said:

High end skill is far more important than size and brawn. People like to point out the toughness and gritty play that was featured on recent cup winning teams but really the one common denominator is just an overall dominant team regardless of size. 

We might have been most successful when we had guys like Torres and Lapierre but does anyone actually believe that was the reason for such a sustained run of success and dominance? 

Maybe the Canucks got pushed around a lot last season, but getting pushed around is the least of their worries. Teams like the Oilers, Flames, and Leafs show just how far removed the Canucks are from the talent level of these teams.

these teams couldn't get pass Anaheim, a big physical skilled team. :bigblush:

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

To be fair, knowing our defense and injuries, it probably wouldn't be long. lol

There is some truth to that. But anybody saying Pedan should be on the starting "just because" ahead of those six is out of their tree.

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2017 at 6:38 PM, ice orca said:

People have been saying that about Pedan like forever..time for that guy to sht or get off the pot.

Much more likely given that we have a coach who has a functioning brain.  How Larsen continued to be allowed to stink up the joint with zero consequences while Willie refused to even take a look at Pedan baffles me.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Much more likely given that we have a coach who has a functioning brain.  How Larsen continued to be allowed to stink up the joint with zero consequences while Willie refused to even take a look at Pedan baffles me.

Considering Tryamkin's excuse for leaving, Larsson's playing baffled him too.

I want us to have some pushback. Our young guys showed a lot of it late in the season (Hutton and Horvat dropping the gloves). Too many times the opposition taking advantage of us and it sucks cause we don't have anyone that can actually deal with these kinds of things (Dorsett being injured all season). I wouldn't mind us going after Anthony Peluso for a 4th line roll. Can protect the likes of Boeser, Goldobin, Horvat, etc alongside Dorsett.  

Hopefully Pedan makes the team next year as a 6th defenseman. Pedan would bring more physicality to our team than Tryamkin would, and play just as good. Pedan's also a really fast skater (actually won the fastest skating competition in 2016 superskills). Not it means anything significant, but he's no slouch.  Sbisa likely being exposed to las vegas gives him an opportunity.

Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson

Baertschi/Horvat/Boeser

Granlund/Sutter/Goldobin

Peluso/Gaunce/Dorsett

Edler/Stecher

Pedan/Tanev

Hutton/Gudbranson

Biega

Still quite a soft top 6. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I doubt Green will let Pedan anywhere near the team, he knows his job is on the line and he will be more ruthless imo than WD. The rest of your post shows you have no idea how poorly Pedan played when he got a sniff at the team in Van.

Many of you guys are in for a big shock.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I doubt Green will let Pedan anywhere near the team, he knows his job is on the line and he will be more ruthless imo than WD. The rest of your post shows you have no idea how poorly Pedan played when he got a sniff at the team in Van.

Many of you guys are in for a big shock.

Travis Green just got the head coaching job... his job is not "on the line" in anyway. Not this year, at least, and probably not next year too. Year 3 is when he'll be in danger (as that's the year the Canucks are projected to be competitive again.

Andrey Pedan likely makes the team as an extra d man. With us likely losing Sbisa in the expansion draft (Benning and co seem resigned to this fact), Tryamkin's KHL departure, Larsen not returning, nor do I expect Biega will be on the roster as an extra d man (the expansion won't be a factor so he can be sent down without much worry and help lead the AHL club on the ice) there'll be a spot for Pedan to take as the 7th or 8th guy.... which is probably where Pedan belongs, at this point in his career. 

The monkey wrench in all of this is three things. Who we sign as a UFA (I could see the Canucks going after Franson to fill the spot lost by the expansion departure of Sbisa and/or them taking a chance on one of Brandon Gormley and/or Dylan McIrath and probably some combo of Zach Trotman (a former Benning pick in Bsoton), Vincent Loverde (AHL mainstay with the Kings, solid d man buried by Kings depth, and a UFA)... Then there's the possibility of a trade bringing in a defenseman as well as the possibility that Subban, Juolevi, and McEney steal the spot that Pedan was going after... though, in Subban's case, he'll be relied more on his shot and offensive talents and not his "bruising effect" on the ice. (There's also the possibility that the Canucks trade Tanev for the 3rd overall pick leaving another opening on the roster).

With all that said, I fully expect Evan McEney to surprise at camp and snag a spot on the roster. He impressed the coaches this year with his consistency and talent. I could see Baumgartner and Green having a soft spot for him and giving him a spot as the extra d-man and/or bottom pairing guy at the start of the season and see where he goes.

Definitely going to be an exciting offseason for the Canucks, no matter what transpires.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Quantum said:

Travis Green just got the head coaching job... his job is not "on the line" in anyway. Not this year, at least, and probably not next year too. Year 3 is when he'll be in danger (as that's the year the Canucks are projected to be competitive again.

Andrey Pedan likely makes the team as an extra d man. With us likely losing Sbisa in the expansion draft (Benning and co seem resigned to this fact), Tryamkin's KHL departure, Larsen not returning, nor do I expect Biega will be on the roster as an extra d man (the expansion won't be a factor so he can be sent down without much worry and help lead the AHL club on the ice) there'll be a spot for Pedan to take as the 7th or 8th guy.... which is probably where Pedan belongs, at this point in his career. 

The monkey wrench in all of this is three things. Who we sign as a UFA (I could see the Canucks going after Franson to fill the spot lost by the expansion departure of Sbisa and/or them taking a chance on one of Brandon Gormley and/or Dylan McIrath and probably some combo of Zach Trotman (a former Benning pick in Bsoton), Vincent Loverde (AHL mainstay with the Kings, solid d man buried by Kings depth, and a UFA)... Then there's the possibility of a trade bringing in a defenseman as well as the possibility that Subban, Juolevi, and McEney steal the spot that Pedan was going after... though, in Subban's case, he'll be relied more on his shot and offensive talents and not his "bruising effect" on the ice. (There's also the possibility that the Canucks trade Tanev for the 3rd overall pick leaving another opening on the roster).

With all that said, I fully expect Evan McEney to surprise at camp and snag a spot on the roster. He impressed the coaches this year with his consistency and talent. I could see Baumgartner and Green having a soft spot for him and giving him a spot as the extra d-man and/or bottom pairing guy at the start of the season and see where he goes.

Definitely going to be an exciting offseason for the Canucks, no matter what transpires.

A coach's assessment is from the first season and if he can't get it done then I don't see Green being favoured any more than any other coach would be. I do agree that part of the problem for Pedan will be the emergence of other prospects though and in particular McEneny.

If we lose Sbisa to the expansion draft then we drop Tryamkin and Sbisa in one off-season - our two most physical guys all of last season. Gudbranson is literally the only one on the team who can throw a hit and who knows if he'll be injured next season too.

I think team toughness is going to have to come from within. We've got to have guys like Sutter, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen and especially 4th liners like Gaunce, Boucher and any AHL call-up play with grit and throw hits when it counts. The Stanley Cup playoffs weren't as physical as they've been in the past but where it counts is in front of the net and along the board. We have to have our key guys win those battles. They don't need to throw hits to be "physical", they just have to play tough and win battles and hopefully Green has a way to get our guys to win those battles despite their lack of muscle.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎09 at 9:07 PM, Lord Gillis said:

True but if you're not talented enough to win, you should at least be able to be able to stand up for yourselves.